Favorite snack that won't raise BG?

Any favorite snacks that don’t require an insulin bolus?

5 Likes

Excellent question. I have cheese in that category… and maybe turkey wraps, but those don’t really feel like “snacks”.

I have “snacks” that don’t not raise my blood sugar…

And I have liquids that don’t raise my blood sugar but also aren’t solids.

I’ve got nuthin. Excellent question. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ll eat a handful of nuts, but they don’t seem to satisfy that “snackiness” craving. After all, shouldn’t a snack be salty and you can eat as much as you want (within limits)? :hugs:
I have found that roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (without the shell) are pretty great. And I can eat about as much as I want. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: A 1/4 cup only has about 5 g CHO.
So, they are my favorite right now.

2 Likes

Hard boiled eggs.

I boil a dozen at a time and put them in the fridge.

For us about half a unit per egg so not zero insulin but low insulin.

4 Likes

These are very yummy. I should’ve mentioned these. I like these when I’m hungry but want something low carb.

If only I knew how to boil them myself and not have to buy the over-priced, over-boiled ones are the store. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Don’t scoff, but I keep a bag of Hershey Nuggets in the fridge. Only 5 grams carbs, and very satisfying. I just let it melt in my mouth.

I certainly can’t eat 10-15, but just one usually does it. And don’t forget, I over basal (MDI) by about seven or eight units so I don’t have to bolus for 5 grams a couple of times a day.

7 Likes

Forgot to mention a snack for when you are hungry between meals, old fashioned low-fat 1% cottage cheese. 1/2 cup is only 3 g CHO and a pretty generous serving.

1 Like

That’s about what I do, too. …,

1 Like

If you like the hard boiled eggs, then you are really close to Gochujang deviled eggs. Just cut 6 of those bad boys in half, pop out the yolks and mash them with 1 T Gochujang, a little chili garlic sauce to taste, and instead of mayo use a little blue cheese dressing to hold everything together. Low carb, and really tasty. If you miss the red dusting powder for look, use smoked paprika.

3 Likes

what is gochujang?

I like hard-boiled eggs too and microwaved American cheese that tastes just like cheeze-its!

1 Like

This is Gochujang

Korean Chili Paste

Olives and/ or Pickles!!

3 Likes

Oooo! Me too!

I also like sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper on them.

3 Likes

One of my all time favs: start with diced tomatoes and avocados, ads some fresh Mozzarella and sprinkle with a little bit of aged Balsamic vinegar!! It’s the bomb :bomb:

6 Likes

@Millz That sounds like something I would want to take to a dinner party, not a “diabetic” fill-in-for-a-real-snack!
Yum! :avocado::tomato:

2 Likes

I tend not to snack, but these are things I’ll often have for lunch that don’t raise my BG or require a bolus. Though I confess I very rarely choose what to eat based on whether I need to bolus or not.

Avocado cut in cubes, sprinkled with lemon juice, soy sauce, and a drizzle of good olive oil, a little flaky salt and toasted sesame seeds on top.

Leftover cooked chicken stirred up with fresh red chili, fish sauce, lime juice, neutral oil, and cilantro or mint.

Shaved fennel, celery root, or zucchini dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Burrata or fresh mozzarella to make it exponentially better.

Leftover roasted or sauteed mushrooms. I always make extra when I’m cooking mushrooms, just to enjoy leftovers. Cold is good. Heated up with a little cream and Parmesan is better. On toast is best, but then you’d have to bolus.

5 Likes

Celery stalks filled with cream cheese w Lawry’s Seasoning Salt – which is high in sodium and does have teensy carbs, but 3 of these don’t raise my BG.
Also cheeses, olives, small palmful of almonds (plain!), & stuff like dat!

4 Likes

Because they are not carb-free, these may lift up sugars a bit, but I find that Quest Protein Chips and Shrewd Foods Protein Balls are really tasty (and REAL snacks!), and in most cases do not impact my blood glucose levels (according to Libre). Net 2-4 carbs per serving.

3 Likes

My favorite quick snack is definitely cheese, in many varieties. Dark chocolate also tends to work quite well in a modest serving.

For a sweet treat, there’s a type of traditional Swedish chocolate cake that is somewhat related to a brownie but much more dense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kladdkaka

The original version has a whole bunch of sugar in it, but with some alternative sweeteners the result is pretty much the same. I also make it less sweet and darker, with more cocoa, since I prefer it that way. Using substitutes for the flour, I get a result with just a few grams of carbs per serving. The best thing is that I can serve it to my non-D friends and they won’t even notice a difference.

1 Like