DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I really really need to go to bed. Starting to write weird things. O😁

1 Like

I want you to process what I write with a fresh brain, not the midnight brain. I will write it all up for you and post it in the morning(ish).

Goodnight!

1 Like

Goodnight. :heart:

1 Like

I know it’s early, @Eric… but I’m ready to pick up where we left off last night. Whenever you are. No pressure. :grin:

The number is not the important part, this is. I will give you the number next but before that I need you to read through this a few times. This is all important stuff for you to remember.

First of all, run safe. If you have bad pain - like a pain in your body - you do need to stop. But good pain - like being tired - is okay.

Get well-hydrated on Friday so you don’t need to worry about it on Saturday. Get to bed early on Friday night!

Logistics before you start:
Eat smart on Saturday morning so your BG is easy. Test frequently in the hours leading up before you start so you know what your BG is doing.

Test frequently, then do a very short warmup run - only 5 minutes at a 10:00 pace, then stop. Take a few small sips of water, test your BG, walk around, rest a bit. Get your music setup, adjust whatever you need. Test again, and again. As long as your BG is not plummeting, you will not need any sugar for this run. If your BG is flat before you start, you can expect a 50 point spike from the run, so don’t worry about eating anything.

When you are ready, then you get to run.

For the run…

This is not a physical workout. It is a mental one. Your body knows it can do this. We need your brain to know it to.

Tune your brain to only tell you what you need to hear. Tell it to shut-up if it says the wrong things. These are the thoughts you need in your brain during this run. If you hear your brain giving you doubts about what you are capable of, tell it to shut-up.

Divide the run into 4 half-mile increments. Do not look beyond the half you are doing. During each half-mile, this is what I want you to think about and focus on. Nothing else!

First half-mile:
Focus on your mechanics - high cadence, running tall but relaxed, relax your hands and fingers, no tension anywhere in your body. Listen to the music and find your rhythm during the first half-mile. And know that you are not running this pace because you have to, you are running this pace because you are capable of running this pace! Your body already knows it can do this. Trust your body, not your mind. Think about only those things.

Second half-mile:
This is the hardest half-mile. If it was easy, everyone would do it and we wouldn’t be posting anything about it. Do not think about any of the other halves, just this one. You only have one thing to do on this one - keep the dream alive here. Without this one, the others don’t happen. Only focus on finishing this half. There is nothing else beyond this half. This half-mile consists of only one half-mile, nothing more. Do not think beyond this one. This half-mile is only a single half-mile.

Third half-mile:
As soon as you take the first step here, you are over halfway finished. This half is where your confidence grows. You are not getting weaker, each step is building your strength as you realize you are getting closer. This half will be all about your confidence taking over, and knowing that you will be able to make it. This half is all about building the trust that your body is able to do this. This half is about your growing assurance and determination. Feed off those feelings.

Fourth half-mile:
Many people will think that this half-mile will be the hardest, but it won’t be. This half will be the easiest because it will be a celebration. When you get here you will know you have made it. You definitely won’t quit here, so this half will assure your success. This is your victory lap. Each step you take lets you know that you will do this. In this half you will no longer have any doubt. You will enjoy this half, it will feel wonderful because you will know you have made it. Enjoy this half-mile, celebrate your victory. This half will be where your brain stops telling you how tired you are, and starts telling you how great you are. Relish that feeling!

When you finish, immediately take your pulse for 15 seconds. Walk a good bit. Enjoy the feelings you will have. Take the tired eyes out, and put the happy eyes in. Check your BG, and see the 50 point spike.

Dose, eat what you want, and worry about fixing it later. Celebrate! You have earned it.

2 Likes

I’ve read through it 3 times…

And already understand it because it’s just the way the tougher runs go…

1 Like

Focus on your 4 halves. Think those things on each half.

Here is your target pace:

7:13 pace (8.3 mph)

I knew you were going to do that. :grin:

No, I did not do anything.

But the important thing is what you are going to do.

1 Like

I know that. :grin:

Honestly, I ruled out 7:13 because I just did it with 1/4 mile recoveries, and it was not hard, but I couldn’t comfortably say I could put them all together and …

I’m not sad. It’s going to be a real challenge, but I think I’m going to be okay. Maybe. :grin:

1 Like

You see why I gave it to you today? So you wouldn’t spend 5 days thinking about it.
:grinning:

Of course it will be okay. I only gave it to you because I knew you could do it.

When it gets hard, remind yourself that there has not been a single workout I have given you that you were not able to complete. You have hit them 100%.

1 Like

Going for my run but am bookmarking this to come back to as soon as I’m done. Or sometime tonight. I appreciate your confidence. All that frickin confidence. I didn’t know I could do any of these things, Eric. None. So I’ve acted on your confidence because you seemed like a relatively bright guy. :grin:

That almost got sappy. Gotta go run.

2 Likes

Thank you!
:blush:

Don’t make it late. Get some sleep tonight.

I need to ask the admins to cut you off from FUD tonight after 10pm.

1 Like

Like a curfew?? :rofl::rofl::rofl: I’ve been sidestepping those for 3 decades. :grin:

2 Likes

Did it. Nailed it. Singing about it. :smiley:

I know this was as much a test for my BG and mental … ability… as it was where I am physically, and it wasn’t all perfect, but it was damn close. :smiley:

BG:
Had my alarm set this morning for 7. My mom comes around, hearing ALL of the alarms, and turns them all off. I do love her. :smiley: Anyway, by the time I get up at 8:15, my BG is great at a 65 or so, but I’ve been suspended for over an hour. I thought about postponing the run until I could get more control over the suspends, but this is diabetes, and I’m learning how to work with what I’ve got. So it wasn’t perfect, but I’m happy with how it went… I did have a cup and a half of coffee at 8:15 with about .75 units of insulin. I knew it was not going to be enough, but I figured I could always add a little insulin at any time if I really needed. I’d prefer not to have insulin on board, but it’s not a showstopper if I do, and now I understand that running at a high BG is more of a nuisance than applying bandaids. My BG was up to a 165 shortly thereafter, so I just got up and put on some music and did some chores. Then my BG began to drop, so I let it head in that direction and headed over for the treadmill at a 136. I did my warm up and tested again, and I was at a 138. Not perfect (third time I’ve said it), but it was good enough to go.

The run:

1/2 mile warm up @ 10:00/mile and then I stopped and had a little water and tested. Started at a 138 and just ran 1.75 miles at 8.3. I was working hard, but I was okay, so I turned it up to 8.4 going into the last quarter miles and figured I’d turn it right back down if it didn’t feel right. But it felt right, so that’s how I finished.

The mental stuff: I was on it. The way you broke it down is how I approach the tough stuff in life. It was so interesting to see your breakdown because I realized I’m not crazy for feeling like the early part of the run is harder than the end. It’s that feeling that there’s so much ahead of you, but you’re already tired. It’s gone in a minute, but that thought is a tough one. So I knew it was coming, I knew it would make for a tough couple of laps (and it did), but I also knew it would get easier. And it did. I was still working hard, but I was happy in the third half, and I was on top of the world by the fourth.

I finished at a BG of 141. I have no idea what that means about the spike although I have a feeling I may have dropped in the early part of the run. I’m not sure I was a stable 138, and I do know that was part of the goal. However, I didn’t have to cancel the run, I didn’t have to postpone it, I didn’t have to do insulin, and I didn’t have to do carbs. That’s a victory for me. And until I can stop my mom from being sweet and wanting me to get enough sleep, I just have to learn how to work with what’s in front of me.

My HR was about a 184. It may have been higher. It was not easy for me to get that measure. I felt like it was high, but, again, that is completely normal for me. I used to do my workouts at 200-210 most days.

Also, I jogged another mile and a half at the end. I know it wasn’t part of the workout, and I know I’m not supposed to do that, but I did, and I’m being honest. Then I walked. Then I danced. :smiley:

5 Likes

:100:

:a: :heavy_plus_sign:

:star: :star: :star:

Just like we drew it up!

Great job today! Wonderful to hear about this.
:grinning:

4 Likes

Just like we drew it up. :heart:

3 Likes

Nicky, this is really great! I was looking forward to what I would read this morning about your run and I am so thrilled! Congrats!!! My son is very pleased :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Michel. :blush:

1 Like

Nicky, do you feel your BG behavior was any different between practice and the real run? Because of adrenalin or any other reason?

1 Like