RSV hassles

I’ve been in a battle with RSV for the past 7 days. One thing that has surprised me is BG is almost impossible to control no matter how much insulin I throw at it…sometimes. I’m probably averaging 180 or so over the past week with total insulin usage way up. Occasionally, maybe once a day, I will find myself treating a low. Overnight while sleeping (off and on) the Omnipod 5 is still able to do its thing and gives me decent BG from about 12-5 AM. Then its right back to frequent corrections and temp basals etc.

Just curious if anybody has battled RSV had similar experiences with BG. I have had other illnesses in the past few years (Covid twice…) and nothing came close to hitting my BG the way this RSV has been.

2 Likes

Oh John, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I don’t have experience with adult RSV, but it sounds miserable. Please take it easy on yourself and rest up. Sending a big hug xo- Jessica

4 Likes

Not sure it was RSV, but I got something over Thanksgiving (fever, sore throat, cough) and took me about 60 tdd to keep me at 200. My normal tdd is 35-40. It was nuts and kind of scary.

4 Likes

Turns out the first diagnosis was off…went back for a second opinion and it is bronchitis. What a PITA, my wife has it too. I can’t remember ever having something this bad for this long…and its not finished yet! Still dealing with unpredictable highs even though I upped my basal using Tresiba MDI to avoid overloading the pod sites. Tonight I’m going to try Novolog instead of Lyumjev in the pods and see if that makes a difference. They started me on antibiotics now which had better work.

3 Likes

I hope you and your wife get relief very soon! I wish I had something more helpful to offer…but you both have my well wishes!

3 Likes

Hope you both feel better soon.

3 Likes

I’ve had to deal with upper respiratory stuff my whole life. No fun, although I’ve never noticed any correlation with BG - maybe just being so run down from fighting off the bronchitis? I suppose the bright side is that you got a correct diagnosis and got on antibiotics before it turned into pneumonia. Feel better soon!

2 Likes

Yes I’m on the mend now, thanks everybody for the encouragement. The lesson learned is to have devices (CGM, pump, insulin) that you absolutely trust before wallowing around in the high BG land of a lengthy sickness. I spent countless hours fiddling with insulin dosing to try to get things under control and wondering if the pod site was absorbing OK or not. I ended up with basically an MDI regimen of Tresiba supplemental basal and Fiasp corrections to supplement my pumping Novolog, multiplying stacks upon stacks. Eventually worked but it was a long winding road to get there.

8 Likes

For some reason this song kept spending time in my head about an hour after every correction bolus:

3 Likes

I hate second guessing myself when boluses from the Pod seem ineffective. :thinking:

The first time I got sick I had no clue how much extra insulin was needed!! :flushed:

So glad you managed okay and recovered. :tulip:

2 Likes

I like your add ons, Tresiba & Fiasp!! I haven’t been that sick, but I sure like what you added on!! Good ideas for future reference if needed.

1 Like