Fitbit Versa vs Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch

Hey Everyone!

I am curious if anyone has any experience with both the Fitbit Versa and Galaxy Smartwatch, and how they work with Dexcom. Just trying to figure out which direction I want to go.

Though there are probably other things that should (and do) matter to me, these are definitely on the list:

Ease of use (I am not particularly tech savvy - though I do like to tinker with things once they are running).
Vibration - the device is useless to me if I can’t feel a good, strong vibration with it. If I have to rely on sound, I won’t even consider it.
I have converted back to an Android phone, so it has to be compatible with that.
It’s important that I be able to share my data with my spouse (he is still using Apple, but that can be easily fixed, if necessary).

These two devices are close enough in cost, so I could go either way. Anyone have any feedback for me?

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t have a Versa but have a Fitbit Ionic.

There is no official support for Dexcom. So you would have to use xDrip+ or similar. Fitbit had said Dexcom support would come in 2018, but that never happened.

The Fitbit devices have no speakers. So there is no sound option, only vibration. The vibration on the Ionic set to “strong” is enough to wake me from sleep as my morning alarm (though I do also have an alarm on my iPhone as backup). But I’ve hears some complaints that the vibrations are too weak.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Dexcom app could be used on the Versa. I’m really hesitant to go with a watch if it doesn’t have a good enough vibration since use of the Dexcom is the only reason I would get one.

@Suitesis I have a FitBIt Charge 2. If it integrates with Dex, I don’t know. I do know that it vibrates when I get a text message. I’m guessing I only sense the vibration a little less than half time I receive a text.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Fitbit has said repeatedly in product releases that they have plans to make it work with Dexcom. They said it would be implemented by the end of 2018, but that didn’t come to fruition. Hopefully it’s a feature they are still working on.

2 Likes

I just started using Fitbit Ionic, and found this for dexcom CGM (G4) display.

The data source can be Dexcom (follow), xDrip, Spike, Nightscout. I set up mine with xDrip.

The fitbit online discussion also mentioned another one developed by user, but I did not try that one.

1 Like

I have tried Glance and like it, especially the out of range alarms that seem to vibrate non-stop until acknowledged. This is much more effective at waking me up than my phone. I’ll be trying it when I switch over to the Libre with MiaoMiao and xDrip (iPhone).

The only downside is that it appears to me that Glance only works (with Dexcom as a data source, at least) if both the watch and phone are on the same wifi network. Otherwise, no data is sent. I’m hoping this won’t be the case with xDrip.

1 Like