Attn: Dexcom G4 and G5 Users - Upcoming Obsolescence Notification

Prior to a manufacturing change people were having great luck with long expired sensors. At some point I think they started making them with less enzyme so the storage lifetime isn’t as long. If manufactured prior to late 2018 I think you will be fine for a couple of years even. But after that I don’t think you will have luck with sensors that are expired by more than a year.

3 Likes

Thank you Chris for the swift response. I think they adapt to manufacturing according to what they find out about what we’re doing to prelong the use of their products… Just like the first kinds of G6 transmitters that could be restarted unlike those that followed…

2 Likes

So I have definitely seen the notice that Medicare users were being migrated to G6 effective June 2020 on the Dexcom website, but has anyone seen direct language from Dexcom regarding commercial plan customers migrating? I know the G5 was slated to sunset in the near future as early trials for the G7 were promising, but hadn’t seen anything definite yet.

1 Like

The Dexcom website linked by the OP says:
"Dexcom G4 PLATINUM and Dexcom G5 Mobile transmitters will be available for purchase through June 30, 2020. " and "Dexcom G4 Platinum and Dexcom G5 Mobile sensors will be available for purchase through the end of 2020. "

2 Likes

Thanks @John58 for clarifying that!

1 Like

Also, seems that my last couple sets of sensors have had less adhesive too

They are falling off around 10 days regardless of being glued which used to guarantee at least 14 days of adhesion

Along with the firefly being inaccurate, it seems necessary to start looking at other options

2 Likes

From original link:
*This announcement is only applicable to residents of the United States. If you’re an international patient, please reach out to your local Dexcom team/distributor for more information specific to your location.

3 Likes

Thank you, @MM2! I certainly missed that, and it’s very helpful to know. :roll_eyes::woozy_face: :sunflower:

2 Likes