From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

USING A LOWER TB RATE BEFORE HEADING OUT:

1hr and 15minutes before heading out, I lowered my basal rate to (as was suggested to me :wink:) 50%TB. something new to try to avoid the during run low BG. it worked better than yesterday’s (60%TB) but I did go low during my workout. Still, I have confidence that I will find my best formula; I just need to b patient and continue trying different rates and timing, and I am certain I will get the hang of this new type of exercise. :+1:

here are todays stats:

12pm BG 94
12:15 turned down basal to 50% TB
1pm BG 97
1:30 BG 100 ate 7 wheat thins and headed out
2:30 BG 89 took 2 Gtabs
3pm BG 68 took 1 Gtab and turned my basal back up to 77%
3:45 BG 93 drank 92oz water and some Goat Milk yogurt
4:25 BG 113
5pm BG 119
5:15 BG 110
615 BG 150 turned basal up to 80% TB and bolused for dinner (and gave myself a correction bolus on top of that, hoping that this would ward off the spike)

don’t know why my BGs rose after this workout. perhaps some of u other runners have an answer for me. I would b very grateful for any ideas or explanations or things that I could have done differently, so that I will put it into effect for next time.( I have, though, a sneaking suspicion that I did not increase my basal rate high enough before the end of my run.)

The weather today was comfortable. I received my running shorts (with a back zipper which was extremely helpful), a running bra that actually fit, and some tank tops which allow for a great range of motion. (I will, unfortunately, have to return the other things that did not fit; this pandemic is a wee bit inconvenient as I cannot try anything on before purchasing :crazy_face:)

I ran a lot more today than I speed walked. but I felt strong and comfortable. I am setting a goal for myself that in one month’s time, I will have progressed to purely running, without the speed walking. I hope that I can achieve this!!

singing out,
DM

5 Likes

If I am reading this correctly, you finished around 3:45, I don’t see any reference to a bolus afterwards, then you had some yogurt and later turned your basal UP to 80%, which means it was less than 80% afterwards.

I would suggest after you finish, you turn your basal back to 100%, take insulin, and take carbs.

I think that would help you with 2 things. It would help prevent that spike after you finish, and it will help prevent you from going low all night.

3 Likes

I am a little confused. When you say “when you finish take insulin” do you mean replacement insulin for the time I was on 50%TB or do you mean to just take insulin for my refuel/carbs?

(also, I havent changed my basal profiles yet, so 80% is really still at a 100% TB)

Also, if u mean “take insulin” how do I know how much insulin I should take?

2 Likes

Yes! :grinning:

It is only a matter of finding the right amount to take. The key point is to allow your body to process the carbs right after you are done. Without insulin, the amount of carbs you can process is extremely limited.

Mostly the way is to try something and then see if it was too much or too little.

The amount won’t always be the same. It will also depend on your BG at the time, the direction your BG is moving, how quickly it is moving, the number of carbs you are taking, the workout, etc.

But let’s use some of what you learned from swimming and apply that as a starting point

Carbs right after is an important thing to do. Either dinner or just a high-carb snack.

3 Likes

When I was swimming I was on ZB for 4 hours. I did “replacement bolus” to cover the amount of insulin that I missed during those 4 hours.

now, I am on 50% basal for approx. 2.5 - 3.5 hours. do I need to replace that missed insulin as well? Or would I just need insulin for the refuel carbs I am going to take?

Still confused. sorry :grimacing:

Also, when I finish, I am relatively flat. but within (only sometimes) 1 hour, my BG will rise (and sometimes, like yesterday) my BG will shoot up
but not always. there doesn’t seem to b a rhyme or reason for this to me. I am totally puzzled.

1 Like

If you are dropping, be a little more cautious. But in general, I think it is good to aggressively bolus for carbs, especially since you will probably also eat dinner a little later. If you are dropping at dinner time, it is no big deal.

Since you are on 50% for your runs, maybe a good starting point would be to just bolus for carbs using your normal full IC ratio. Don’t worry about replacing the lost basal, since I think when you were swimming you were only bolusing for 1/2 of that anyway, right? Since you are on 50% basal, just don’t worry too much about that right now.

As always - try it, see what happens, and then adjust next time!

3 Likes

these numbers already look great but knowing you, they’re going to get better and better!

Hope the heat is not too oppressive. I remember visiting NYC in summer. It is not a dry heat, haha.

4 Likes

OMG!!! It is stifling. And with wearing the mask it is even more so. What I find happening is that I am gasping for air, huffing and puffing, like never before. totally winded. And I don’t get it bc when I was swimming my lungs were so strong; this never happened to me before. (maybe it is using different muscles to breath??? doubt that though
I think its just the combo of the weather and the masks bc in the pool there were no weather issues and I did not have to b wearing a mask :wink:)

Thx for ur encouragement. it means so much to me, u have no idea.
btw, I got a bunch of NIKE running gear that actually fits (finally; and now I am going through the “pandemic process” of returning the items which did not fit. Oy Vay, what a nightmare :grimacing:)

I wore the shirt and shorts out yesterday, and it was wonderful, except I am returning the shirt (even though it wicked well) bc I feel like I have no range of motion in my arms. the sleeves are just too fitted. bummer. But I did re4ceive two tank tops and they r wonderful, and although I should b a size small in the sports bra, I ended up needing the medium. BEWARE OF NIKE’S SIZING if u should ever order from them. the tops r way too tight, and the bottoms run large. BUT, from all of the research I’ve done, their products seem to b the best bang for the buck $$$ and their quality is excellent.

thanks again!!!

3 Likes

I am planning on returning to refuel with my Boost Shakes after my workout. they were extremely effective and consistent every time (although, when I was swimming, I only bolused for about 50% of the carbs.) we’ll c how bolusing for 100% of my ICR works out, though. live and learn :smiley: :+1: :running_woman: (I plan on pacing myself
LOL )

2 Likes

TESTING OUT A DIFFERENT BASAL RATE:

so this morning when I turned down my basal, I turned it down to 60%TB for 1 hour and 15 minutes before heading out. I was trending down when I was getting ready to leave, so I ate 6 Wheat Thins before.

I don’t know if 60% was too low a basal reduction, or that I just should have skipped the Wheat Thins. My BGs were considerably higher than ever since I started. I did come in on a nice soft landing, but overall I felt disappointed with my numbers.

when I left the house it was 86 F and very humid, and it just kept getting hotter the longer I was outside. However, I was well prepared bc my running gear came, so I was properly dressed for my workout. I did more running today than I did in the past and I was terribly out of breath from the heat. but I did lower my mask and take in some fresh air when there were no other people in my space. I tried to b cautious but I really needed to breath :wink:

here are todays stats:

10:15am BG 110 turned down basal to 60%
11am BG 103
11:30 BG 99 ate 6 Wheat Thins and headed out the door
12:15 BG 129
12:45 BG 127
1:15 BG 115 turned TB off
2:45 BG 108 bolused 100% for 32gms carbs and protein ( same Boost Shakes I drank when I was swimming, but instead of only bolusing for 50% of the carbs, I bolused for 100%; an experiment) I am very curious which direction my BGs go from here and through the evening.

I will post some pics of myself in my new running gear. I look far more appropriate than since the last pics I posted !! :rofl: :+1:

singing out:
DM

4 Likes

5 Likes

I know a certain company out here in Beaverton that very much approves of your purchases.

3 Likes

Whats their name? I hope its U :wink:

Just wanted to add that I ended up spiking quickly from 108 to 139 but I immediately did a correction bolus of .5 units and drank a gallon of water, and now my current BG (almost 4 hours later) is back down to 80 and all I have left OB is .1 unit.

I am waiting for Eric to finish his race today (started this afternoon ) so he can share some sage advice so that I will have a better plan for tomorrow’s workout. :smiley:

3 Likes

@daisymae LOVE the photos of you on the East River and Manhattan skyline!! :sparkling_heart: :running_woman: :city_sunrise:

Nice gear, too! Are you wearing the SPIbelt that Eric recommended? Did you have it sized to fit you?

3 Likes

Yes, I am wearing the Spibelt. it was too lg for me but I managed to shorten it so that it works. it’s 200% awesome!!! it’s light and comfortable. there are 2 small zippered pockets, but they stretch, so they fit a lot of stuff inside each of them. I keep my Gtabs, a pencil and piece of paper in one pocket, and 2 Transcend gels in the other. I wear my meter and strips on my wrist (the one that Eric made for me) and I keep my lancet in the back zippered pocket of my shorts. all very lightweight and nothing interferes with range of motion or bouncing as I run. :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Great, thanks! I’m looking to replace my Nathan waist pack as it is wearing out, and I need one with 2 separate pockets, one that does not bounce. I considered the FlipBelt but I think it would be uncomfortable in NY heat and humidity!

2 Likes

RAN LONGER AND STRONGER TODAY:

Appropriately dressed in my new gear, but didn’t think to put on any sunblock. I got quite an interesting sunburn. I’m kind of striped :rofl:!

I felt good and strong. It was very very hot out today, but relatively no humidity so it was actually quite comfortable.

I truly did not know what to expect today. I used the same TB today as last time, but I used my insulin differently, trying to kind of mimic what I did successfully when I was swimming. ( I turned off my TB 45 minutes before finishing, and I didn’t drink my Boost Shakes until it had been 1 full hour after increasing my basal rate)

here are today’s stats:

12pm BG 87 turned down basal to 60%
1pm BG 80
1:30 BG 86 ate 3 Wheat Thins (not 6!) and headed out
2:30 BG 74 took 2 Gtabs and kept on moving
3pm BG 65 took 1 Gtab and turned my TB OFF (now 100% basal)
3:45 BG 69 bolused 2.7 units for 32gms carbs (100% ICR)
drank 48oz water, and waited 15 minutes before drinking my refuel shakes (which would b 1 full hour since I had raised my basal rate) I think that this increase in basal and my choice of wait time before drinking my shakes is what kept me from spiking today. (but I won’t know until I can repeat the test)

5pm BG 83

will keep you all posted on how the evening progresses. Anything goes :rofl: I truly don’t know what to expect.

I will not b running tomorrow as I must take my husband in for out-patient surgery. They won’t let me into the hospital, so I just have to sit in the car outside and wait for about 4-5 hours. Please pray for him (and us)

Today is our 27th Wedding Anniversary!!! (how did I get so old???)

signing out,
DM

5 Likes

Whats the FlipBelt like? Did u c it on Amazon? or a runners site? Do they make one for women (so the sizing would b right)? Very interested to know!

The Spibelt is made of some kind of stretchy fabric that is very hot against ur skin. I have to wear it over my top around my waist. Beware of that.

But PS: the Spibelt accommodates my very large iPhone !!!

1 Like

Yep, on Amazon and it is rated #1 for running waist packs. Yes, they have various waist sizes so the women sizing should be correct.

The FlipBelt is also made of stretchy fabric so I bet it is probably hotter than the Spibelt since it has more fabric that goes around the hip / waist. I like to wear my pack on my hips so that it doesn’t interfere w/ my pump which I wear on my waist area.

4 Likes

Happy anniversary!

Your numbers look PERFECT today! Wow! Are you kidding me?!?

And good thing you did not do 70%! :wink:

4 Likes