Dexcom Tech Wait time 635 Minutes! What?

Customer support is pathetic. I’m often in a panic and want to talk to a person. I’m very familiar with the support form that’s online. Pathetic from a company making GZillions!

3 Likes

Yeah, I put in a failed sensor request on May 7th and have yet to hear back. It is a real shame that their customer service is (reliably) not great…

2 Likes

Finally got the notification this morning that my replacement was approved! :sweat_smile: It’s like they knew I was talking about them.

2 Likes

I am about to ask my doctor to switch me to Libre 3. Day 5 today and constantly switching in and out of ‘brief sensor issue’. So frustrating. It is calibrated correctly and the numbers when they appear match my blood test, Yesterday, whilst out with my sons for a late Mother’s Day lunch, after taking insulin my blood sugar rose to 360! I never go over 200. When i checked once home it was still reading 360 and a blood check showed it to be 120. Stress, stress, stress. My last two sensors only lasted 8 days before going completely on the blink

3 Likes

Wow, that is really bad! I’m so sorry. How stressful to be sure. Dexcom should teplace this sensor asap!

3 Likes

This is what happened to me too! I’d see an insane spike on the CGM only to test and see my actual BG was half that. Then the “brief sensor issue” continued off and on for 12 hours before it finally failed. I’m sorry you are struggling with these issues too!

3 Likes

@ LADALady Are you on the G6? I used to have more issue with the 6 then the 7 but lately there seems to be a lot more issue. It makes me wonder if they are rushing to produce or having them made in India or somewhere else. Seems like they get bad runs & there is a serious lack of quality control.

@RachelMaraii I see from your profile you are on the G7 wondering if your sensors are consistently bad I.E. bad by the box, random or what? Just trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason…

1 Like

no I was newly diagnosed at 75 after Covid last year. I have been on the G7 ever since, At first things went pretty smoothly but the last few months have been stress hell. I never make it to 10 days. I have asked for so many replacements I am concerned they may ban me. But then, that possibly could be a good thing, A friend was just switched from a Libre 3 which she said was seamless. She is not happy with the G7

2 Likes

yes this same sensor I referred to gave me ‘brief sensor issues’ for the entire day yesterday. Last time I had this problem the “tech” told me “your sensor is having trouble determining your BG”! What! Duh! The solution she said was to calibrate 3 times every 15 minutes. That would be fine but one can only do that when there is an ACTUAL reading. Not possible with a persistent "sensor issues’

2 Likes

yes this same sensor I referred to gave me ‘brief sensor issues’ for the entire day yesterday. Last time I had this problem the “tech” told me “your sensor is having trouble determining your BG”! What! Duh! The solution she said was to calibrate 3 times every 15 minutes. That would be fine but one can only do that when there is an ACTUAL reading. Not possible with a persistent "sensor issues’

1 Like

Yeah, I’m on the G7. It seems somewhat random… Though I do notice that if I’m having an allergic reaction it’s more likely to have “brief sensor issues.” I think because of inflammation messing with interstitial fluid? (Seems like this research agrees: “Additionally, inflammation in tissue adjacent to a CGM device can potentially delay and reduce the diffusion of glucose to the sensor and hence its ability to accurately read glucose level in the interstitial fluid” – Continuous glucose monitoring for diabetes: potential pitfalls for the general physician | RCP Journals .)

If I’m going to have trouble I typically see the signs (jumpy readings, missing readings, etc.) by about day 7. And almost always by day 10 (whether having an allergic reaction or not) it’s only 70% accurate and starts getting jumpy. But on my current sensor I’m on day 10 in my 12-hour grace period and it’s still working just fine! :woman_shrugging:

This may or may not be the right thing to suggest but if you make the switch make sure you time it so if you need/want to come back to the G7 you have a full box waiting with a new prescription for a new box coming then you will have double the supplies. :grin: can you say stockpile hehehe I bet you can :joy: This suggestion is only if there is no large co-pay involved.

@RachelMaraii

Clinical Medicine Journal was an interesting read. Makes you understand the importance of doing a finger stick. After 62 years of being T1D I thank God I can still feel the lows coming on but try to do the test to make sure of where I am. Dexcom you know :grin:

There are just so many facets as your allergic reaction & inflammation causing mis-readings sometimes I don’t know how any of us stay on top of it.

So… conclusion there is no rhyme or reason. I had not really thought about it but now I will try & take it every time I can to use the grace period. It’s all about supplies on hand. Stockpile Baby Stockpile :joy:

Edit for speak of the Devil

3 Likes

Dexcom Live Chat (available in the US only and different from the online Web form) has always provided confirmation of a replacement sensor before the chat session ends).
https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

4 Likes

I think you guys are totally missing the point!

No fingersticks, see?!?!

If you don’t do the fingersticks, you don’t know how far off it is. Get with the program!

:joy:

Just kidding. I feel your pain!

5 Likes

@Eric

:rofl:

Dexcom in that propaganda forgot to tout their 80% accuracy :roll_eyes:

Like I want to have an 80% accurate CGM telling a new Beta Bionics pump what to do. Well just look at the math:

Dexcom + Beta Bionics = EMT’s

:laughing:

3 Likes

Hi Milz. Do you mean in your case? That did not happen last time I called.

thank you for the thoughtful answer Sobel. I had thought that horrible allergy to the adhesive in both the monitor and the Dexcom overpatch may have been making my readings off and the sensor unreliable but then I eventually lucked out and I now have an underpatch and a different company’s overpatch and voila. No more miserable inflammation.

Because I am 76 and on Medicare, I don’t have a high co-pay and I do stockpile my monitors.

I am totally unaware of lows and highs so mostly only fingerprick when I get alerts. I have at last learned to set my low alert number to 80 up from 70. This has helped with the panic I get with the lows.

3 Likes

You might try Libre. For me Dexcom has mostly been very reliable, but have heard other people with your experience. Makes me wonder if it isn’t a body chemistry type of issue.

Fortunately we now have choices…YAY.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you got your inflammation figured out. Keep up the good work.

I also am on Medicare, co-pay for Dexcom is $0. I get mine from U.S. Medical. They have a Pharmacy & Durable Medical Equipment side. Because they are able to code the Sensors as DME I get a $0 co-pay. They still are a pain in the back side. I have tried many times to get the Pharmacy side to put my Omnipod Dash pods on permanent hold. I still get robo-calls, I still push 3, asking for a call from a rep & have never gotten one. This is of course after me contacting them asking a live person to please put them on hold. Guess this pain is still better than paying the $300-400 for a 90 day supply that everywhere else wants.

This is an online live “Chat” where no phone call/ conversation is required. It’s all handled via typed interactions real time.

2 Likes