Can I leave in a G4 sensor with no transmitter for a while?

If I remove the transmitter, can I tape over the sensor and leave it in place for a week or two until a new transmitter arrives?

I just started a new sensor (G4) and then got a transmitter low battery alert. I’ve made arrangements for a replacement, but since I can usually get at least a month and a half out of a sensor, I’d rather not toss out a brand-new one. Are there any problems with doing this?

2 Likes

I think the issue with that may be that, although you are not using it, per say, the enzymes on the sensor wire (silver and platinum with polymer membranes) are continuing to break down and deteriorate. So once you ARE ready to begin using it again, it may be at the end of it’s life. The enzyme electrode will continue deteriorating over those 7 days that you’re not using it.

4 Likes

@ClaudnDaye is correct. The cumulative amount of time at body temperature is going to degrade the enzyme in the sensor. It might work, but it probably won’t, it really depends on how much enzyme is left alive at the end of that time. In the old days we did some fun work using sol-gels to stabilize the insulin and managed to get them to last for 60+ days by restricting the enzymes movement, but that was only in the lab.

2 Likes

Just leave any old dead transmitter inserted until you can replace it. It will help to keep pressure on the wire from moving in and out. If you usually get 45 days out of a sensor, the sensor will still degrade for the two weeks but you might still get a few more weeks on a new transmitter. I averaged 28 days per G4 but sensor life ranged from 4 days to 49 days

4 Likes

Unfortunately I only have the one transmitter, and the person who replaces batteries has to receive it before they ship my new one.

Thanks for all replies. The sensor will degrade over the two weeks it’s not used, but I’ll still get another two to four weeks of normal lifespan, so that’s OK.

1 Like