Dexcom g5 vs g6

Well just when I thought something would be simple… even though it’s in my formulary apparently I ts still not covered through pharmacy

Has anyone here used USMED? That might be my next pursuit

My insurance began allowing me to use suppliers some time last year. I tried to go through USMed, but my first conversation with them left a bad impression, so I decided to go elsewhere.

I’ve used Edgepark for a few orders, and they’re better than what I had to deal with before with Dexcom. I do have to confirm and reconfirm that they’re shipping everything they should be. My transmitter and sensor shipments were not aligned properly at first because they messed up my transmitter order. They did fix the situation though, and everything went well with my most recent order. I would recommend them with the recommendation to triple verify everything with each order- it might get better with time too.

I think @MM2 uses edgepark too.

I just got off phone with USMED and they seemed pretty efficient and organized at first impression to me, although first impressions can be very deceiving clearly… I’ll give them a shot unless my rx plan sponsor calls tomorrow and tells me she changed it so I can get direct from pharmacy

Hope it works out! Report back

Currently using CCSMed, so far ok, not great. Before that used Byram and was great.

1 Like

Byron treated you well? I never paid much attention to these discussions before because at first I ordered strait from dex then for a couple years my only option was solara, which was good for about 4 minutes, like a first date with a happy ending… then turned horrid after that

Once my orders were set up, the website could be used to trigger reorder/refill. It may have supported auto refill, but I preferred controlling that. They took care of contacting dr and getting rx, email delivery date, etc. Then paid on line, always listed correct amount after insurance claim determined amount. One screw up, but it was corrected quickly. Used for last 4 years, until recent change in my insurance.

1 Like

Another question re g5 vs g6

The main reason I like my phone vs the receiver for the g5 is I can mark events on the screen… bolus units, carbs, all appear as squared dots on the history screen on the phone but not on the receiver. I find that pretty helpful. Does the g6 receiver allow history event tracking on the screen like To show when I bolused etc if I enter it?

The G6 Receiver allows you to enter events, and they show up on the clarity display but not on the receiver.

Darn that’s what I was hoping for…

1 Like

Elle, I did what you said and called Dexcom to find out where I was in the line for a G6 upgrade (Medicare). They tried to send me 5 more G5s, but I said NO, I want to to be upgraded to G6. Well guess what?? In 2 days, I received my first shipment of the G6 with tutorial. I have three G5s left due to restarting them, so as soon as they are gone, I will be shifting to G6 with Basal IQ. Yippee!!!

1 Like

If anyone who has upgraded to the g6 has any unused g5 transmitters laying around they could PM me

So happy for you! I went through a lot to receive my Medicare G6. It took many phone calls and work for my endocrinologist. So worth it! Congrats! ellen

1 Like

Has anyone compared G5 to G6 at the same time?
For example, having two sensors working at the same time and G5 sensor reporting BG to G5 Receiver and G6 sensor reporting data to G6 receiver/phone and Clarity.

1 Like

Yes, our very own @Eric took that challenge on and reported the results. Here is a link:

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! This helps a lot. Reviewing Eric’s results when compared to the Next One meter, it makes sense for me to stay with the G5 sensor.
Can you recommend people that replace batteries on G5 transmitter AND make the refurbished transmitter work with the Dexcom Android App and Clarity?

1 Like

Dexcom will stop selling G4/G5 sensors end of 2020 (US).

2 Likes

Unfortunately I am not privy to anyone that replaces the batteries but have seen some members report success quite a while ago. I think the current recommendation is to check on Facebook. But I wish you luck.

Chris, Understand.
I will ask on the Forum. I need to replace batteries on the G5 transmitter and get it reset to work with the Dexcom App and Clarity.

I’m not sure, but for G5, I think just the transmitter days need to be set to zero, which can be done with xDrip.

I have also seen refurbished G5 transmitters on AMZN, but both good and bad reviews. Price may go up once Dexcom stops shipping, or may be more folks selling them, or may discount if you swap for your dead transmitter.