Can't get G6 to work with xDrip+

There is option in xDrip to set to native, where it reports exactly same reading you would see on standard dexcom app or receiver. Did you have Native checked on?

Yes I did. The only thing I can think of is because I refused to calibrate last night. But I entered the code for the sensor when I first installed the program so I shouldnā€™t have to calibrate.

I did go back through my sensor history on my pump and wonder about some mistakes I might have made. The night of the 18th my current sensor expired. I installed xdrip and tried to start the sensor. I donā€™t think xdrip works like this. You have to restart it before it expires?

Anyway, I spent so much time reading about xdrip that I went to bed with an expired sensor. The next morning I inserted and started a new sensor with my pump. Everything seemed to work fine but in the history, I see an entry for Sensor Reuse 1 minute before Sensor start. I think I had left xdrip running with Sensor Restart and Prementive Restart (turned off preemptive restart since then) both checked when I did this.

But everything worked fine with xdrip matching my pump readings up until the time I uninstalled xdrip today. The readings just didnā€™t match my meter. Iā€™ve requested a new meter in the thoughts that maybe that is the problem.

Either way xdrip picked up the readings and matched

Hi Guys,

I see the conversation has strayed a bit deeper into the ā€œDarksideā€ of xDrip+ settings.
Personally, I have found this area a complete minefield with so many different users giving conflicting advice. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t like handing out advice on xDrip+ settings.
The only way to be certain about xDrip+ settings is to go to GitHub and speak to the guy who wrote xDrip+.

Churcr: this quote of yours resonated with me.
ā€œAnyway, I spent so much time reading about xdrip that I went to bed with an expired sensor.ā€

So, here is some advice I CAN pass on that may be of some help. My apologies if you have already read it. (that happened to me a lot on different forums. It made my head spin!)

Because there are so many settings on xDrip+, they created a special ā€œSource Wizard Buttonā€.
To use it, you have to make it ā€˜visibleā€™ on the screen.
To make it visible on the screen, you have to know where its setting is.

ON YOUR MAIN xDrip+ HOME SCREEN, THERE IS AN ICON AT THE TOP THAT LOOKS LIKE A LARGE RED DRIP OF BLOOD. PRESS AND HOLD THAT FOR ABOUT A SECOND AND A SMALL MENU WILL APPEAR.

Sorry for putting that bit in CAPS, but It helps to find it in this forum if it is in CAPS. I forgot how to turn it on several times before I finally got it locked into my addled old brain. (I think dimensia is creeping inā€¦ What was I saying?)

Oh yes, after the mini menu appears, the top setting is ā€œSource Wizard Buttonā€. Turn this on.
A new wide button appears near to the bottom of the screen called ā€œSTART SOURCE SETUP WIZARDā€. Itā€™s all pretty explanatory after that.

Everyone knows you have to be smart to get T1 diabetes. Itā€™s because our brains consume more energy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hope this helps

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. The holiday season and all. I know the wizard you are talking about because it pops up when I first install the app. Right now Iā€™m using xdrip in a passive mode only. Itā€™s set to Native Algorithm and I do all sensor changes from my tslim pump. 3 days ago I changed out my sensor. I stopped the old sensor from the pump. xdrip gave a message that the sensor was stopped. I started the new sensor with the pump and waited the 2 hour warm up period. xdrip also showed the warm up time and started getting readings after 2 hours.

The only issue Iā€™m seeing is in the system status section of xdrip. The classic status page shows that the sensor start time is 12/26/19 but it was actually 12/28/19. It may be when I installed xdrip for the 4th or 5th time.

The G5/G6 status page shows ok 3.1 days which is the correct time the sensor started but calibration code is showing the code from the previous sensor. Iā€™m assuming these issues might be related to the fact that I did not restart the OB1 collector. I simply let xdrip follow my pump.

You are absolutely right @Tigs1962 about getting so much conflicting information on the forums. I know that I want to use xdrip to restart my current sensor but I guess Iā€™ve got 5 or 6 days to research that.

Hi Churcr,

You said: ā€œRight now Iā€™m using xdrip in a passive mode only. Itā€™s set to Native Algorithmā€

I am not sure what that means. Can you explain?

It just means that Iā€™m using it to monitor only in Native Algorithm. I have not tried to restart the collector, entered any types of calibration, or have sensor restart or preemptive restart turned checked in the settings. My last sensor was either ruined by xdrip or (as now seems the case) was bad to begin with.

I was getting really strange readings and calibration errors from my pump and xdrip. I called Dexcom and they said it was bad and replaced it. But it was coincidental that this happened after I experimented with xdrip. I started the sensor from xdrip after it was already 3 days old and calibrated from xdrip.

As I said, it is probable that the sensor was bad to begin with but Iā€™m a little gun shy right now.

I just cannot get my xDrip+ to work with my Dexcom G6. I have a Samsung S9+ and I am about to give up. I just want a little extra life out of my sensors and transmitters. Sheesh. I have done everything suggested and still nothing.

I donā€™t think you need xDrip to extend the sensor life. The instructions I saw when I was looking at this first seemed to be intended for the Dexcom receiver; the trick is to fool the transmitter into thinking it has a new sensor. Apparently Dexcom removed one of the ways of doing that (a simple restart) but the others remain. I also donā€™t think xDrip helps to extend the transmitter life, at least Iā€™ve never been able to do it. So far as I can see you have to do preventative maintenance on it to get it working beyond whatever the limit is.

XDrip can keep reading transmitter after it passes the 112 day (plus extra days), but I think only in non-native mode. The number of additional days depends on how long the transmitter actually has power, which can be estimated by watching the voltage A,B, resistance info under status.
Or alternatively, can do transmitter RESET, (engineering mode), and transmitter days is updated and new value can be seen by both xDrip and Dexcom receiver or app.

If your supplier for transmitters sends 2 at a time, often the 2nd one doesnā€™t get very many addl days, due to slow drain while first one is used.

I thought in Non Native mode the sensor would just keep going. Well, no. It stopped yesterday at precisely 10 days after I inserted it and started it. I cannot see any benefits of xDrip+ other than being able to scroll back on the screen and see my blood sugars. I knew this was too good to be true. Freakin Dexcom will get their money no matter what and my co-pays just tripled YAY! I have tried everything to re-start this sensor and nothing works. It fails every time.

It depends on transmitter. 8G and 8H have more checks, but some have been successfully restarting sensors with them, by removing transmitter, wait 30 min, then put transmitter back on and start as if new sensor was inserted.

The transmitter I just started on 1/2/10 is an 8J!! I shudder to think about what this means.

1 Like

Wow, first Iā€™ve heard of that !

Hi, when did you start this new Transmitter?
2nd January 2020?

I have the feeling that Dexcom monitor all the forums and adjust their design to combat the latest methods of extending their sensors.

After all, they have very good reason to, as it is costing them money.

They obviously skipped the ā€œ8iā€ designation as it was too much like ā€œ81ā€.

I hope you find a reliable way of extending your 8J transmitter. If you do, please come back here and post a message to let us know. This message thread has grown a life of its own, and lasted much longer than I imagined it would.

Good Luck