From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

Im so totally psyched, u have no idea. and currently I am on the NIKE website checking out more attire :blush:

4 Likes

Iā€™m late to the party.

1. When did you become a blond? I thought you were a brunette? Either way, your pictures are super cute and youthful!!
  2. I LOVE Kohlā€™s TEK sports bras and shirts. Economical and well made. All of the major sports brands Iā€™ve tried for bras over the years have given me rug burn under my should blades from being so d@mn rigid. I have a sporty frame. I donā€™t need to keep my boobs from flying off to the moon or anything. TEK gear is where itā€™s at for durability and comfort for me.

Youā€™re a diabadass! No matter the conditions!

4 Likes

well, hereā€™s the scoop:

I was always blonde until menopause set in, then very slowly I became a ā€œdark blonde.ā€ then I started to c those very few (but still there) silver hairs creeping in when I buzz cut my hair. so, I grew my hair back out and highlighted it blonde again (this hides the silver straglers :wink:)

then the pandemic hit and I have about 3 inches of dark blonde roots coming in. I am seriously considering buzzing it off again!!! (more out of convenience than anything else)

Thanks for the tip on the Kohlā€™s TEK sports bras. Like u, I am also an athletic build and donā€™t need to worry much about bouncing around :wink:.

4 Likes

AN EXPERIMENT WITH A TEMP BASAL:

so today I was also having trouble keeping my BGs up above 70, so 1 hour before heading out, I turned my basal down to 80%. when I was ready to leave, I was still in tight range, but I ate 2 Gtabs and 6 wheat thins.

today was hot but breezy, but once again, running without proper gear was hellish. ā€œrunningā€ is not (yet) the proper word, but its my goal :+1: :crossed_fingers:.

today I did intermittent jogging and speed walking but I amped up the pace. more intensity as well, and I went a 1/2 mile farther than Iā€™ve been doing (according to my iPhone app). I was able to get in a nice 8.5 mile workout, and felt strong ( yes, I unveiled my mask to breath a couple times), and I ditched the latex gloves today which definitely made a huge difference.

I am feeling stronger, and I am noticing that my muscles are beginning to become defined. but its interesting to me bc the definition is quite different than where it was when I was swimming. I am, though, very much looking fwd to getting ā€œcutā€ :muscle: :leg:

here are todayā€™s stats:

10:30am BG 76 turned down basal to 87% and took 1 Gtab
11am BG 93
12pm BG 81 turned down basal to 80%
1pm BG 101 took 2 Gtabs and ate 6 wheat thins and headed out
2pm BG 131 turned TB up to 90% (just thought I needed a little extra insulin)
2:30 BG 82 took 2 Gtabs
3:05 BG 67 took 2 Gtabs
3:50 BG 110 ate some Goats Milk Yogurt and drank 72oz water turned up TB to 95%
4:40 BG 88
5:15 BG 72 took 2 Gtabs and more Goats Milk Yogurt (hope I donā€™t crash bc of drinking so much water!!!)

The next few days r rest days, and I will b very curious to c what my IS will b.I have already had to change my ICRs since I started this journey, which has only been for the past 2.5 months. I have also had to lower my basal profiles as well.

anyway, I am hoping some of the FUD running experts will chime in and offer me some sage advice and suggestions. I am up for trying anything (truly, anything) as I still donā€™t know exactly what I am doing.

signing out,
DM

5 Likes

Hey, these numbers are great!!!

First, I will start working with you on the gear stuff, starting tomorrow! Tomorrow will be cool, just you wait!

As we get the gear stuff tested out, then I have an assignment for you next week.

And after you do that, we can start working on a bit of a plan for running.

Can we get you in a race, once things open back up a little bit in NYC? I think you can win some stuff.

5 Likes

How utterly ambitious u r :rofl:. I mean, can u give a girl a chance before propelling her into the atmosphere??? Iā€™m still sweating it out with my blue jean shorts and heavy cotton T-Shirt. And that darn mask ainā€™t making anything any easier (my goodness is it difficult to breath under it!!!) :mask: :wink: :blush:

3 Likes

:rofl: my greatest fear in life!!

Iā€™m still waiting on my running definition to set in :smile: :sweat_smile:

These are great!!! So it looks like the 80% TB was helpful before starting the workout, but combined with the 2gluc tabs and 6 wheat thins at the start might have been a bit much for the beginning. I think the wheat thins are a great start snack since some will kick in quick and some will bring you up later. I donā€™t know if those 2 gluctabs at the start were necessary on top of the upward trend from the TB before starting. Next run, if youā€™re heading out the door and BGs are already moving up due to a pre-jog TB, maybe try out a handful of wheat thins and no gluc tabs.

So you were running an 80% TB in the first hour of working out then you turned it up to 90% which, combined with the continued exercise, brought you down 50 mg/dl in a half hour, and then another ~15ish even with 2 gluc tabs! Thatā€™s decently steep! I think that you might need less than 90% TB for the jogging youā€™re doing right now.

IDK if this is a thing, @Eric probably has some insight, but I feel like Iā€™m way more sensitive to my insulin when working out in the heat and humidity. Probably just more effort to do the same workout. Just something Iā€™ve noticed recently that I figured Iā€™d share since a lot of us will have to be outside if we want to get our jogs in

6 Likes

I will definitely ask him. Iā€™m totally unfamiliar with this bc I am used to swimming in a cold swimming pool in which u donā€™t even feel like u r sweating. obviously I must b sweating, but I have never once felt it.

PS: next time I go out, I wonā€™t change my basal rate until I am finished with my workout. Iā€™ll c how that works for me. I can tell already that this will require a lot of trial and error!!!

2 Likes

OK, Itā€™s me again. just thought I would post something that might b of help to anyone reading this thread.

after my workout today, I lowered my basal to a 95%TB. it definitely wasnā€™t enough of a reduction. at the end of my dinner, my BG dropped to 45. I immediately took 2 Gtabs and lowered my basal down to 90%. I waited 1/2 hour to test again, and still my BG hadnā€™t budged one iota. My CGM read ā€œLOW.ā€ (as if I didnā€™t know that :rofl:) as I am writing this, my hands r shaking and I have that god-awful metallic taste in my mouth. I just took another Gtab and had some yummy chocolate. trying to wait it out while the lowered TB takes over (about another hour and a half). Iā€™m just feeding the low until then.Also, my dinner should start being absorbed, so that should help. fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Yikes, sounds like a bad low, @daisymae.

I agree with everything @LarissaW said regarding TB.

I recall that you love to walk, and that you usually would need a TB when youā€™d take your 2+ hour walks. This was when you were still swimming. So I think your runs probably require even less insulin. The 80% is a good start but you may need to lower it even further. I use a couple of different TB on runs, like you did today, but just different numbers, and it does depend on what the BG is doing. For example, today I ran 9.5 miles, almost the same as you. I used a 30% TB but it only kicked in if BG was greater than 100. An hour later I switched to a 70% TB because BG started to trend upward. About 1 mile left in the run, I reverted back to my normal basal to try to head off the post run spike. Youā€™ll likely need to do something similar, but for me, no run is the same, and Iā€™m always making adjustments! So maybe Iā€™m not the best one to give advice!

6 Likes

preach! And totally agree with your comments on insulin needs when running.

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that I am not the only one spiking after I finish. this happened to me several times in a row, and I couldnā€™t understand it. After a 2 hour swim, I would def have to give myself a large bolus to account for the 4 hours of ZB during my swim prep and swim (not a waterproof pump) and then I would give myself insulin to refuel. this is soooo different.

4 Likes

@daisymae,
Larissa has a very important point here:

Since you were rising, you have to look at that too. Donā€™t just look at the current number, look at the direction you are heading at the start of the run.

Your heart (and your entire body) has to work harder in the heat. So it makes sense that you are seeing that.

The same speed and distance - at a higher temperature - is actually a harder run for your body. You will see a difference and need to be more aggressive with insulin adjustments when it is hotter outside.

Yes! :+1: As @Trying has said, I can see you being at 50% for walks soon. And when you start running more, being at ZB.

Just like when you are swimming and need zero basal - and also @LarissaW can attest to this when running - you might need to be at zero when you start increasing the amount of run time!

6 Likes

Wow! ZB. way bk when I used to run, I was at 60% TB. but this was way way before I joined FUD and tried to set an appropriate target range. my A1cs were in the 8s bk then and I knew very little about my own D (I blame this on my idiot endo that I had at the time and the fact that things like the pump and CGMs werenā€™t available)

I received the Spibelt last night from AMAZON, and it fits ok (a little lg but ok) I canā€™t tell u how excited I am to ditch the backpack!!! :blush:

I just know I am going to love this adventure. The challenge frightens me a little, as it was when I started swimming, but what the heckā€¦Iā€™m one persistent adamant chick. when challenges face me, I try and put everything I have into diving in head first (no pun intended).

much love and appreciation to all who r helping me jump into this. I am forever grateful :star_struck: :heart: :running_woman:

6 Likes

Also,I am curious, when I get down to using ZB, after my run will I need to do the replacement insulin bolus just like I did when I was swimming? like for 4 hrs of missed basal? and then, perhaps, doing 50% bolus for my refuel?

2 Likes

Yes for replacement insulin. We need to figure out a good amount. Starting with the same formula you used for swimming would be a good place to start.

And when you are still walking a lot, a ZB might be too drastic. But with more running, a ZB would probably be correct.

3 Likes

for swimming I would replace for 4 hours of ZB. so I would use a part of my hourly basal rate to calculate my replacement; for example, if my basal rate was .65 and I was on ZB for 4hrs, I would bolus for .6 units per hour, totaling 2.4 units.(although sometimes less if I had worked out more intensely)

make sense?

This shouldnā€™t be necessary, unless your only option is to run in really crowded places. Catching virus while outdoors if unlikely especially if social distancing (I can cite the articles concluding that if you havenā€™t seen them). Instead of wearing a mask all the time, I run with a mask around my neck, and lift it only when approaching another person; they do the same and everyone is happy.

Before I tried running with a mask, I cut my lawn while wearing a mask for the first time. It showed me two things - first that I do have allergies to pollen and grass since this was the first time I didnā€™t end up coughing and itching at the end. But it also proved that long term exercise while wearing a mask is a disaster - the mask was so soaked by the end that it wouldnā€™t let air through and I was straining to get a breath through the mask (it was a standard surgical mask). Using the mask only when close to or passing other people works really well, so if you can find a path or a time when not many other people are out I think that may be a better solution for you.

Not a running expert, though Iā€™ve doing it for 45 years since I was first diagnosed with T1. My body is better suited to sprinting than it is to long distance (I used to do timed quarter miles for fun), but when I started rowing crew in college our coach had us do distance runs which I enjoyed so Iā€™ve been doing it ever since. In the winter I always use my rowing machine, three times a week (alternating days) plus activity on the weekends. Even with watching music videos or listening to music indoor exercising gets old after awhile though, so I always look forward to getting outside when the weather is nice, and with covid times meaning lots of time at home plus beautiful weather Iā€™ve been able to switch out weekly rows with runs.

I should note that Iā€™ve never felt the need to compete with my running - the motivation comes from enjoyment in the process and trying to improve for myself. I did competitive athletics in college and donā€™t see the need now. Especially since competitive runs seem to always be done in the morning which is my least favorite time to exercise. I exercise in late afternoon when lunch bolus insulin is several hours behind me, so basal insulin is my only insulin on board. (Plus the animals are switching to their evening sounds which might be the best part of exercising while the sun is low in the sky).

The fact that Iā€™m using basal/bolus instead of a pump is probably the biggest difference between us (other than the obvious fact that being male I donā€™t think about my own boobs one way or the other, period. Not that I donā€™t ever think about boobs, though :wink:). And I have to say, I donā€™t change my basal schedule when exercising - I inject the same basal amount in the morning regardless of whether Iā€™m going to exercise or not. The Tresiba I inject in the morning doesnā€™t get in the way of my runs. I of course bring glucose with me, though I rarely need to take any.

Iā€™m doing 10K runs, and try to start out at the high end of normal (say 120), maybe eating some fruit or other carb before setting out if my BG is trending down. And of course I am ready to eat my evening meal when I get back so inject insulin and eat my meal, starting with some fast carb if I am trending low after my run, which I typically am.

Last thing to add, is that the reason you may have to take in so much glucose and make complex pump adjustments while exercising may be that you are doing it for so long? My exercise sessions are quite a bit less than 30 minutes while rowing and 60 minutes while running. Prolonging your exercise sessions for multiple hours may be causing some issues for you? Could you just go out and come back - maybe using your mask only when needed might help you in this regard?

3 Likes

I do the same, as do those I pass on the trail. I have the mask on for about 100ft before and after passing anyone. It makes a huge difference esp in the heat! My fear is if @daisymae is running in Brooklyn there may not be too many convenient paths without people!

3 Likes

As a Brooklynite in NYC, Social Distancing is virtually impossible. And I have absolutely no desire to wake up early and be out running at 6am. Like urself, I prefer to go out in the afternoon. By 10am I no longer have IOB from Bfast, so if I skip lunch (this is exactly what I did when I was swimming and it worked out very well for me), and then head out, I find myself smack in the petrie dish of COVID. there r runners and cyclists and crowds everywhere. SO, this being said, I keep my mask on. Not just to b respectful of others, but to protect myself (there r many people who simply wonā€™t wear masks, and they are sneezing and coughing, etc, and I donā€™t want THEIR germs near me)

every now and then I lift up the mask to take in some fresh air and to catch my breath. But this is the current situation here where I live. I hope it passes. But who knows when.

thanks for ur post, though.

2 Likes