Easy to dose French crepes for lunch today

Today my Mom made French crepes. I had three. It was really awesome and I did not run high! So I think it is a good thing for people with diabetes to have when they want to splurge with sweets.

My Mom’s recipe is really easy and fast, and takes 15 carbs per crepe. My Dad is French, and he says they taste like those at home. My Mom’s recipe is (from my Mom):

1 cup of flour
3/4 cups of milk
1/2 cup of water
2 tbs of very soft butter (slightly melted)
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon of salt
juice from 1/2 lemon
(optional) a few drops of vanilla
It makes 7 crepes.

Mix the flour and eggs well. Slowly add water and 1/2 cup of milk (not all of the milk in the recipe), then everything else. Make sure all is nice and homogeneous. Wait 1/2 hour. After 1/2 hour it is thicker, so add a little more milk (some or all of what is left from the 3/4 cup) until the dough is pouring very easily off of a ladle.

Then, make the crepes. Put butter in the crepe pan, heat up. Drop a ladle of dough, roll it all around with the pan so that it is nice and flat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then turn the crepe over, cook another minute and it’s done. This is what it looks like straight out of the pan (here with lemon and sugar), before you roll it:

My first crepe was with 0.6 oz of Nutella, total 24 carbs. My second crepe was with 1.5 packets of Splenda and lemon juice (from 1/6 lemon), total 15 carbs. My last crepe was with 5 grams of sugar and lemon juice, total 20 carbs. I dosed my normal dose for the whole batch. I prebolused 1/2 hour before lunch (59 carbs). I ended up very slightly high (120) one hour after lunch but that may have been because I had a peak right before lunch and my correction was a bit low (I combined correction and lunch bolus).

11 Likes