Dexcom transmitter recycling / reuse?

I have a stack of used G6 Dexcom transmitters that I’ve been setting aside after each goes “dead” and am wondering what everyone here does with theirs? Thanks! Jessica

2 Likes

I don’t know but great question!

1 Like

If they are some of the first ones out, then they can get the batteries replaced, date reset, and be used again.

3 Likes

Do you know where to send them?

1 Like

There are sellers on Amzn that may buy them from you, but only if the transmitter ID starts with 80, and some 81.

I think @Richard157 may know someone that that does battery replacement.

1 Like

@MM2 is correct. There is a Facebook group that will replace the batteries in G6 transmitters, but only for those that start with an 80. There are probably other groups not on Facebook that will do that.

2 Likes

The previous posters all seem to assume you are looking for a way to reuse your expired G6 transmitters. Is that the question you are asking?

In my case I plan to route my expired transmitters to the local county recycling center. Whether they should go in the dead battery or the dead electronics pile is a question I have no answer to yet. I guess I’m leaning towards dead battery, but I really don’t know how to answer that question.

I hate throwing my medical waste into the trash. I realize its what almost everyone probably does, but that doesn’t make it a sensible approach in my opinion. :disappointed:

2 Likes

I restarted one of my G6 transmitters with xDrip+, then removed the battery and attached a separate coin cell holder. If I get a transmitter failure during the second part of the six month replacement period when you don’t have a replacement spare I will pop a cell into the holder and hope it works. Otherwise, insurance pays for my transmitters and I have no incentive to restart them or replace the battery.

Transmitter problems will go away with the G7, since it will have a disposable transmitter attached to each sensor, and you will almost always have a replacement if it fails.

1 Like

Thanks all. I have a towering stack of these guys and did identify a group that can use some of them so will send them away. The others I will take to my local recycling center and figure out what to do with lithium battery / medical waste. Doing my best to minimize waste, ugh. Thanks again - Jessica

1 Like

Hi Jessica,

If you still have some of these used transmitters, I’d love to take some off your hands. :slight_smile:

1 Like