Eversense Bridge Program

Eversense started a “Bridge Program” today (March 1) for self funders. I have not found it on the Senseonics web site yet however Advanced Diabetes Supply is aware of it and can process the discount and ship the supplies to your doctor’s office. The Bridge Program provides the initial sensor and transmitter for $99 and one additional sensor after 3 months at $99 (plus your doctor visit to insert each sensor is a separate charge estimated at $200 each). So the Bridge Program looks semi-affordable for 6 months of Eversense use.

Using this discount I am on track to start the Eversense sometime this month. My three main reasons (more like hopes) to look forward to temporarily switching from Dexcom G5 to Eversense are: (1) The transmitter will alert without carrying a phone or receiver. This will help me out a lot when I play ice hockey, bike or hike, driving, etc. when I am not paying attention to my phone, and (2) I have had three G5 sensors lately that did not last as long as desired. One quit early and was replaced by Dexcom, the other two only lasted 7 to 9 days. My whole CGM affordability plan is based on getting at least two weeks out of each sensor. Considering my co pay for one G5 sensor a week this Eversense will actually cost me a little less than Dexcom use. And (3) I like trying new things! Will endeavor to keep everybody posted…

7 Likes

John, this is pretty good pricing. What happens after 6 months? Do you go to normal pricing? If so, what is normal pricing?

I agree this intro pricing is good. After 6 months the intro prices are no longer available. The list prices after that are high…I filed them away in the “too expensive to self fund” side of my brain. Back in September Byram told me my 20% co pay would be $255 per sensor and $150 per transmitter. However my insurer does not cover Eversense.

1 Like

This sounds good. Think I might try them myself. Mabey buy the time the 6 months is up insurance will cover.

1 Like

This “Bridge” program was discussed more on a conference call today.

Senseonics is picking up cost where insurance does not. They are considering this an investment to pick up a larger customer base. The company will pick up the cost where the insurance company is refusing coverage. The company will then prepare and submit appeals and try to get the coverage decision reversed. If reversed then the company gets paid and presumably the end-user gets coverage when time for a new sensor.

Sounds like a reasonable program if somebody is interested in trying out this technology.

Also sounds like the “Bridge” program will be rolled out over the next few weeks - a bit vague as to timing but sounded like maybe the “Bridge” program will be completely in place prior to the start of April? (but timing is a bit of a guess)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the follow-up goals after the initial 2 sensors! Something to look forward to…,

I am making progress with the Bridge program and (unless there are snafus) scheduled for inserting sensor #1 on March 20. My Dexcom G5 transmitter hits 90 days on March 19 so I am hopeful I can wear both the Dexcom and Eversense for 2+ weeks at the start.

So far the only snafu I am aware of was a switch from Advanced Diabetes Supply to Solara Medical Supplies to process the Eversense order. Still tracking down the status of that order with fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Remember that the G5 transmitter should last a total of 112 days. You basically get an extra 3 week grace period.

That would be ideal to be able to compare them both !!!

Good Luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

3 Likes

I am joining @Thomas in wishing you good luck! I can’t wait to read about the results.

2 Likes

Update: Unfortunately Senseonics works with DME vendors to order and ship the sensor and transmitter. On March 4, Advanced Diabetes Supply told me they were “ready to ship.” On March 6, ADS was struggling with prior auth from my insurance. I sent them my written denial of coverage letter from late 2018 but apparently they felt that they needed to try again. On March 12, Eversense let me know they changed suppliers to Solara. Solara has been trying to get everything in order to ship but could not make it in time for my March 20 appointment. Right now they are waiting for the prescription…which has been sent out multiple times via fax.

So far, the cast includes 2 endo’s, Solara sales rep, Eversense sales rep and me making multiple phone calls and emails for about the last two weeks. Hoping to reschedule the insertion for next week.

2 Likes

Oy! @John58 this sounds like a Shakespearean tragedy. For purely selfish reasons I hope it all works out and you get your cgm. I also hope it is everything it is purported to be. I have met the sales/marketing and UX people for Senseonics several times in the last few years and have been/continue to be very interested in the product. It is a product that I would seriously consider in lieu of the Dexcom. As luck would have it, they will have a booth at my local TCOYD again this year so I can continue to be a nuisance and ask to be included in future trials or UX studies (free stuff, yay!). When you do get your new CGM, I for one would be very much interested in your experience.

1 Like

I am all in on trying the Eversense for the 6 month bridge period…will breathe a sigh of relief when it gets shipped. Still feeling confident it will happen.

2 Likes

I’m sure it will happen. It always takes more time than we would like though, yes?

1 Like

I am rescheduled for April 1 to start the Eversense…that is day 102 on my G5 transmitter so I will have about 9-10 days of overlap time to compare.

2 Likes

Yay @John58!!! Congrats on enduring the paperwork bureaucracy. Look forward to your impressions and observations of the 2 CGMs.

2 Likes

Eversense came out with the Bridge program on their web site. The link is:
https://www.eversensediabetes.com/patient-bridge

2 Likes

@John58 Thanks for the link. Guess I have some reading to do now…

1 Like

I am going to start a new thread about the Eversense but figured I’d wrap up the description about expense and logistics of the Bridge program. I have 7 days left on my G5 transmitter so can do some comparing.

Well the Eversense was shipped out (finally) and sensor inserted yesterday, 4/1/19. This had already been denied by my insurance so everything was out of pocket. So far, I’ve paid Solara (the DME supplier) $99 for one 90 day sensor, one 12-month transmitter and some supplies (charger, 100 pieces of special Eversense double sided tape, etc). My regular endo is not yet trained/certified to insert Eversense so I went to a referral. I paid him cash $220 for the insertion. He also billed my insurance for a prior office visit required for him to review my BG, discuss, and coordinate the prescription paperwork with Solara.

There was a sales rep and a trainer attending the insertion; both seemed quite knowledgeable about comaprisons with Dexcom, etc. as well as training me for starting the sensor, calibrating, using the app to adjust settings.

When I left, I made an appointment for 91 days after the insertion. The nurse hinted that its possible to get more than 90 days out of the sensor and I figured I’d give that a try before my second sensor.

3 Likes

How do the numbers and sensitivity on blood sugar swings compare?

There is a warmup/initial calibration period that will run through this afternoon. Time will tell how the numbers line up!

1 Like

It’s unfortunately still not available here in Canada. I will carry on with my Dexcom 6.0 and my adhesive allergy.

Makes it tough as none of this is easy, especially with an allergy to the Dexcom adhesive.

1 Like