First Impressions on Dexcom G6

Hi. Just a note. I use SkinTac liquid. Put on my skin and also the adhesive on the device. Have never had a problem with sensor falling off. Guess I’m lucky that I don’t have any bad reaction to the SkinTac. Good luck. Also I calibrate once in awhile. Usually the first day of new sensor. I never see much difference. I wear on upper arm

4 Likes

Hey @CarolynA, your run was so awesome when we went to see you!

That is so amazing! (The babies!)

I’d love to see you (and the babies)! Now we live in CA, in Berkeley.

3 Likes

So do I: it works really well for me on the G5.

Great, thanks very much for the tip!

3 Likes

Here is my summary of the first 10 days:

• I had to calibrate once, at the end of the first day. Ever since, it has been close to my manual tests.

• It lasted the full 10 days. I was impressed, since I was having a hard time getting the G5s (pretty old) to last a week.

• I only had a few moments where the sensor signal was down, about 1.5 hours over the full 10 days.

• I don’t like the fact that the app does not tell you why you don’t have a signal, when you have a problem. The G5 app used to tell you if it was a signal loss or ???

All in all, it has worked surprisingly well so far: better than I expected, or feared. I have not tested it yet through harsh athletic conditions (such as a lot of sweat).

I am not quite sure if I can just restart it like the old ones, so I just put on a new one this time. I’ll do some research on restarts before the next one is through. Maybe :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That is similar results to what I get. The 1.5 hours of signal lost seems like a lot. I occasionally loose signal, but definitely not that much. Hopefully that improves for you.

4 Likes

Yeah, you can restart. You have to take the transmitter out of the sensor a short while so it resets. They don’t give you a tool to take it out like they did for the old one.

You can use test strips and slide them in the sides to pop the transmitter out.

So take the transmitter out carefully so you don’t remove the sensor, let it stay out for about 15 minutes, then put it back in and do a startup.

I think for restarts you have to say “no code” on the startup, and just do calibrations. Not 100% sure about that.

4 Likes

I have reused the code successfully but have a difficult time popping out the transmitter so don’t restart the sensor very often.

4 Likes

I too am using FSLibre system and like it even with it’s limitations. Thanks to this community I learned how to optimize the system. My DE has wanted me to get the Dexcom system but I’m thinking about trying the new FSLibre 2. I have had great experiences with customer service at Libre. I look forward to hearing how people are liking the 2 system.
Cheers

4 Likes

I’ve been restarting with the code that came on the sticker for that sensor…seems to restart G6 sensor flawlessly although at least 2 calibrations are needed the first 24 hours to bring the sensor into decent accuracy.

The downside to restarts is unpredictable timing for eventual sensor death. Sometimes (at least for me) life is smoother if I can plan ahead for a new sensor. When they die abruptly after a restart it can screw up my day to day.

5 Likes

For me, that is also true for the G5 ! Not sure about the G6 yet.

@daisymae, are you using the Libre version with alarms? Or the one that always requires the reader?

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for my FSLibre 2 with the alarms. I have been using the 14 day Libre with the reader.

4 Likes

Are these restarts done via a phone app, via the receiver, or either?

3 Likes

I have now done them both ways. I really don’t think it matters.

I don’t use the code, so for me the restart is the same as the G5 except that I have to take the transmitter out and wait 15 minutes. Other than that, it appears the same.

I don’t get a whole lot of time out of a restart. I just do it to make the timing of adding a new sensor better for my schedule, and to try to squeeze an extra day or so, in order to make the re-order process not screw up availability of having them.

5 Likes

I do restart from Tandem pump, which pretends to be a receiver.
XDrip on phone then recognizes it and joins in.

4 Likes

I had tried it before for a few weeks last March. The no-calibration thing was ridiculous. When I did the code and did not calibrate, the numbers sucked. And if the thing doesn’t know it’s wrong, it isn’t gonna get any better.

1 Like

I was having great success with G6 for several months since changing from G5. Today I was shut down by my first bad sensor. The precursor symptoms were occasional “sensor error” dead time over the past few days. But accuracy was still good.

In case anybody has not seen this yet, G6 gave me this screen on Day 7:

3 Likes

Yes, I believe I’ve seen this before. I’ve had several sensors stop working well before the 10 day expiration. Location seems to be my main problem. Once I identified best locations, they seem to reach the 10 day expiration most times. The other issue is if I don’t wait the 20 minutes between stopping the expired sensor and starting the new sensor. That 20 minutes makes a huge difference for me. They are much more accurate when I delay starting the new sensor.

3 Likes

Uh oh…since that sensor died at 10PM I was in no mood to wait. Slapped the new sensor on and started it up. Todays accuracy has been surprisingly good so far.

1 Like

I don’t blame you for not waiting!! Glad it has good accuracy, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had problem with adhesive, ONCE. They send you a, I think a six-pack of adhesive tape ring that you peel the protective cover and stick around the sensor on top of the adhesive that is attached to the sensor. And you are good.
But, before I joined today, I was reading some of the postings about how people collect a lot of sensors and transmitters. Uptil now I thought that once the sensor expires, you have to change it andsame with the transmitter. Did I understand correctly that people use the same transmitters way, way past the expiry? I’d like to collect a few sensors and transmitters, because (well for now I am not rravelling because of COVID), I do plan to go out, for may be couple of months, even out of country. I get my CGM paid by Medicare, and they are very strict about how much I can have. They send a new pack when the last one is on, or about to be put on. I am drooling on the possiblilty of collecting a few extra, “for the road”.

1 Like