Fun Share Thread: Something you may not know about me

I’m too lazy to find a better thread for this…

I feel like this sums up my best friendships…and what I love about so many of us here on FUD! It’s a compliment. Trust me.

10 Likes

@T1Allison All I need to know is which one of my lights is the “weird” one!! What’s that? They ALL ARE?!

5 Likes

When I was a kid, ‘wierd’ had an attractive connotation - to say “that’s wierd” was to say “that’s strange and interesting”.

For my kids, wierd has a negative connotation - to say "that’s wierd is to say - ‘that’s creepy’.

by the way, am I misspelling the word or is your post above? I haven’t checked yet - of course I can find out … oops - your post is right and I’m wrong. That makes the word itself weird, as it violates that primal rule of english grammar - ‘i before e except after c’

e

11 Likes

It wasn’t until I had to teach reading to other kids that you realize how many exceptions to the rule there are in the english language. Thus making english so much harder than it needs to be to learn.

6 Likes

So you never really know with which witch to say no to then, eh?

5 Likes

It’s easy to understand the problem when you have to crawl into its list of exceptions.

2 Likes

And with today’s auto correct, it can get changed without you realizing it!!

weird

Wierd
(On my screen edit, the wierd has a squiggly line under it to alert me! )

4 Likes

Have you ever heard of the poem The Chaos? :grin:
https://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

6 Likes

Nope, but I like it. Little long for my tastes however. Does capture the pain well though.

3 Likes

I’m a bit of a Dead Head (sang and played rhythm guitar in a Grateful Dead cover band - The Grateful Dads - for ~20 years) …

… and I’ve recently become something of a headphone geek. My latest gift to myself (for my 63rd Birthday - after being absolutely convinced for the past 40 years I was destined to die at age 62):

5 Likes

So does my name - Neil - and people get it wrong all the time. Even people I know well! Weird, huh?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s probably because of the old adage " I before E, except before C". Just spitballing here…

2 Likes

No doubt. But folks treat that adage as if it’s a hard and fast ‘rule’ - there might yet be a lesson on human nature hidden somewhere in this apparently innocent discussion…

:nerd_face:

Isn’t it “Except AFTER C”?

As always I’m probably missing the joke, though. :laughing:

2 Likes

People spell my name like “Hark, the Herald angels singing”

1 Like

Can’t blame them. “Hark” isn’t a common name.

:laughing:

3 Likes

My wife’s name is Dawne, just the final “e” to mix things up. She’s constantly getting called Dwane by people thinking it was mis-spelled. Was particularly interesting when she went to 6th grade camp…and was put in the boy’s cabin!

6 Likes

Lol! My nephew’s fiancée’s name is Juliah, with an ‘h’. She jokes all the time that she’s going to add an ‘h’ to the end of each of their kids’ names, no matter what, just as retribution to her parents. Can you imagine a Davidh or Michaelh? :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Yes! I missed that!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes