Cheese balls=magic

Ow, you are totally killing it right now!

But, you know, this is exactly why we started this place – we all believe we can do ANYTHING. That includes ice-cream – we just have to figure out how :slight_smile:

It was definitely one of those, “this is a gift from the insulin fairies” kind of nights. I kept expecting to see a spike; even muttered a prayer as I waited for my last check of the night. :laughing:

I love that about this forum - y’all really have helped me so much in figuring things out but also just emotionally trying to handle all of this!

5 Likes

Okay, I don’t know if popovers will actually happen at my house this weekend, but I do want to try them! I used to make them all the time when I was a kid, although I don’t know how good they were. I do remember they were somewhat magical in the transformation department, as far as baking goes. And I sort of stopped because I thought that gluten was required, but I just came across this gluten-free recipe which seems pretty manageable:

Writing about this made me realize as a kid I was way more willing to try stuff (baking, cooking, adventure, anything new) and not panic about the outcome beforehand and talk myself out of it…and that’s kinda the unlimited mindset!

3 Likes

I might be the only one left who still enjoys a nice plate of gluten.

1 Like

Ha! I enjoy gluten! But I don’t enjoy the result when I eat a bunch of it. But man, almond croissants? I miss those.

And you also enjoy a nice pint of gluten too, I think. Unless the beer remaining in your grocery store was all GF beer.

1 Like

Yeah, I am just teasing you about the gluten. I drink it and eat it, despite the trend of the gluten free diet becoming so popular. I think one day they may have gluten speak-easy pubs, and I will have to go there and sneak my gluten.

Just last weekend we went to a friends’ house for dinner. Lovely outdoor evening in a gorgeously manicured garden. Kids running wild all over. When we got there, the host offered 2 drinking options: water and beer. I chose beer and because I don’t bolus for wine, didn’t even consider bolusing for the beer. I know, totally stupid. Can count on one hand the number of times I’ve had beer and never since being diagnosed. Let’s just say the dinner portion of the meal was slightly delayed while I tried to reign in my bg. It actually took me several minutes to connect the dots.

3 Likes

I love the idea! And the joking is always welcome!

:::sniff, sniff::: is that the smell of gluten?!? It’s coming from somewhere around here! Quick, in this doorway. The magic word is puff pastry! Or is it popover today? No, wait, its sourdough pancakes! Let us in! We need gluten!

3 Likes

Sounds like @Eric’s kind of party!

2 Likes

@Irish, how did the visit go?

It totally was!

Thanks for asking! I was going to report about it, but didn’t want to seem insensitive. These appointments seem totally random to me sometimes. Big victories followed by lectures on minor infractions. Lesser victories followed by congratulations. It’s all just so weird. The visit today was great. I think in part, because at my last visit (after the horrible one) I became a little defensive and bit back pretty hard. For whatever reason, he seemed more mellow (he even said, “you seem less stressed out this visit. Last time I remember you being more anxious.” Um, okay. Probably because I was having such a hard time getting him to prescribe me metformin, but that’s another story). Also maybe he’s more accustomed to me having a sub 5 A1C. He didn’t get too upset about it. He did ask about the 33 and lecture me on lows generally, but overall I think he can see that I’m reducing lows and striving to reduce them more. Best of all, he consented to preliminary lung function tests so that he could prescribe Afrezza! So, that feels like a major win, because it means I don’t have to find a new endo office. I had scheduled with one recently, waited 2 months for it, and they canceled one month out. After that, I grew really depressed about my chances of finding a good match in my area, so this was a welcome relief! He has one other patient on Afrezza.

5 Likes

I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I’m going to give it a go, because for whatever reason I’ve found that using alternative flours in baking yields far superior bg results. I have no idea why, but I’ve tested it in a variety of ways, so I guess I’ll keep at it. The real magic of the popovers is flavored butter anyway! The one that is served near us uses lavender butter. I need to research some recipes for that!

3 Likes

@Irish, to quote Snoopy:

http://data.whicdn.com/images/81281705/original.jpg

SUPPERTIME!!! This is awesome, time for the suppertime dance!!!

Best news of the day :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See if you can do it this week-end! Join @JessicaD and me (or, more exactly, my wife), we are having a popover mashup :slight_smile:

It would be a Wide Area Popover Network! It would give a new meaning to WAPNizing…

3 Likes

@Irish that’s great news! (Endo visit not popover commitment, although flavored butter sounds amazing.) I’m glad it went well, you managed to have a visit that felt productive and sounds like it’ll lead to another experiment (Afrezza!) and hopefully continued positive results.

(That was the positive side of me. The negative side would like to point out that it annoys me to no end that any hint of anxiety will so often be thrown back in a patient’s face as an acceptable cause of practitioner disbelief/unwillingness to take the patient seriously/the cause of whatever illness is represented. /rant off)

And yes, sometimes I wonder when interacting with doctor’s offices and their staff “is this person just having a bad day, or are they always like this, or is it totally random?”

2 Likes

Ooops, I should’ve added that for us at home baking yields positive BG results with gluten free flours and baking. Going out is totally different. They sneak in a ton of sugar I think. I happened to look up the Sysco GF Pizza Crust nutrition facts and noticed they included sugar in their dough recipe. But I’m glad the recipe might work for you!! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m curious what alternative flours you usually use. I was gluten free (due to celiac disease) long before my LADA diagnosis, so I don’t have gluten flour foods to compare to, but some of the alternative flours are soooo carby. Rice flour, potato starch…

My friend (also celiac) makes pretty good popovers with coconut flour. I’d join y’all in making popovers this weekend if I had any flours in the house (I ran out…too many banana muffins with my overenthusiastic toddler baker :wink: ).

HOORAY! Would love to hear how you like it.

3 Likes

I make a layer cake using almond flour that my GF hubby enjoys. No frosting but a filling of mascarpone cheese and berries–kind of like a Victoria sponge cake. I will dig up the recipe later today to post.

1 Like

Thanks! I use almond flour almost exclusively now (I can’t really stand coconut flour texture), so I’m always on the lookout for new recipes!

1 Like

Lame lame lame! C’mon on :slight_smile: