DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

@Michel, I have been looking for that cortisol spike that Eric tells me of, and I have no reason to doubt it’s coming, but I just don’t know if I’ve seen it yet. If I have, it hasn’t been clear. I have a few ideas why maybe it hasn’t been apparent yet though. The first is that I’m still really trying to get going with a very stable blood sugar, and I really haven’t mastered that part. As long as I’m rising and falling, it would be very difficult to know why, or what my BG would’ve looked like starting from a flat line. Don’t know if that makes sense. My other thought is that I’ve had a very high heart rate with exercise since I can remember and only a couple of years ago still frequented the 200-215 range. Even though I know I’m working hard with these runs, maybe I haven’t reached that zone yet…

You asked a question to which I do not know the answer, but it’s stuff I’ve been thinking about. That’ll teach you to ask questions. :grin:

2 Likes

Speaking of @Eric… I just realized I’ve got no runs for this week… Are you there, Eric? :grin:

Yes, I’ll post it for you. Before it’s running time.

1 Like

It would be much appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And it’s running time in about 10 hours… maybe 8 if I go to bed early. :thinking:

Is that a new thing?

Here is week 10…

Week 10:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, 1/28
Recovery Run

30 minutes @ 9:00-10:00 pace

Tuesday, 1/29
Incline Work

1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

4 Repeats:

• 5 minutes @ 8:34 pace (7.0 mph) @ 5 degrees incline
  • 5 minutes @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph) (recovery, flat)

Total today ~ 4.8 miles

Wednesday, 1/30
Rest day, stretch and core only

Thursday, 1/31
Speed pace intervals

1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

4 Repeats:

• 3 minutes @ 8:00 pace (7.5 mph)
  • 3 minutes @ 7:30 pace (8.0 mph)
  • 3 minutes @ 7:13 pace (8.3 mph)
  • recovery, 3 minutes @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)

Total today ~ 6.46 miles

Friday, 2/1
25 minute Recovery Run
10:00 pace

Saturday, 2/2
60 minute Progressive Pace Long Run

• 20 minutes @ 9:13 pace (6.5 mph)
  • 20 minutes @ 8:34 pace (7.0 mph)
  • 20 minutes @ 8:13 pace (7.3 mph)

(total ~ 6.9 miles)

Sunday, 2/3
Rest day, stretch and core only

1 Like

I was a little messy with my BG today, but I was in casual mode again— which is not my best mode. I had pancakes for lunch and accidentally
used the regular syrup rather than mine, so I had to add a bunch of insulin. I was going to have to do insulin anyway for the pancakes, but that sugary stuff… :woman_facepalming: Anyway when I headed out the door, my BG was a 131 but by the time I was to the Main Street (1/2 mile), I was a 98. I had my first 23 grams and started my run. I wore my meter bracelet today for the first time outside, and that was a lot of fun. I brought along a couple of the lancets and left my lancing device at home, and that was fun, too. That was kind of a lot of work getting stuff out and aiming and not dropping things, and it wasn’t easy. But I was already getting a little routine down by the time I was done. Anyway I went from 98 to 77 in the first mile, so I had another 23g. I was a 77 a mile later, so I did nothing, but when I was at 54 a mile later, I had another 23. I KNOW that was a lot of carbs, but I was fairly confident I needed them. I started off the run with that fast drop from 131 to 98 and then to 77 and then fell again to 54. I had had a lot of IOB to start with and no ZB. Anyway, casual mode. That’s what happens.

I ended up doing about 4 miles and was in the mood to make it a long run. Everything went well, all was quiet, and my RPE was probably 4.

And I saw a whole bunch of empty GU packets along the trail… which I assumed meant I wasn’t the first of our kind to pass through today… unless normal people use GU??? There were
a lot of empty ketchup packets with them. :thinking:

3 Likes

Try a SPIbelt for your lancing device. That would probably be easier, a little more to hold on to than a lancet. I carry an individual lancet also, but I have it attached with a string so I don’t drop it. I am also working on another way. I will share that after I get it working.

It’s good to do these sometimes. It’s great to just go without any stress about it. You can do that on an easy run like today’s.

You ran 4 miles, didn’t overly worry about your BG stuff, and then acted like it was nothing. Which is something.

3 Likes

On a string?? You must employ elves at your workshop… How would you get that thing on a string??? Unless there’s glue involved??

I loved the lancet. I would like to try to stick with that if possible. A SPIbelt, however, wouldn’t be a wasted purchase. Had some difficulty there today with my Dollar Store TRYbelt. :grin: Like near wardrobe malfunction… I’ll put it on my ever-growing list of things I feel bad I haven’t done yet. I’m sticking a meter to my treadmill, by the way. That’s next week’s project.

Exactly how it felt. :heart:

2 Likes

Do you have any extra cases for your meters? If so, remove the plastic meter holder from a case with a stitch remover, and attach it to a piece of magnetic tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-N-Cut-Flexible-Magnetic-Tape-Refill/dp/B005HYDC68/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548721355&sr=8-7&keywords=magnetic+tape+roll

There are a few metal places on your treadmill to which you can attach it.

That’s just one way to do it. There are a bunch of ways.

2 Likes

I do.

Yes, I was admiring your handiwork today. I’m not sure that’s how mine’s ending up. :grin:

Okay, but this is a lot better than my plan which was … to glue magnets to everything and put test strips in a little floss container. I didn’t really have a plan yet. :grin:

No, I am the only one in the shop. But I am part elf.

I can send you another strip holder if you would like. That would be better.

Possibly the best thing would be to let you spill strips for a few weeks, and then send you the strip holder. That way the magic of the strip holder will really become apparent.

3 Likes

And are you for hire? Because I could use a good elf. :grin:

I wanted to ask you what exactly that was — and what you did to it. That’s precision, and I highly doubt you bought it that way.

Okay, that’s just funny. :wink:

Bought it? :roll_eyes:

I made it.

I was just kidding about you spilling them. I can make you another one and send it to you.

2 Likes

I knew this. Trust me. :grin: Those slits are perfectly uniform. Unless you had some kind of machine… How??

@Nickyghaleb wow, those are great numbers, and you had pancakes with syrup beforehand :):star_struck:

2 Likes

5 pancakes. It was a lot of insulin. :grin:

I’ll just have you know that you’ve changed my running thoughts forever. My markers are now percentages of your runs… so instead of thinking 2 miles I just think 13%. And then I’m sad. :grin:

3 Likes

Yum, 5 pancakes, something I’m afraid to touch!

Oh, no, I know your joking but I’m only just trying to apply what you’ve already gone through! I know YDMV but it’s still nice to see what is possible! For sure, I would bet be able to eat pancakes then get numbers like yours!

3 Likes

And now you’re just rubbing it in. :grin:

The pancakes are new. Never would I have messed with them on a regular old Monday unless I had plans to just sabotage the day. We don’t all aspire to have pancakes, and that’s probably a very good thing, but boy have I enjoyed learning how to get them if the mood should strike.

Putting in work around here. This is serious business. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s me! Sometimes (as in pancakes :pancakes: !) it is worth it for a day! Yep, then afterwards back to serious business! :ferris_wheel:

2 Likes