From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

@daisymae, stores are supposed to re-open in NYC, maybe you can find a shop nearby that is open to try on shoes?? Or Paragon on 18th St in Manhattan is great, and probably open.

4 Likes

I’m gonna Google Paragon and c what their story is. It would definitely b nice to b able to try on several pairs of shoes and not have to worry about them not fitting and then having to deal with returning them. Only thing is, though, Paragon is rather pricey compared to other stores. But perhaps I could just try things on there and then purchase them on line. Also, Paragon doesn’t really have “Running Experts” there, just a bunch of young kids who havent a clue as to how to help u get fitted properly. I prefer The Super Runners Store here in Brooklyn, bc that’s their specialty. We’ll c :crossed_fingers:

Thx though!!! Good suggestion.

TRYING OUT SOME DIFFERENT BASALS AND BOLUSING:

So last evening was a roller coaster with my BGs. Up down up down and up and down again. But my overnight was a really nice in-target flatline. (57,97,85,78,85) I popped up again 2.5 hours after bolusing for breakfast again, so I thought that it might help to raise my 6am basal by .025 to accommodate the rise. (of course this could possibly b an ICR issue, but I suppose that I will find out tomorrow)

I had a solid night’s sleep, well rested, stress-free, and ready to head out and give this running thing another try. It was just shy of being unbearably hot outside, and I was hoping and praying that I didn’t get heat-stroke. I drank a LOT of water along the way and tons more once I got home.

here are todays stats:

9:30am BG 85
10am BG 107
10:30 BG 112 Turned basal down to 85%
11am BG 103
11:30 BG 121 headed out
12:30 BG 111
1pm BG 104
1:30 BG 83 bolused extra aggressively to try and prevent delayed spike
2 Boost Shakes (32gms) + .6U for replacement basal, totaling 4.8Units. ( I added and extra unit for the shakes today, for which I will be holding Eric accountable for as it was his suggestion
but since he is right about 99.999% of the time, I took his suggestion without argument :rofl:)

we’ll c how this new experiment works out and of course, I will keep u informed.

signing out,
DM

3 Likes

Never do that. It is really horrible! :frowning:

It’s like if you let one guy take you to dinner before the dance, but then when you get to the dance you only dance with another guy, and he ends up taking you home.

If you want these running stores to stay in business, you need to buy from them!

It’s fine to just buy online.

BUT if you go to a store, take up their time, let their sales people take time with you instead of other customers, get measured, try them on, do all of that stuff there, and THEN buy them online, it’s just wrong!

4 Likes

Oh, yes, those are great, too, if you have one in Brooklyn! Good luck!!

1 Like

Excellent run and numbers, @daisymae! 100% TiR!! Wow! Looks like the 85% TB is perfect, at least for today!! I hope your numbers remain stable the rest of the afternoon. I ran a bit early today, too, to beat the heat. I stayed in range the full run, and then post run dropped down for 15 minutes sub 60, then stable, and no spike, yay! Not bad for me. I took .35U bolus about a mile prior to run end when I was at a BG 78. I probably should have made that slightly less, but at least it helped with a no spike.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry!!! Please forgive me :pray: I promise that I will never ever do that.

3 Likes

But just to somehow wriggle out of my faux pas, the sales people at Paragon spend absolutely no time with you, nor do they know much about sizing, fit, or individual needs. They are simply a bunch of young kids working on the clock. The only work that they actually do there is go to the stockroom and bring you back the shoes you requested. To keep your analogy going, its kind of like telling a guy to buy you a corsage, giving him the money to pay for it, he gives it to you and then he leaves.

At Super Runners Shop, I would NEVER EVER do something like that. They are very very professional and knowledgable and patient.

1 Like

:rofl:

Ha! Good one!

You should definitely go there. It is good to be able to talk to experts and get recommendations and try things on. It’s worth the extra money!

1 Like

I thought u might get a kick out of that :rofl:

1 Like

SPIKING: WHAT I FORGOT TO MENTION:

yesterday I spiked from 96 to156. And, unfortunately, despite the extra 1U bolus, I spiked again; this time from 83 to 141. I just gave myself an extra 1/2 Unit IM in my thigh. hopefully that will curb everything and bring down my BG. :pray: :grimacing:

1 Like

Trying, Googled Paragon, they are only doing Curb-Side Pickup. So “officially” they are “open” but in reality they are no more open than anything on line. :weary:

1 Like

Oh, shoot, too bad. I hope you can enter Super Runners.

2 Likes

First off, ur the “expert” and I get my recommendations from you!! :wink:

But seriously, I started off on target all throughout the night and the morning went a little rocky, but I added some correction boluses and I seemed to b doing just fine. when I tested at 9:30, my BG was 104, but when I tested again at 10am, my BG had shot up to 136 with .2 units OB. WTF happened ???

so I lowered my basal to prep for my excursion anyway and am just going to leave the house early. (I also wanted to beat some of the most oppressive heat; 90+ and major humidity today, tomorrow and all week long. UGH)

we’ll c how it turns out. leaving the house in 15 minutes at 10:30am. Will report back later! :sweat:

3 Likes

PS: am doing another experiment today to c if it is my refuel shakes which are the cause of my post run spike. I am not going to bolus AT ALL after I return and then I will see what happens. If I spike, I will just correct and then the amount that I have to correct will become my baseline for future boluses post run. Make sense? Obviously, this was Eric’s suggestion. A bit nervous about spiking but this may clarify some confusion for me. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I AM BLAMING IT ALL ON MY HUSBAND:

Today we left earlier than usual, which turned out to b wonderful. the weather temperature was bearable and there were less people outside.

However, my husband was very incissant with me that we only go out for 1 hour today so as not to get heat stroke. so, I played around with my TB rates to accommodate our walk. Although I ended up with a perfect BG, I had a noticably large drop in my BGs after the first hour. As I said: this is entirely his fault. I typically turn off my TB when I have between 1/2 hour to 45 minutes left before I finish. So, after our first 1/2 hour, I turned off my TB. BUT we ended up going for and hour and 45 minutes today. C’est la vie.

Also, I started out on a high BG again, so I left after only being on my TB for 1/2 hour instead of waiting the full hour, as I usually do. so, there are many factors at play here. but anyway

here are todays stats:

9:30am BG 104
10am BG 136 (don’t have a clue as to why I spiked like this) Turned down basal to 85% (and only used TB for 1hour today from10am till 11am)
10:30 BG 137 left my house
11am BG 128 turned off TB (thinking we would be headed home)
11:30 BG 105 (notice the big BG drop)
12:15 BG 83 finish, drank 48oz water, no bolus for anything.

I would like to add that today we DID NOT do any running, only speed walking. (I am still trying to acclimate to the intense heat), so perhaps my BGs will not spike today bc my body was under less stress and I wasn’t on a TB for very long. we’ll see what happens.

signing out,

DM

4 Likes

These numbers look pretty great to me! Could the morning spike be due to coffee? This happens to me. I will often spike from morning coffee which makes it a bit difficult to get to 0 IOB since Loop gives me small boluses as my BG climbs!

Still starting at 136 is perfectly fine, and gives you a buffer as your exercise uses up some of that glucose. I think that is what happened since you dropped right away. I guess if you knew you would be out for another 45 minutes you could have left your TB go longer but ending at 83 is really perfect!

I’m really interested to hear how your Boost experiment goes, too!

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t drink my Boost shakes today post workout, and I didn’t spike at all. if anything, I ended up on the lower end of the spectrum. (76 by dinnertime) So I am baffled. there are many variables at play here:

1. didn’t do any running, just speed walking
  2. left earlier so it was not as hot out (less stressful)
  3. didn’t stay on TB very long at all
  4. didn’t refuel with any carbs afterwards

could be one or any combination of these. will try again tomorrow and see what happens. Perhaps Eric will chime in with some sage words of wisdom :wink:

I’ll keep u posted on how my evening goes. Right now I am contemplating if I may need to lower my basal at all for the night.

2 Likes

So just to make sure I am all caught up, you finished and took no insulin and had no shakes, like we discussed a few days ago, right?

And you did not spike?

So is seems to me that the answer to the spikes you normally have is simple. You need more insulin for the shakes.

4 Likes

Yes, I did everything that we discussed. No bolus, no shakes. I even ended up going low after dinner (not bad, though, just 65, which was easy enough to correct (I’m at 75 now after some chocolate :yum:)

so tomorrow, I plan to go out for the same amount of time (maybe a little longer), and just do the speed walking (no running). I am wondering if my having turned off my TB early helped me from not spiking. What do you think? Perhaps I should try that again?

Also, how much more insulin do you think I should try taking tomorrow for my 2 shakes? I’ve been taking 3.2 Units (100% IC) plus 1 extra unit, plus another .5Units (basal replacement) (none of which I took at all today)

I was curious bc I was only on my TB for 1 hour total, so I didn’t bother doing any replacement for it. Perhaps if I repeat that tomorrow, I will not have to bolus for any replacement either.

your thoughts on that, please :pray:

2 Likes