Dexcom g6 multiple failures rant

This could also be a sign your dexcom was accurate, and libre was off. Did you do occasional bg meter checks to confirm?

2 Likes

Thanks,
Until this bad batch I have found dexcom to be very accurate, A1c matching up with dexcom/clarity, so I am going on the premise that this was just a bad batch an the one I am using now does seem to be comparing accurately with glucomiter today but.if it doesnt keep working I will definitely ask the dr to give libre a try

2 Likes

back of arm is my preferred spot too, when I was having all this trouble with them not working I was using the abdomen…wonder if that was the problem?

2 Likes

Chris,

I started out using my stomach (both sides of my navel — higher AND lower). I never tried the backs of my arms since that was where my Libres were. Although I HAVE placed Libres on my legs and abdomen and thorax. The Libre sensors seemed to work wherever I placed them. Thin? Nope, that has NEVER been a problem for me!

3 Likes

Yes, I was checking with meters.

2 Likes

Certainly the Dexcom does not work for everyone, it has been mostly trouble free for us for the last 6 years, but others have had terrible problems. Perhaps the way the inserter’s work is where the secret sauce lies. Both of the sensors (Libre and Dexcom) work the same way, i.e. use enzymes to detect the glucose level in interstitial fluid. Would be interesting to see if the Dex works in your arms, just because the Libre’s are working there now. But it may be that the Libre’s work for you and the Dexcom’s don’t. Good news is the new G7’s are coming soon, so it might be worth trying when the new one comes out early next year??

3 Likes

@3cTim - I never had success with Dexcom on my stomach, but the backs of my upper arms are golden. I am currently trying to get my upper calves to work and the jury is still out. I also absolutely have to let a sensor sit w/o a transmitter in place for at least 12 hours before starting it, otherwise I will have false lows for the first 12-24 hours. Good luck!

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have to try that 12 hr w/o transmitter. I have luck with omnipod on upper thigh , might try dexcom there too, just cant do dexcom on my left upper arm because I always get compression lows from sleeping on it

2 Likes

I don’t pre-soak for a full 12 hours, but I do try to put in the next sensor 6 hours before my current sensor will finish. Or at least 4 hours. It does seem to help get past the period of time where the sensor is least accurate.

4 Likes

Don’t feel bad. It is frustrating when the equipment fails but it just drives us nuts when we try so hard to meet our goals. We are grateful for the integration of CGM to pump but it is never fail-safe. We totally wish they would do a better job of integration but it seems so elusive. I hope they and our Endos follow this site!

2 Likes

The location that will prevent compression lows on the arm is the fatty area on the back of your arm. It’s the area on your arm that hang down when you put your hand on top of your head and look in the mirror and point your elbow at your face.

The outside of the arm us going to get compression lows.

4 Likes

Tim: You may want to try slightly inside of the upper arm. I’m a side sleeper (mostly right side) and using the inside upper left arm results in mostly no compression lows. That location offer some protection from getting knocked around too on door ways, etc. Have also tried slightly inside of my left thigh with good result, no pain/discomfort and no compression lows due to sleeping position. Interestingly, I tried the equivalent position on my right thigh and got nothing but pain, aches, and finally swapped it out; may have just been the specific location (near a nerve?).

3 Likes

I’m on my 4th sensor on the back side of the upper arm. The last 3 have been outstanding. I am in day 9 without a bobble. When I used the approved places on the abdomen, they would act up starting on day 7 Sanford steadily get worse.

This is not completely conclusive as it could’ve been faulty sensors or the new location is just better.

I am a side sleeper as well and never sleep on my belly.

2 Likes

update, back to normal readings with the dexcom, it was just a bad batch I am sure…2 day average is back in my goal range (with the faulty sensors it was 50 points higher)

3 Likes

After bragging on the back of the upper arm, I ripped the sensor off taking off a tee shirt. Ah well I got 9 days without any problems.

3 Likes

have you tried the overpatches? they work great for me

3 Likes

Same for us…AND THEY’RE FREE! That’s always a big plus. We put in an order every 30 days so we have a good stock always on hand.

For anyone interested, it’s a simple online form, which can be found here.

Although…as I just tried it now, I’m getting an error “Order cannot be placed at this time. Please try again later or contact Technical Support.” So I’ll be checking back later. :smiley: However, even if online doesn’t work, a phonecall works also.

4 Likes

This is the first time I had one peel off accidentally. Never brag, that’s when you get your comeuppance.

4 Likes