First Impressions on Dexcom G6

I think you can use Xdrip+ and get additional life out of the sensors. I am not sure how long you get out of the new transmitters. You definitely could get extra life from the G5 ones.

xDrip was easier to extend sensor with older transmitters. No action required depending on settings. Old transmitters would allow restart from dexcom app or receiver, but required a start new sensor (on existing sensor), while xDrip ignored day count and kept going after 10 days.

Current transmitters will allow restart, but more work to trick it into thinking there is a new sensor in transmitter. Requires transmitter to be removed while sensor stays on body. Then wait 15-20 minutes (to trick transmitter into thinking next connection will be for new sensor), then put transmitter back on existing sensor. Do start new sensor, wait 2 hours. Sometimes fails on restart or may give good readings for 1-10 days.

Primary reason is to lower total cost by reducing number of new sensors you need to buy.

Transmitters can no longer be extended either, with xDrip. They cannot be “hard reset” in xDrip like the older ones could.

Using the standard Dexcom software, G6 transmitter will continue to work past 90 days but not much longer than 10 extra days. Possibly a bit longer according to some users. At that rate, it will take a few years to have a spare by extending transmitters 10 +/- days every 90 days. It might be worthwhile to buy a spare direct from Dexcom if needed for travel in 2021. I don’t know how Medicare works, but with private insurance I was usually able to obtain early refills for sensors and transmitters if I requested before an extended trip. Might be worth a try once your travel schedule is firmed up.

1 Like

There has been an evolution of changes made by Dexcom in the path of Dexcom Seven, G4, G5, G6, and next year G7.

Many of the older discussions were related to early G6 or before. We could easily use sensors and transmitters longer than Dexcom intended.

Dexcom kept changing their products to ensure we used them as designed, and FDA tested and approved.

Current G6 is pretty locked down. In US, only G6 is available, although may be a few older products in customer hands, continuing to use hacks to keep them useable (replacing transmitter batteries).
G7 due out next year, and we’ll see if there are any hacks. Most think not likely.

Most people “extend” use to save money and build a backup supply, in case of late shipments, financial changes/loss of insurance.

4 Likes