For a few hours I was cured NOT!

I had a really strange day today. I bicycle ride regularly and do a group ride once a week that is longer in distance and duration. Since I began using C-IQ I don’t use activity mode. On group ride days I eat my regular breakfast with the same prebolus, and just before the ride begins eat a nut bar that has 9g of carbs. This is often a perfect combo for me. On the ride out my BG will slowly rise to 125-130mg/dl and on the way back will slowly decrease to the mid 90s.

This morning was really weird. At 4:00 I woke at 95 which begin rising (FOTF) to 106. I did a correction of 0.6u and at 5:15 ate breakfast of 24g carbs without the usual prebolus of 1.4u because BG was 90.
7:04 BG worse to 123 and I rode to a friends house for espresso - ymmm!. When I got to her house BG dropped to 83 so I ate a 9g nut bar. After coffee we rode back to the start place and BG was now 92 so I ate 2 glucose tablets. I ate my last nut bar on the return as BG was not 82. FInished the ride with no bolus but that 0.6u 5 hours earlier.BG rose to 110 then 119 dropping back to the 90s until I got home and ate lunch. DId not prebolus waited until BG went up and gave 3u.

Here’s a crappy picture with annotations .

@needlesandmath recently posted about trying to work out how to run and manage blood glucose levels. What I have learned is, every time I think I have it figured out, it changes. Keeps life interesting, Paraphrasing that Chinese curse, “May you have an interesting day with diabetes.”

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing @CarlosLuis . To me–without knowing what your baseline rides look like–this seems terrific. You obviously have the whole process of bumping and nudging to keep yourself in range down pat. Can’t wait til these tricks start to become second nature. But since I just passed Year One of T1, I’ll give myself a little slack.

5 Likes

It’s the best piece of BG reporting I have ever seen.

The “83” looks like a drop-out from the sensor. I suspect that, because you caught it and corrected, the internal correction algorithm of the sensor did not cut in and you did better than that algorithm. I’m assuming G6, like me, but I don’t think the Libre’s are different.

No one really knows what the “normal” variations for a non-D are; too little research. There is a post-prandial spike, so the 70g, well, for me I simply can’t bolus enough for that…

So your documentation is most excellent, but I still disagree with you; you are cured. Like I’ve said before, we can do better than non-Ds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You just have to be able to go with the flow. And don’t be hard on yourself. It takes a while to really get a handle on it and as today’s ride, that handle is sometimes covered in grease - slips away.

3 Likes

I didn’t post the 3 finger sticks I did 5:08 80, 9:07 95 and 1:25 82. No I can’t do a finger stick while riding like a certain person on here does while running. Some people are talented.

4 Likes

Hydration may be what you see. The changes are well within the accuracy of a CGM or meter. Enjoy the rides. Careful about stacking on top of a bolus with exercise. Really look like there was no issue at all.

2 Likes

There was no bolus for breakfast until 30 minutes or so after a late lunch. That’s what’s so odd. Usually I pre bolus for breakfast and then for lunch. I drank 2 water bottles during the ride, probably 40 oz.

2 Likes

Nice line on that BG!

The BG printout looks neat. It reminds me of the old-fashioned polygraph machines that had the moving paper and the pen that moved up and down and drew on it.

4 Likes