Anyone use a G6 receiver not app with omnipod 5? the workaround? Need help

My daughter has Type 1 diabetes, has been on the Tslim pump for several years, recently advised by Dr about switching to Omnipod 5. When it works it s a blessing but we keep having same issue. We were told we could do a workaround using the dexcom g6 receiver, connecting the sensor then once get a reading after warmup turn the receiver completely off and it should connect to the omnipod 5 receiver. When we got trained the lady had never done this before so she didnt even know how to get it going and we were basically walked through the book and user guide and sent on our way. we figured out for most part on our own but main issue we are having is when she has to change the sesnor or the pod or both we have issues connecting back to transmitter on the omnipod 5. this has happened several times. for example last night she needed to change omnipod, her sensor had 1 day left so she she changed both. went through 2 hour warmup on dexcom she turned it off and then said transmitter not found on omnipod. she tried to restart it still same error. so she changed everything out again with a new transmitter and this time it worked. every time this happens we end up having to activate a new transmitter, this transmitter was only 2 weeks old. we have went through 5 transmitter so far with this issue. but crazy thing is the last time this happened, we were out of new transmitters and we redid the old one that was a month old and it worked again, this was the same one that had been on her previously when failed. I feel like we are missing a step somewhere? or doing something wrong as we were never shown. and everyone we talk to the trainer, the training rep and supervisor, the nurses at her DR, customer support at both dexcom and omnipod and even the diabetes educators at Dr office tells us they cant help or walk us through anything because we are not using an app on a phone. But yet they were happy to sell us this system and try to do training knowing this.

1 Like

Hi @Babyblue77. Welcome to FUD!

I am sorry that you need to be here, but at the same time I am glad you found us.

The Dexcom is a bit strange in that it only allows 2 connections at any time. One is a ā€œreceiverā€ slot, and the other is a phone slot.

At any time, it can only connect to 1 ā€œreceiverā€ device and 1 phone. That is it.

Because pumps want to allow you to use a phone for Dexcom to be able to share (makes sense), pumps opt for the ā€œreceiverā€ slot.

I apologize if I am just re-stating stuff you already know, but I just wanted to give some background on this.

So there is a problem with the Omnipod5 and itā€™s ability to grab the ā€œreceiverā€ slot when it was not used to start it.

Let me ask you this question first of all though. Why do you want to start it with the receiver and then switch over to the Omnipod5? Is there a problem just starting it with the Omnipod5 initially?

Let me tag @John58 and @mremmers and @Hammer who have more experience using that pump. Hopefully they can provide some advice.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, we were told this is a work around becuase we dont use phone app for either. They told us when she needs to change her sensor to turn on dexcom receiver and connect sensor and after 2 hour warm up and her first reading turn it off then in about 20mins it will connect to the omnipod receiver. the main issue this is fine until she has to change omnipod at a diff time or it loses connection is when we have all the transmitter not found errors on the omnipod

The OmniPod5 system only has one setting for the Dexcom, and that is putting in the transmitter ID.
Unfortunately this means you have to have some other device to start and stop sensors, etc.
I use my BlueJay watch for this purpose. And it also constantly monitors the sensor as well, so my BG readings are always on my wrist.

That being said, I have found that, more than once, if I go a long period of time where my watch is not in distance of my transmitter, the OmniPod screams at me saying it hasnā€™t received a reading from the dexcom in xx time.
I know this shouldnā€™t work this way. But it does for me.
This weekend it happened again (I left the watch charging in a different room, no connection.) The pod screamed at me for a while, and it showed I hadnā€™t had any readings for a little over an hour. I went and put my watch on, and the very first updated reading on the watch, the Omnipod also got all the past readings on updated.
I like the BlueJay watch for many reasons, but it is nice to control the dexcom from. And it is easy to see how old the sensor and the transmitter is. This helps keep yourself (or your daughter,) on top of expiration dates.
For reference, here is the watch I am talking about. https://bluejay.website/shop/product/bluejay-gts-26

1 Like

Thanks for that info Iā€™ll look into maybe that option but we starting her sensors with the dexcom receiver. So shouldnā€™t that work the same as the watch would? Idk just very confused on all this. Like I said we can stay and stop sensors but the issue is losing transmitter connection on the omnipod and can not connect back to it without changing a transmitter. I still feel like someone we are missing a step or doing something wrong out of order

So this is a dumb question, but does the Omnipod5 PDM-phone not allow you to start a sensor session with it?

I mean, does the PDM not even have this functionality included? :open_mouth:

i was curious about this receiver/omnipod 5 issue, so after glancing through the manual, it repeatedly says to use the phone app for new sensors, etc., so no, you canā€™t control the dexcom strictly from the omni5 pdm, however, i have read that there are a lot of line of sight issues with the dexcom/omni5, and wonder if that could help with the random disconnected issues, however, the new pods/transmitter/no phone app issues according to the manual, will continue because itā€™s designed to be used with the phone app.

1 Like

yes thats why no one will help. But yet the sell their product with this workaround and most people dont have issues with doing it this way. I just figured maybe someone else on here maybe uses it this way as Her Dr told me before we even got it that several of her other patients use with both receivers. Also in all honesty it states is designed to be used for 3year olds and up and what 3 year old has a cell phone lol. I just feel like we sold you our products now deal with it. I hate to have to even think about going back to the tandem pump as her blood sugars stayed high most all the time. I aslo understand might have issues disconnecting but dont understand why cant connect back but it will with new transmitter and at same time can reuse the same transmitter latter.

1 Like

I know, right? :joy:

Could it be that the old transmitter is not as strong as the new one?

the transmitter is only a couple days old everytime and then when it happens again we have been able to connect back to the last one had error on

you might want to consider android aps, or loop(for apple), she wouldnā€™t need an expensive phone, even a refurbished older model would work, the Dexcom receiver would still work, she wouldnā€™t have line of sight issues, you could also set up a nightscout account and be able to see her glucose levels on your phone, computer, etc., may seem like a lot of work at first, but its definitely an option to look intoā€¦the nightscout program has customizable reports the drs can manipulate, and it works with the g7

1 Like

She has a phone but the dexcom app is not available on it and pretty much out 1 phone works with both devices. There are not many phones the dexcom even work with

The connection issue for the transmitter seems to be fixed when I have my watch in range.
To be honest, I get the alarms for no readings even at night while wearing the watch, but it is almost always because I am sleeping in a manner that blocks the signal from my watch and the transmitter.

I think it is fairly crazy that Tandem can control the dexcom transmitter,sensors, but Omnipod cannot. I think it is more of a ā€˜we donā€™t want to get in the middle of that problem/headache, from a support point of viewā€™ kind of thing.

I might have my older Bluejay X2 watch I could send you to try out if you want?
I havenā€™t tested it in some time now, not sure the battery is any good. Let me know if you are interested.

1 Like

ive never used the dexcom app in my life, used xdrip since 2016 with a wearos Sony watch, xdrip is a free android download with many different options, definitely something to look into especially with android aps

2 Likes

I am not sure you are doing this, but I would also suggest waiting for a little bit after the initial reading (like not switching over right away), making absolutely sure the dexcom receiver is turned off (not just the screen, but is completely powered down), and also restart your omnipod device.

1 Like

we have went through 5 transmitter so far with this issue. - Donā€™t throw out those transmitters!

So Iā€™m not using the dexcom receiver at all because Iā€™ve been told several times itā€™s not compatible with OP5. The email I received from my Omnipod rep when getting the intro kit even stated it. I believe you would have to run your OP5 in manual mode to use it? Thatā€™s the workaround that I think is being referred to? So folks donā€™t get a prescription for Dash. Then it wouldnā€™t matter if the transmitter was connected to the pod or PDM?

Often upon changing the pod the transmitter will have a error message that it canā€™t be found by the PDM or the pod. This is something that happens with OP5 for most people from what I hear. I go into manual mode and delete the transmitter code and then re enter it. Then switch OP5 into auto mode. This has never not worked. I have NEVER had to ditch a transmitter because of this.

Every so often I will have to restart the PDM as well when it canā€™t connect to the POD. If the PDM says check status and canā€™t it will ask you to deactivate the pod. Do Not. Try to restart the PDM first. It almost always works.

You might consider buying a cheap used phone to use as Dex receiver. I know the PDM is heavy and itā€™s not fun to carry around plus a cell but it might be better than running in manual.

1 Like

So this is a dumb question, but does the Omnipod5 PDM-phone not allow you to start a sensor session with it?

I mean, does the PDM not even have this functionality included? :open_mouth:

Iā€™m not sure if someone already said this or not? You canā€™t do anything to dexcom with the OP 5 PDM. It will show you dexcom numbers and alert you when you go below 55(I think?).

So it will act as a second receiver besides the phone without any alerts. The nice thing is that if you are out of range and miss the dexcom 5 minute update you can still see it on the OP5 receiver. For example when Iā€™m swimming I keep the receiver on the side of the pool and check it during breaks. It only takes a couple of seconds. With the phone or dexcom receiver I would have to wait until the 5 minute update number was available.

I have been using Dexcom G6 for years, OP5 since January, previously pens. The G6 transmitter has 2 Bluetooth slots to communicate with apps. They are not dedicated, but the G6 will not do anything until it is activated, typically by either the Dexcom PDM or the Dexcom G6 phone app, though some have done it through xDrip app, an IOS alternative, or smartwatch. Once activated, Dexcom will log your data to central server specific to userā€™s account. Dexcom user may share the access with other users, typically family members & hip Endo offices. One can print various Clarity historical reports to share with doctors during appointments.
Those using Omnipod System 5 can set up to communicate via the 2nd slot to read updated blood glucose every 5 minutes. this can be done either with the Omnipod PDM, or the Omnipod 5 app, which is limited to a list of phones documented by them OmnipodĀ® 5 Device Compatibility | Omnipod (no iPhones yet). The PDM/app will display most recent glucose reading readily, older values in a history detail screen.
I started 1st 3 pods with the PDM that came in the intro kit before switching to the same phone I use for my Dex G6. All OP5 supported phones also work with the G6 app. The converse is not true. When setting up, Omnipod will prompt you to set up a Glooko ID, to which they forward readings of glucose AND insulin dosage, which can be variously displayed or reported.
One ought to explicitly stop a G6 transmitter as expired sensor is removed, else the slot can remain occupied, unable to pair & start next sensor.

Agree, xDrip may be a good option.

Nope.
The only thing the omnipod PDM does is input the transmitter ID.
That is all.

1 Like