Dexcom sensor applicator problem

I tried to put in my new Dexcom sensor today and the applicator wouldn’t come off. I had heard about this happening before, but of course I can’t find where it was now (I think it was Reddit). Apparently this is a known issue, because when I called they flat out said it was! So, I’m slightly panicking because I’m going out of the country for a week in 9 days. I think I have enough test strips at home, and I have a few boxes of sensors, but what if it happens with those when I’m on my trip?! Ugh. Life with diabetes.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue - if so, just one sensor in the box? All of them?!

Edit: here is one of the Reddit threads.

1 Like

Had exactly this issue a few weeks ago. Was my first defective sensor after ~9 months using G6. All other sensors worked 10+ days. Have claimed this issue and received a replacement after 1 week. So far this was a single event for me, next sensor worked fine.

Are you traveling someplace where you will be able to easily source strips and a meter if needed?

I think so - we will be in southern Spain, in a very populated, touristy area. I should do some Googling, I guess! It’s only a weeklong trip. For now I have a small stockpile at home but will have to check when I’m done at work today.

1 Like

Good to know it was just a one-off. People are collecting info on Reddit since it sounds like this has been happening for others too!

Hi Allison,
I completely understand your issue. I have gone through 6-7 sensors that would not dislodge. Two of them occurred while I was on the phone with tech support because another sensor was not reading correctly. This happens randomly so take up to 3 sensors with you or your other alternative is to bring a meter and test strips with you just in case. If you ever have problems with tech support, ask for a senior tech supervisor.

Dexcom has moved manufacturing and Customer Care to Mexico and tech support to the Philippines where they read of a screen and you cannot understand them. Great move Dexcom all to make money.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts. 6-7 sensors is completely unacceptable. I was planning on taking 3 :slight_smile:

Its only been in the last couple of years that Dexcom actually made money. The previous decade + they burned through cash developing the technology and building the business.

At some point they had to turn it into a viable business.

Absolutely - my husband is kicking himself that he didn’t buy stock when he was looking at it a few years ago!

2 Likes

@allison - I have not yet had this problem (knock wood), but have read about the “solution” of whacking the applicator with a wooden spoon to get the sensor to dislodge…! Sorry this was an issue for you. Did you wind up having to pull the whole sensor? I would be freaking out. Ugh. Jessica

I was at my desk at work so I didn’t have a wooden spoon available :rofl: but I tried tapping it pretty hard with my fingers. I was on the phone with Dexcom and they told me to take it out so I did. First time it had happened… it wasn’t painful at all.

2 Likes

You’re a damn hero for doing a sensor change at WORK?!?! I need like an entire open room, full length mirror, and complete privacy to do one! :laughing:

1 Like

At one office I have a room to myself; the other office is in a bullpen. Either way, I just put everything in my stomach so it’s easy to do discreetly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah same here. When I started Dexcom SEVEN I knew this was a game changer. Why i didn’t act on that, I have no clue.:disappointed_relieved:

This has now happened to me three times (with three different lot numbers), most recently today. The wooden spoon didn’t work, although it helped me get out some of my anger at recent Dexcom quality control issues. :grin:

I tried calling Dexcom while the applicator was still hanging from my abdomen to see if they could help but all I got was a silent phone line and then a survey about whether my issue was resolved. :pouting_cat:

Has anyone found another way to resolve this or is the applicator just a goner when this happens?

1 Like

I have had this happen to me once or twice. People say there is a way to fix it by poking part of the orange tab into the applicator but this does NOT work (I haven’t tried it though). I’ve just called Dexcom for a replacement both times. It’s a pain!

1 Like

We just had this happen for the first time. It was very inconvenient. The only good thing is Dexcom sent us a return packet so at least they will be analyzing why this is happening.

1 Like

My goodness. this sounds miserable. and what seems to be even worse is the quality of Dexcoms new customer service department. they use to be excellent (back when I was on their system)

I currently use the Free Style Libre 2. I’ve experienced some bad sensors, but never had an applicator problem (even though the Libre applicator is very similar to the G6). But, so far, whenever I have had a sensor issue and called their tech support, they are remarkably kind and responsive. They take me through a few simple questions and then replace the sensor in 2-3 business days.

so sorry for all of your problems! how frustrating . But enjoy your trip abroad. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

For me the G6 is a lot less painful to insert than the previous versions, but the applicator is really a large piece of plastic! Why so large? I’ve not yet have an applicator get stuck (knock on wood), but I’ve had several sensors cause bleeding and had to be removed immediately after warmup due to failure to get readings. Also, I’ve learned that I should not press down on the applicator while inserting because that often results in bleeding.

Just in case the applicator does get stuck, what is the process of removing it? Just pulling it off? And then using a new sensor? @Chris, is that what you did?

1 Like

Someone on tud posted they had several from lot# 7272847.

1 Like