Sugars high

Settings I received from the doctor are too low, sugars always high. Type II here​:woozy_face::woozy_face:

3 Likes

Welcome to FuDiabetes, it’s a great group and a good place to learn.

Type 2 as well. I’m on Metformin, Farxiga and a Tandem insulin pump using Novolog insulin.
Now it would be helpful if you disclosed your treatment regime.

I will suggest that you eat to your meter to learn what foods are problematic and to begin regular consistent exercise.

Reducing dietary carbohydrates lowers the amount of glucose entering the bloodstream and regular exercise is the best known way to increase cellular sensitivity to insulin. These 2 things are key to good BG management with type 2.

A couple of links to Alan Shanley’s blog that are helpful:

Regardless of the type, those who do well usually “take control of their diabetes.”

3 Likes

Hi CarlosLuis, thank you. I live in Texas as well right by Abilene. It’s a small world. I have had Type II diabetes for only 22 years. I take Novolog and Lantus. I was using the Omnipod 5 with the Dexcom g6, but was realizing I was not getting enough insulin. I had 4 highs to 300+ and 3 lows of 36, 38 and 42, and this was just today. I’m taking off the pod and going back to self injecting until I can get this figured out. I will leave the Dexcom g6 on my person for the BG readings.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s best to use multi daily injections if that gives you more BG stability. The OmniPod 5 is in my opinion a bit too automated for me. I have really good time in range and HbA1c with C-IQ.

We with type 2 driven by cellular insulin resistance may not be a good fit with highly automated pumps. Insulin resistance varies too much, and no current programs can account for that variability.i

Pure type 1s, without highly variable insulin resistance, probably do well on OmniPod 5.

BTW are you on any other diabetic meds?

3 Likes

No sir, just the Novolog and Lantus that does well for me. After removing the Pod, I actually had a good night sleep after 6 days of outrageous highs and lows. Went to bed with sugars at 117, woke up to my sugars at 110 :smiley::smiley:. That was great. Feel good as well inside my body, I felt like my body was shutting down, not a good feeling at all​:face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

My rule is, “Do what works for you.”

4 Likes

Hi there @CarlosLuis - I personally am holding back on the Omnipod 5 for now. As a Canadian we use different measures of blood sugar. That shouldn’t stop me but I am using the Dexcom 7 now (very accurate after the first day). My basal readings are okay but I was told by a diabetes educator that everyone’s blood sugar (non-diabetics) goes up and down all the time, ranging from 4 (72) -10 (180).

I never realized that but it helps all diabetics to be a bit easier on themselves.

2 Likes

I’m hopeful for the future of Omnipod 5s algorithm that they will allow a little more personalization. Not sure that it will ever happen though.

If you liked not doing injections then you could always switch Omnipod 5 into manual mode and use it as an old fashioned pump. Your provider could help with those settings if it was something you were interested in.

4 Likes