Trying to eliminate running BG LOWs and post run BG HIGHs

Yes, I’ve read all of the wiki posts on fueling. It is a bit difficult for me to apply to myself though, as I don’t feel like eating after a run. I am trying though.

I try to run 6 days a week unless traveling/work or inclement weather really prevents me! Yes, they are generally the same types of runs. Most runs are 1.5+ hours on trails/carriage roads and my pace is usually the same. I know from following @Nickyghaleb’s Running thread and your coaching that I should be varying my pace and distance (right?), and that I should be eating carbs immediately after my run!:frowning:

Here is today’s run, much like yesterday’s run:

And the numbers…

• 1/2 HR pre run-start: BG 105, Temp Basal reduced by 80% for 2.5 HRs (ie. 0.5U/hr down to 0.1U/hr)
  • 1 HR pre run-end: Resume normal Basal (0.5U/hr)
  • Run-start: 11:30 AM, BG 108 (finger), Temp Basal reduced by 80% (ie. 0.5U/hr down to 0.1U/hr), IOB 0U
  • Mid-run: 1:12 PM, BG 52 (Dex), Carbs 4g (Kirkland fruit jelly)
  • Run-end: 2:30 PM (with 3-4 stops, so @2.5+ hour run), BG 72 (Dex), Bolus 1U immediately upon end
  • Post-run: 3:00 PM eat 1/4 potato (about 10g carb??), broccoli, chunk of parmigiano cheese
  • Post Run: 3:40 PM BG 68 (fingerstick)

So, immediately bolusing post-run made a HUGE difference (thanks @daisymae and @Eric!) . No spike at all. 2 hours post-run and I’m going up a bit, BG 81, but that may be from the food at 3 PM.

From the graph, you can see that I did go low mid run but no lower than 52, which for me is acceptable (60 and above is my goal!). I had 2 Kirkland fruit jellies which seemed to do the trick this time:)

Last night I was low most of the night so I want to try to prevent that. I will enable my xDrip+ alarms and treat w/ food more aggressively if needed.

3 Likes