From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

Another day of great numbers! Yay!! I think 9 miles in 2 hours mixed with speed walking is fantastic, especially in this heat with no shade! Btw, do you carry water with you? In this heat, you probably should be drinking to stay hydrated.

If I spike from a run, it will always begin within a few minutes after run end. YDMV though!

4 Likes

YES!!! Always. And there is a fountain on the peer where I can refill my water bottle. (phew, cause I drink a LOT of water.) I sweat like a pig in this heat, so water is a MUST!

I used the same “formula” today as I did the other day: I raise my basal rate back up when I was about 30 minutes before finishing my workout. Then I drink gallons of water and bolus for my refuel. I don’t drink my refuel until its been a full hour after I have turned my basal back up. This seemed to work well the other day, and so far today it is working as well :grin: :+1:

I just wanted to put something out there:
I have found that the more water I drink the more accurate my CGM is.

does anyone else have this happen to them?

4 Likes

My finger stick read 66; my CGM read this. Pretty close!

4 Likes

I have seen others mention this, too. I myself have nit observed this, but I am not overly observant either! :frowning:

3 Likes

Silly! 113 is not “so” high! And if you if it was lower, you would have had less fuel and would’ve crashed!

Your numbers look great!

Make sure you buy from places that let you try them and return them. Some shoe companies give you 30 days to decide, and you can still return them!

Check out Nike’s 30 day return policy!
https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/help/free-returns

If you run fast enough you won’t get a sunburn because the sun’s rays won’t be able to catch you.

3 Likes

Yes! Read this:
figure-out-your-sweat-loss

3 Likes

Very Helpful but a bit confusing for my wee brain. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think that this is fabulous, but I was hoping to order from New Balance, and their policy is not so friendly. You may only return UNWORN items within 60 days (extension return due to COVID-19) :grimacing:

I’ve never owned a pair of NIKE shoes so I havent a clue as to which size to order, and BTW, returning during this pandemic is a nightmare, even though NIKE seems to make it sound very easy. Trust me on this one bc I have ordered from NIKE already, and to get to a representative either by phone or by online chat takes HOURS. (and although they are VERY kind and helpful, you must provide your own shipping package, one each for each separate item (u cannot put everything in one box…which would be the obvious choice!) :grimacing: :rage:

2 Likes

ANOTHER IMPORTANT QUESTION (for women):

I wear the FSLibre on the back side of my upper left arm. Very comfy there. However, although I was able to find a proper fitting sports bra, I am having a terrible time putting it on and taking it off after my workout (fear of knocking the sensor off my arm while squeezing through the sopping wet bra).

Any other ladies out there have similar issues? Please chime in EVERYONE, bc I need some tips!!! :pleading_face: :heartbeat:

PS:

my husbands surgery and biopsy came back today, and he is Cancer Free!!! (we are over the moon with gratitude and relief!!!)

9 Likes

Great news!! :heart:

4 Likes

Fantastic News! No bra tips from me.

4 Likes

@daisymae So glad your husband is fine! Phew, what a relief!

4 Likes

Thanks Chris ( and Trying) for the joyful support. Means so much to us. I just love the FUD community! U guys r the greatest :partying_face::ok_hand::+1::heart:

4 Likes

Yay DM! Lots of really incredible things since I was last here. Most importantly so glad your husband is ok, and happy anniversary! :heart:

I’m so happy you’re able to continue to get such great exercise. Your shoe comment above about how they stunk - PLEASE make sure you get proper and supportive shoes soon. When you ramp up the amount of miles you’re going (like 9 a day wow!!) compared to smaller amounts before, that could put you at risk for some injuries. It’s not perfect, but I know that some running stores are doing “online fittings.” I recommend that over just picking out shoes since we all have different arches and angles within our feet so it’s important to get the right shoes for your feet.

Hmmm, ya getting sports bras off is much harder than getting them on. I do fear about my back of arm cgm sometimes especially after a long run and I’m just exhausted and kind of careless. I don’t think I ever have ripped off a cgm while taking off my sports bra, but it definitely has gotten in the way. I don’t know if I have many recs on this other than trying to stretch the bra around your arm with the libre on it (but you’re probably doing that already!)

I have to go (making homemade ice cream!), but please let me know if you’d want my thoughts on some of your BG data. Don’t mean to step on @Eric’s toes tho :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Really, please share your thoughts with DM! She’s heard from me for a long time, so getting fresh insights would be great for her.

Plus you have all the street cred - marathoner, med school, lotsa T1 years, getting close to being a doc.

I know you have good things to share, so please do!

5 Likes

DO TO A MISERABLY PAINFUL SUNBURN…:

sorry guys; no workout today. my sunburn is so bad and so painful that I cannot even put my sports bra on. Oy Vay. I am even taking Tylenol!

also I don’t know for certain, but I’m experiencing weirdly high BGs (for which I am on a TB to accommodate ). Could this b a result of the sunburn?

Please chime in if anyone has had experience, first second or third hand etc, or if u merely have a thought or opinion about this possible theory of mine.

4 Likes

Sorry for your sunburn!!

No, sorry, I’ve not experienced high BGs due to sunburn, but I wouldn’t be surprised that it could happen! Any sort of stress to the body can cause high BGs for me!

Take care, stay out of the sun, and maybe put some aloe vera on the burns.

4 Likes

I’m the exact same way. ULTRA sensitive to stress. (even a bad dream can set it off :boom: )

Funny u should say that: we went to CVS this afternoon, and I am slathering it all over my shoulders, arms and back. (thankfully I was in a right enough mind to have worn a hat with a large brim :+1: )

(but I did have to take two more Tylenol…ouch!)

3 Likes

BACK ON THE TRAIL AGAIN

was able to get my sports bra on this morning without too much pain, but I will only b speed walking today bc my husband had a biopsy done the other day and cannot run with me. (today’s Saturday and our day together, so I will b accommodating his needs)

I am not certain what TB to use, so for right now I have set it for 65%. I haven’t a clue if that is too low. we’ll c what happens and, of course, I will report back when it over.

3 Likes

POOR JUDGEMENT BUT A SOFT LANDING:

so this morning I was trending low, despite taking Gtabs, waiting 1/2 hour, testing again, needing to take another Gtab (bc nothing had budged one iota), and then after I turned my basal down (65% TB) I was STILL trending down , so I took another Gtab. But I was impatient. I was layering those tabs on top of one another (not waiting long enough, I guess), and then my BG (seemingly all of a sudden) just skyrocketed!!! Man was I pissed and disappointed with myself :grimacing: :weary: I went from a nice 70 to an upwards trending 146 in half an hour. Well, what’s a girl to do but leave the house immediately and get a move on!!!

So, we left earlier today than usual, and it was much more pleasant out. warm, but only 72 degrees out and breezy. Not particularly humid, either.
I walked as much as I could with my husband, but there were points where my body just HAD TO RUN, so I ran and then I ran backwards to him and then ran ahead again. Tomorrow, I will b on my own so I can run as much as possible without leaving him behind and feeling any guilt :wink:

here are today’s stats:

9:15am BG 69, took 1 Gtab
9:45am BG 70, took another Gtab turned down basal to 65%
10:15 BG 74
11am BG 146 (damn it all) turned basal up to 70% and left the house
12pm BG 148
12:30 BG 133 turned TB off (100%)
1:15 BG 100 drank 48oz water and bolused for 32gms refuel

It felt good today. I felt strong. I had no breathing problems at all, no heart pounding either. Perhaps my lungs are getting used to this kind of exercise. Of course, it could have been due to the difference in the weather. But I was able to do 8.5 miles. not bad.

curious to know how the evening will go!!!

sizing out,
DM

(Oops, editing since I posted this: its been a half hour later and my BG shot up from 100 to 136. I bolused a correction. We’ll c what happens :pray:)

(Oops, editing again :rofl: : since my last post my BG shot up to 170. Took an IM shot in the thigh of 1 unit. we’ll c if that works :weary: :pray: )

3 Likes