Decreased insulin resistance post surgery

A hypothesis, after having surgery to repurpose about 7" of my small intestine. I find myself less carb sensitive. Maybe it is the gut is still revolting after being violated or there is a slightly reduced nutrient absorption from the gut. The latter seems unlikely as the small gut is 21’ or so, 7" is not much.

Anyway I’ve been enjoying what have been forbidden foods for me for a long time. I might even try some rice!

9 Likes

The middle part of the small intestine absorbs the most nutrients, so it might depend on which part they used? :man_shrugging:

But the other thing could be that you are not as stressed as you were before the surgery, and that can also make a difference.

6 Likes

That works too, I am more relaxed. They use the last part, just before the large gut.

2 Likes

For me, even a day of fasting or eating very little makes a difference in my insulin sensitivity the next day. The same if I have a high fat meal one day, the following day I notice I need a little more insulin.

I would expect since you had surgery, eating for a few days before and after was limited?

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis Give it a shot! Get the rice! Suggestion: Try the method of cooking it, cooling it (frig, not freezer), then warming it back up. I’ve found I can cut the carb load/insulin need about in half of what’s called for, though still may need the longer period for processing…

Ref the rest, I don’t know, but would surmise like you that 7” probably isn’t that much in the grand scheme! (Edited: No, you decrepit folks, we’re talking about intestines here!)

6 Likes

Tom … does the cooking the rice (in fridge) then reheating it later mean that the carb count is absorbed slower. Maybe you posted this somewhere else … but it’s new to me and I’ve been around the block a few times. Love learning about techniques to fool the gut to allow us to enjoy a bit of rice without the guilt!

Glad that you’re feeling better @CarlosLuis and enjoying less insulin resistance!

3 Likes

This Time article mentions it.

3 Likes

@FatCatAnna I thought I learned about this either here on FUD by some others, so you may want to do a search for “resistant” to find it. The original comments were aimed at pasta, vice rice. My understanding of the science behind it is cooling after cooking converts the starches into a “resistant starch” (see https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/carbohydrates-and-diabetes/carbs-and-cooking#:~:text=An%20experiment%20on%20the%20BBC,rise%20of%20blood%20glucose%20levels) that does not act as a normal carbohydrate in the digestive system. There are several other citations about the process, just do an online search for “cool pasta” and “diabetes” or “starch”. After cooling (I don’t wait overnight, just until the pasta/rice is cold), then warm it back up for a meal I thought of trying it with rice and it seems to work for it as well.

Cautions: Results vary by the person, many reporting halving their insulin dose for the pasta, some less, a few report it does not work for them at all (perhaps its power of the mind, so go in positive!). Some report it just makes the insulin need longer term similar to a high fat/protein meal, so they still need the insulin, but a few hours later. Some report that heating the pasta beyond a certain temp can convert the starches back to normal; I think I read beyond 140F; I have not tested this.

BTW way, I had to smile on reading your post (and I’m not making fun of you, the image in my brain imade me smile!): Please don’t cook the rice in the refrigerator, moving the stove in there is difficult and dangerous! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Leave the stove where it is and just move the pasta or rice in a bowl to the fridge after cooking! (Thanks for making me smile this morning!)

4 Likes

Thanks, Carlos! This link also has some great, healthy recipes with berries!

This is interesting. This is the first I heard of this! I typically prepare a full week of meals on Sunday, and then heat each dinner up during the week. I do, in fact, usually have delayed impact similar to fat/protein meals even though meals have low fat/protein. I am wondering if this can be applied to my experience!

3 Likes

@CarlosLuis Thanks for this article! It’s interesting to read about the added fat in the cooking process; the coconut oil amount seems very low at 1 tsp for a pot of rice). As they mention they cooled the cooked rice for 12 hours, I can’t help but wonder if my “less cooling” (i.e. minutes not hours) might have improved results, i.e. give more time for starch resistance to develop, perhaps some of the longer term carb impact may not occur with longer cooling. Also, it’s interesting to note the re-heating didn’t seem to have an impact in their study…perhaps another impact of the longer cooling time? I may have to try altering my method and keeping some “stand-by” pasta/rice in the refrigerator for use in meals. (I’m very poor at planning meals in advance; much more a pull it out, cook it, eat it kind of guy!)

4 Likes

I think resistant starch is probably the same as undisolvable fiber.This is good for the large gut biome, but may cause a temporary increase in flatulence until adapted.

Green bananas have a lot of resistant starch but I’d soon eat a broom handle🤢

4 Likes

Ahhh, I’ve eschewed banana due to high sugar content. I wasn’t aware of the resistant starch as well. I’ve always liked mine on the green side, my wife likes them turning brown and thinks nothing of them being “slightly squishy!” Gotta love the “broom handle” thought, you (@CarlosLuis) and her must have similar tastes!

1 Like

The spots that form on the skin are signs of the resistant starch ripening into sugars.

Yeah I am like your wife, you are like our eldest son. Takes all kinds.:grinning:

Just popping in to represent the I DESPISE BANANAS cohort (wish I didn’t!)! (I am definitely going to try this rice trick, but am reflecting that my blood sugar results with leftover (day old, at least) Thai food are much better than the night that we have it delivered with delicious piping hot soft fresh white rice.)

5 Likes

For me, bananas have about a 3 day window. The very short time between too hard and green, and too brown and squishy.

In my lifetime, I have probably thrown out more bananas than I have eaten.

4 Likes

But when you get them in the Goldilocks zone they are SOOOOOO delicious. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m with you on that!!!

I have 7 siblings that all loved bananas. They would tease me by exhaling in my face to let me know they were eating one.

4 Likes

That is so gross! It takes all I’ve got to buy (slightly green, very firm) bananas for my family. Then they are disgraceful enough to let them go bad on the counter and leave them for me to toss gingerly into the compost. ~shuddering~

4 Likes

I read something very similar but about potatoes (on TU Diabetes written by Terry). Never heard it about rice. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

My Mom would make fruit salad, and had to remember to set aside a portion for me BEFORE adding banana as last ingredient. :grinning:

3 Likes