Dexcom packaging design flaw

My G6 sensor expired earlier tonight so I went to open my last box of sensors… and it turned out to be the receiver box which LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME as a box of sensors :sob:

So now I’m trying the microwave restart trick while I wait for new supplies to arrive in the mail sometime.

Here’s a tip for all you designers out there: no need to make all your things look exactly the same! My t-slim supplies come in different-shaped boxes and the pump box is way bigger and a totally different color — no confusion there.

On the positive side, I can tell my kid about this experience and she can learn what a faraday cage is :grinning:

3 Likes

You mean the left box surface? That’s the only one which is similar in the case of my receiver; it is actually a different size but unlike the other surfaces it does have G6 logos but does not have an “icon” (AppleTalk) of either a sensor or a receiver.

Clearly their stock control relies on having the boxes all stacked the same way. They didn’t design the boxes for us.

Diabetic Squirrel Rule: always obtain more nuts at the first available opportunity. You can never have too many nuts.

John Bowler

4 Likes

this is actually a common logistics practice and saves the mfr additional costs by needing fewer different sized packing products. Plus as @jbowler stated it saves room in a pick slot.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense.

But they could have made them different colors. If I saw a sensor-sized black box in my diabetes drawer, I wouldn’t have assumed it was a box of sensors.

Of course, I really should have been more careful and I should have tried harder to squirrel things away, but still it would be helpful to make them easier to distinguish.

2 Likes

Capitalism breeds innovation, no?

1 Like

Yep, I blame the marketing department; they almost certainly demanded that all the boxes look the same to help with the brand image. So while the sensor box could have had a sensor sprite on the end and the receiver box a receiver sprite they both ended up with the G6 brand sprite; a drop of vulcan blood with a big hole in it.

I checked, the only distinguishing marking is on the right side and is clearly a black blob intended to assist with alignment of the boxes on the assembly line. Assembly lines need alignment markers and the stock control label isn’t on the box at the start of the line.

John Bowler

1 Like

To be fair, I think the fuel efficiency standards have played a key role in making them all look similar. But it is uncanny how they all have the same shape.

2 Likes

Not THAT similiar. That’s lack of innovation plain and simple. If you took the emblems off of each of them, the layman wouldn’t be able to tell one company from the next.

1 Like

That picture is just awesome!

Yes… Just like the how the music the kids are listening to these days all sounds the same :laughing:

Now why can’t I get a car like this for < $20k???

3 Likes

All of the “innovation” at the high-dollar level. Go figure. :wink:

1 Like

Uh-oh - I just went philosophical for a minute there and then my brain started hurting…

Mass producing an item that does not offend the most people is how design is done these days.

The problem that everyone has different likes and dislikes and if you pander to these it makes your products more expensive so people will choose the cheap crap and boring product that will break in a year because it is cheaper than the slightly more expensive high quality product that will last a lifetime.

I use my grandfather’s woodworking chisels and other tools from the 1940’s and 50’s still. I cannot find anything of that quality in stores today except on rare occasions for astronomical prices. How did it used to be that the common man could buy quality equipment that would last a lifetime (and hey - like 3 lifetimes to get technical with the tools I am using) if well cared for (and my grandfather was not know to care for his tools overly well). ARGH!

I think I need another cup of coffee…

5 Likes

It’s very difficult with the G6, indeed for me if I followed the rules I would be unable to obtain a full year supply through my US insurance. That’s because EdgePark insist that a box of Dexcom sensors is actually a “one month” supply and Dexcom have made their own receiver terminate the sensor after exactly 10 days, so the 12 boxes I get from EdgePark in a year runs five or six days short. That’s a powerful argument for using xDrip+ given that the microwave trick needs practice and patience.

John Bowler

1 Like