From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

Thanks Chris ( and Trying) for the joyful support. Means so much to us. I just love the FUD community! U guys r the greatest :partying_face::ok_hand::+1::heart:

4 Likes

Yay DM! Lots of really incredible things since I was last here. Most importantly so glad your husband is ok, and happy anniversary! :heart:

I’m so happy you’re able to continue to get such great exercise. Your shoe comment above about how they stunk - PLEASE make sure you get proper and supportive shoes soon. When you ramp up the amount of miles you’re going (like 9 a day wow!!) compared to smaller amounts before, that could put you at risk for some injuries. It’s not perfect, but I know that some running stores are doing “online fittings.” I recommend that over just picking out shoes since we all have different arches and angles within our feet so it’s important to get the right shoes for your feet.

Hmmm, ya getting sports bras off is much harder than getting them on. I do fear about my back of arm cgm sometimes especially after a long run and I’m just exhausted and kind of careless. I don’t think I ever have ripped off a cgm while taking off my sports bra, but it definitely has gotten in the way. I don’t know if I have many recs on this other than trying to stretch the bra around your arm with the libre on it (but you’re probably doing that already!)

I have to go (making homemade ice cream!), but please let me know if you’d want my thoughts on some of your BG data. Don’t mean to step on @Eric’s toes tho :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Really, please share your thoughts with DM! She’s heard from me for a long time, so getting fresh insights would be great for her.

Plus you have all the street cred - marathoner, med school, lotsa T1 years, getting close to being a doc.

I know you have good things to share, so please do!

5 Likes

DO TO A MISERABLY PAINFUL SUNBURN
:

sorry guys; no workout today. my sunburn is so bad and so painful that I cannot even put my sports bra on. Oy Vay. I am even taking Tylenol!

also I don’t know for certain, but I’m experiencing weirdly high BGs (for which I am on a TB to accommodate ). Could this b a result of the sunburn?

Please chime in if anyone has had experience, first second or third hand etc, or if u merely have a thought or opinion about this possible theory of mine.

4 Likes

Sorry for your sunburn!!

No, sorry, I’ve not experienced high BGs due to sunburn, but I wouldn’t be surprised that it could happen! Any sort of stress to the body can cause high BGs for me!

Take care, stay out of the sun, and maybe put some aloe vera on the burns.

4 Likes

I’m the exact same way. ULTRA sensitive to stress. (even a bad dream can set it off :boom: )

Funny u should say that: we went to CVS this afternoon, and I am slathering it all over my shoulders, arms and back. (thankfully I was in a right enough mind to have worn a hat with a large brim :+1: )

(but I did have to take two more Tylenol
ouch!)

3 Likes

BACK ON THE TRAIL AGAIN

was able to get my sports bra on this morning without too much pain, but I will only b speed walking today bc my husband had a biopsy done the other day and cannot run with me. (today’s Saturday and our day together, so I will b accommodating his needs)

I am not certain what TB to use, so for right now I have set it for 65%. I haven’t a clue if that is too low. we’ll c what happens and, of course, I will report back when it over.

3 Likes

POOR JUDGEMENT BUT A SOFT LANDING:

so this morning I was trending low, despite taking Gtabs, waiting 1/2 hour, testing again, needing to take another Gtab (bc nothing had budged one iota), and then after I turned my basal down (65% TB) I was STILL trending down , so I took another Gtab. But I was impatient. I was layering those tabs on top of one another (not waiting long enough, I guess), and then my BG (seemingly all of a sudden) just skyrocketed!!! Man was I pissed and disappointed with myself :grimacing: :weary: I went from a nice 70 to an upwards trending 146 in half an hour. Well, what’s a girl to do but leave the house immediately and get a move on!!!

So, we left earlier today than usual, and it was much more pleasant out. warm, but only 72 degrees out and breezy. Not particularly humid, either.
I walked as much as I could with my husband, but there were points where my body just HAD TO RUN, so I ran and then I ran backwards to him and then ran ahead again. Tomorrow, I will b on my own so I can run as much as possible without leaving him behind and feeling any guilt :wink:

here are today’s stats:

9:15am BG 69, took 1 Gtab
9:45am BG 70, took another Gtab turned down basal to 65%
10:15 BG 74
11am BG 146 (damn it all) turned basal up to 70% and left the house
12pm BG 148
12:30 BG 133 turned TB off (100%)
1:15 BG 100 drank 48oz water and bolused for 32gms refuel

It felt good today. I felt strong. I had no breathing problems at all, no heart pounding either. Perhaps my lungs are getting used to this kind of exercise. Of course, it could have been due to the difference in the weather. But I was able to do 8.5 miles. not bad.

curious to know how the evening will go!!!

sizing out,
DM

(Oops, editing since I posted this: its been a half hour later and my BG shot up from 100 to 136. I bolused a correction. We’ll c what happens :pray:)

(Oops, editing again :rofl: : since my last post my BG shot up to 170. Took an IM shot in the thigh of 1 unit. we’ll c if that works :weary: :pray: )

3 Likes

You gotta be super careful when you are doing reduced basal AND taking carbs at the same time!! I know you already know that, I am just pointing out the obvious, which is probably annoying. Sorry!

What IC did you use for the refuel? Normal amount?

When you were swimming, you did partial basal replacement and also a smaller refuel bolus. But the important thing was the total amount of insulin you were taking.

As I have mentioned before - if you are doing basal replacement AND a fuel bolus, or just doing a fuel bolus and not replacing basal insulin, the important thing is the total amount you are taking, not what you are “calling” it!

This goes back to one of those general rules I have frequently mentioned to you - be aggressive with correction insulin, but conservative with correction carbs.

You need the carbs when you are done, but you just gotta make sure you are taking enough insulin for it!

Look at your total amount today, and let’s examine that and adjust it.

2 Likes

I took 100% IC bolus for refuel. that’s what I have been doing since I began this type of workout. This is the highest I have ever spiked.

when I was swimming, I needed replacement basal bc I was on ZB for 4 hours. Then I would only bolus 50% insulin for my refuel carbs. Worked like a charm. very reliable every time. With the running, I am having a real range of results. I am so lost and confused.

according to my sensor, I have stopped spiking. Maybe I have caught up with it and the IM shot will kick in. I gave it to myself about 1/2 hour ago when my BG was 176.

1 Like

I did no basal replacement for my TB. I have yet to do any replacement bolus. the only thing I have done is bolused 100% IC for my carbs. (ur first suggestion to me, which worked right out of the gate)

A few possibilities

When you are swimming, the water is always about the same temperature, compared to running, where it can be crazy hot, or not as hot.

I think your swimming workouts were generally more consistent in terms of your pace and effort. The running and walking workouts are more varied for you so far.

You were sunburned, which is probably a stress factor for your body.

Swimming was more relaxing for you. So far the running is not as mentally comfortable yet (but it will be!) because you have the pandemic worries and face masks and heat and extra stuff in your mind. This is another stress factor that changes from one day to the next.

Your body will adapt to this. The workout will soon feel more normal, and your spikes will not be as frequent or as high.

In the meantime, I think you gotta be aggressive afterwards. If you are aggressive and you drop, it’s no big deal, you just have a snack and enjoy a treat.

Also, it might help to try this earlier in the day or later in the evening, so it is not as hot!

2 Likes

Great minds think alike :rofl: Today I left the house earlier and the temperature was MUCH more comfortable. Also, today there was very little humidity, which made everything much easier. The thing is, though, that todays workout felt very easy-breezy. I didn’t feel any stress or trouble catching my breath. my muscles felt strong and comfortable. And although I did sweat, it wasn’t as bad as my last time out (due to air temp).

2 Likes

why is there a spike anyways? What causes the spike?

A few things. Reduced basal for an extended time. Plus sometimes you are taking carbs on top of the reduced basal. That can catch up to you.

That one is easy!

Here is the part that is a bit more complicated. Your body has a lot of different hormones working all the time. Bunches of different things. But let’s talk about 2 of them that are at work here, and how they are different in how they cause a BG spike.

Here is an overly simplified example, which speaks only of 2 different hormones that can have a big effect, and also explains how they are different.

You are walking through a very dangerous neighborhood late at night, and you have a pocket full of cash! It is very scary and dangerous. You are nervous. Your body is on edge, so it wants to have fuel available for an emergency! It releases cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone. It helps your body have fuel ready. How does it work? It prevents insulin from working as well, which means the glucose in your blood rises. Rather than allowing the glucose to go into your cells, or be put away and stored for later, the glucose is ready for you in an emergency. More glucose available in your blood means higher BG.

Next

Oh no! You see a mugger and he wants to take your money! You start to run. Good thing you had that fuel available! Now, your body uses a different hormone - adrenaline (also known as epinephrine). Adrenaline helps you run from the mugger! Faster heart rate, increased blood circulation, and more fuel! It causes your liver to release stored glucose so you can run from the mugger. (And the released glucose from your liver also raises your BG).

This is overly simplified, but a good way of understanding it. Chew this up bit by bit. See if all this makes sense.

3 Likes

Also I wanted to add that these hormones are always working together, in varying amounts, along with a million other things in your body. All doing things at the same time in various amounts. It isn’t just one or the other.

And so many other things are happening with them too! The production of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources (called “gluconeogenesis”) is increased by adrenaline. While the production of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources is inhibited by insulin!

I wanted to mention this as another example because there are so many things going on with your body, that just trying to put it into simple formulas that only look at carbs, BG, and insulin is just never going to get the whole picture.

Which is why I always tell you to use The Force!

2 Likes

I guess that in some ways swimming spoiled me. I didn’t really put much thought (today) into the fact that the water would always be cold, that my pace would, for the most part, be similar, that the amount of time that I was swimming would be the same. that the time on ZB would b the same. that the basal replacement would b the same
on and on.

BUT, it took us a long time to find that sweet spot which worked fairly consistently. of course, I was always relying on my best(learned) judgement to make adjustments when my BGs were different from day to day. I havent really been able to use the Force yet, I think, bc I am in new waters (no pun intended
but you know what I mean). I am traveling a new road and understand that I will have to have some patience, fortitude, and maintain my courage and willingness to b flexible and adjust.

thanks for all of your adrenaline and cortisol examples. I was enlightened and very amused :+1: :rofl: all at the same time.

1 Like

Should I b considering adding some replacement basal after being on a TB for 3.5+ hours? ZB replacements were pretty simple, bc I would just calculate ALL of the missed basal and then bolus. taking only 50% insulin for my Boost Shakes afterwards was your suggestion and it was spot on. Right now, so far, I am bolusing 100% IC insulin for my shakes (1:10 ).

For replacing basal, a few things to consider.

• If you are on a reduced or zero basal for a very long time, it will have more of an impact than a shorter time.

• A ZB is going to be much more of an impact than only a reduced basal.

• The more carbs you’ve had while on reduced or zero basal, the more replacement you will need.

• Depending on what your BG is doing when you are finished - rising, falling, or flat - that will also be a factor on how much replacement basal you need.

There are a lot of things to consider, and that makes formulas difficult!

But if you want to use a formula to calculate a starting point, maybe you can adjust from there.

For example, maybe your starting point is - take 50% of all your missed basal, and 100% IC for your snack. But then adjust that up or down depending on some of the differences, like if your BG was rising or falling. Or if your reduced basal was longer or shorter. Or if you took a lot of carbs while running, or just a few carbs. Things like that.

Don’t be locked into a formula. Just use it as a starting point, but then use The Force to adjust it up or down. How does that sound?

3 Likes

I’m so confused :crazy_face: