Cheap phones?

This is marginally related to diabetes care – we need a cheapish EXTRA phone for Samson because he has to wear the one he uses for transmitting data and the school is not doing a good job catching his lows by just checking the receiver.

Do people have suggestions for a cheap, reliable phone? Needs to be able to run Dexcom, Sugarmate, and send and receive texts…

2 Likes

My two favorite brands for Android are Nokia and Motorola. Right now, the ones I would be ready to buy cost in the neighborhood of 130 +/-. Is that too expensive?

If you want SugarMate, you need an iPhone as that’s the only phone that the SugarMate app is made for at the moment.

Unless you’re just talking about accessing the SugarMate data via the browser, on an android phone?

1 Like

A friend of mine has had good luck buying used iPhones on CL for himself in the past. Not sure if that would be helpful or not, or if I would feel confident doing that myself. But he swears by it!

1 Like

Lots of ‘unlocked’ iPhones for between $65 and $150 on eBay. Maybe that method would work as well.

2 Likes

There is also Glyde & Swappa for cheap phones

Thanks! I think I’d be willing to pay $130 for a new phone; for used I’m thinking $70 is the upper limit. Not because we absolutely can’t afford more, but given how much all the gear collectively costs it just me that I have to buy a phone, solely because his school is not adequately caring for Samson using the existing protocol.

1 Like

Yah, I thought that too. :frowning: I’m sorry. Would changing the alarm settings be helpful?

they’re already set at 100 – the problem is they’re just not checking frequently.

which ones that run the Dexcom follow app are you looking at? We currently have two iphones (mine and Samson’s) but I’d be fine with the teachers having an Android phone.

:roll_eyes:

I’m sorry. That’s a bummer. I have many grumbly thoughts about that.

Before you know it, he’ll be bigger and checking or reminding those teachers to check!

This scares me more than anything else… Just being inattentive and unresponsive.

1 Like

I just ordered a samsung J3 Luna, which is on dexcoms list. Hasn’t arrived yet, but can let u know how it works out. I’m going to try it with internet only service to work with G6. Will add phone once I use up G4s and decide to switch to G6.

1 Like