Bad Cold

I have had a bad cold for over 2.5 weeks. It started with a headache and sinus pressure, mornings are and continue to be the TERRIBLE gag reflex from post nasal drip. Lots of blowing my nose, coughing up phlegm, etc. also tickley dry cough. I turn from side to side and my sinuses “pop” as they drain to the other side.

I’ve tried Buckleys, Advil cold and sinus, Nim Jiom herbal cough syrup, vicks vapor rub, saline nasal spray. Nothing is lessening this. My doctor wont give me anything. I’ve had a covid test, which was negative. I’m at the end of my rope here… what should I try?? Can I demand some kind of steroid or antibiotic??

1 Like

Generally doctors won’t give anything within the first few days for cold-like symptoms because so many different things can cause them; in particular both viruses and bacteria can cause such symptoms. That said after 2 1/2 weeks I would expect a doc to give one of the modern anti-biotics like zithromax; even if the doc suspects a virus it’s a reasonable diagnostic approach to rule out something bacterial.

I would definitely go back to the doc and talk this through; at least get a date for the next step if the symptoms don’t start to disappear.

4 Likes

Thank yeah, I am going to call tomorrow and see when I can get in. It’s freak’n brutal and not being able to exercise or anything I’m so down. Today I burst into tears in frustration because I had already been dealing with horrible highs for 2 months + DKA after the 2nd dose of covid vaccine and just when I was feeling better I got this. Just worn out and defeated. I know there’s worse but it’s how I feel.

1 Like

If it helps, I am sorry for you and hope you get well really really quickly. My son had a brutal cold last week (negative Covid) so something bad is circulating. uuugh, don’t like this part of the year.

1 Like

Thank you! I saw my doctor today and have been put on antibiotics and a steroid nasal spray. Here’s hoping things get better :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

So I started Siv-Amoxicillin (500mg 1 capsule 3 x per day) and Sandoz-Mometasone (50mcg 2 sprays ea. side of nose 1 x a day) Monday.

Today, my cold symptoms are much better, but I’m experiencing a lot of diarrhea which is probably the antibiotic and more concerning a racing heart (it feels similar to how I’ve felt when I’ve have a panic attack, but I don’t start having the panic attack). I went on a very short stroll and had to stop several times because my heart was racing so fast I thought I was going to pass out. I also get up from sitting and feel like I’m going to black out, but then it passes.

My blood ketones are 1.2. What action should I take? I think the steroid is messing with my sugars, but I need to take it the sinus infection was terrible.

I’m upping my background insulin, drinking fluids and I guess I won’t take a walk at least not solo.

Any recommendations??

I’ve emailed my Endo just now but let me know what you think…

1 Like

Make sure you’re getting enough electrolytes with your fluid intake and getting some carbs, too. Also, I was advised not to exercise when ketones are present. When I had a GI bug last spring, I was really surprised by how much extra insulin I needed.

2 Likes

Chugging a Biosteel right now;) Thank you, I will take it easy and monitor/adjust as needed. Wowza I’ve never been sick for so long: Issues from (I think) 2nd COVID vax, followed by sinus infection, followed by reaction to sinus infection meds…all together it’s been MONTHS. Ugggghhhhh.

2 Likes