Berberine

Has anyone in the group experimenting with the supplement “Berberine”.

No. You generally don’t need supplements unless you are truly deficient in something - otherwise they just make for expensive pee (and sometimes supplement use can cause health problems).

2 Likes

According to WebMD

Diabetes. Taking berberine by mouth seems to slightly reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.

To be honest I have never heard of it before. I guess I will stick with lowing my BG with Insulin. I know how that works.

Best luck with that!

Cheers :smiley:

3 Likes

Supplements like berberine, cinnamon, etc. may or may not improve blood glucose levels in those with type 2 diabetes or type 1s with insulin resistance.

While I haven’t ever tried berberine, the supplements I have tried over the years have been mostly a waste of money.

I take a multivitamin with minerals, alpha lipoic acid for nerves and Osteo Bioflex for knees. These things work for me, but don’t affect blood glucose management.

All I can say is to try while keeping a complete diet and BG readings diary. Actually begin the diary 1 month before, during and after.

For us T2DMs the 2 mandatory keys are a carb restricted diet and regular exercise of at least 30 continuous minutes per day. This is true whether on oral/injectable drugs and/or insulin.

Every pharmaceutical type 2 drug will say something like, Can lower blood sugar along with diet and exercise."

3 Likes

No, but I’ve seen videos comparing it to Ozempic. I thought that was an extreme claim.

2 Likes