BG testing machine question

So historically it seemed like the one touch ultra mini machine was somewhat water resistant which I liked.

It seems like the Contour Next fails very quickly with the slightest hint of water.

Does anyone have a blood testing machine recommendation for one that’s a little more on the sturdy side when it comes to water contact and is accurate enough?

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t have any recommendations. Water is the big nemesis for testing. I think for the most part it’s when the strips get wet.

For the Contour, they also make individually wrapped strips, which helps somewhat.

Can you put the meter in a waterproof container and only take it out when you want to use it, and use the individually wrapped strips?

2 Likes

@Eric good answer, I should’ve thought of it as I have the sealed strips in my bike kit to make more room for food, food, food.BWWWWAAAA HAAHAA!

1 Like

thank you.

Waterproof container for the machine is easy to set up

Haven’t tried the individually wrapped strips. I’ll be curious if this helps. Not sure whether the strips or the machine have been the issue, I just remember the Onetouch Ultra Mini working better. They don’t make that machine any more but perhaps the new one is ok too, will have to test.

2 Likes

I’ve used the contour next one meter without a problem when scuba diving. Not in the water but the DAN requirements are for tests before and after diving. I use a dry bag for the meter and everything else that isn’t attached to my body when I dive. I use the standard vials for the strips.

This is with boat dives, so everything is exposed, but this is not the North Sea; the most adverse conditions I’ve boat dived in have been off the SW Oregon coast where the boat was going up and down over 10ft or so swells but it certainly wasn’t blowing from the nether regions of hell. (I did go fishing in the Irish Sea in my youth, off a boat, but that was way before I actually started testing my BG; very little CA tech would have survived that.)

I use a CGM and, if in doubt, I calibrate against the contour next one, but the CGM itself is robust in water. Recently I tested white water rafting and canyoning. I have in the past used it diving and it has survived immersion to at least 100ft although obviously that is not within the advertised limits. It’s not very accurate. Hum, let me rephrase that; it’s not accurate. Yet it gives me readings every 5 minutes and that counts for a lot more than test-strip accuracy.

Water and humans don’t mix and most of our tech is not immersible; the primary NA tech, the automobile, sucks below 5ft of water.

4 Likes