Expired sensor and transmitter

How long can sensors and transmitters be expired before they can’t be used anymore? A friend gave me several boxes became he’s allergic to the glue that holds them on. I’ve had them for a few months now and just noticed some are expired and some are about to expire. Please help if you can

2 Likes

@TommyGadd

While I’m no expert, I’ve started sensors beyond their expiration date and started a transmitter close to it’s expiration date so that it was officially expired at the end of the 90-110 day usage period. Didn’t have problems in either case.

I would suggest trying to use them oldest first, keep as close eye on them, but hope for the best.

Good luck,

John

6 Likes

Thanks John I appreciate the help. I’ll try one and see how it does, but I’ll continue to check blood sugar to see how close it is. Hate to throw them away

4 Likes

I restart my sensors and built a nest egg so I have used sensors well past the date of expiration. They seem to work the same at least a few months past the expiration dates.I think I’ve used ones at least 4-6 months past. They might not last as long on restarts. So I suppose some of it might be linked to how long a normal sensor lasts on you. If you are one of the people you barely get 9-10 days from one, you might have more of a problem.

The transmitters are a different story. They have a battery that does lose it’s “shelf life”.I have used them past their expiration too, but one only lasted a few weeks after and another a few months. Someone did say they got a full 90 days from a transmitter that expired. But transmitters are touchier because of the battery. You know a sensor is going bad when it starts to lose it’s signal a lot and maybe gives you some wild numbers. A transmitter will start to lose it’s signal when it goes too.

6 Likes

Nothing to add on the primary question, but a recommendation for your friend:
I have issues with adhesive myself, but there are a variety of barrier options which might help. The barrier itself is against the skin, so it all depends on what your friend does or doesn’t react to. Some barriers are essentially patches that go under the sensor, but I’ve had success with a liquid barrier that I just wipe on the skin before putting the sensor on. I use Skin Tac, which is primarily intended to aid in adhesion. But my care team recommended I try it as a barrier and it has made a big difference for me.
Anyhow, just a suggestion you might want to pass on to your friend to give a try.

1 Like