Omnipod 5 Makes Dexcom Receiver Unnecessary?

My 13-yo son just got the Omnipod 5 after using the Dash. He does not yet have a smartphone, so we had been using the Omnipod PDM with the Dexcom G6 receiver. But from what I gather, it seems like Dexcom receiver is no longer necessary? He gets his CGM readings on the Omnipod 5 PDM and we’ve shut the Dexcom receiver off.

My wife and I still have the Dexcom apps on our iPhones, so we get his readings when he’s at home.

My question is whether i am missing something and perhaps the Dexcom receiver is still needed for some reason.

This may be irrelevant soon, as we’ll probably get him an Android phone, and he can use the Dexcom app and the Omnipod app on one device. At that point, would he even need the Omnipod 5 PDM?

Hi Tim. Welcome to FUD.

Actually for an even more specific clarification, on the OmniPod 5 system, you can say that the Dexcom receiver can’t be used.

The O5 communicates with the Dexcom sensor using the same communications slot that the receiver normally uses.

So they cannot both be used at the same time.

1 Like

I am using the Omnipod 5 and the Dexcom G6. I am running both the Omnipod 5 app and the Dexcom G6 app on my phone (Samsung S20+) without any problems. Both are displaying my blood sugar readings.

I still use the G6 app when I replace my sensor and/or transmitter. I also receive alerts from the G6 app that I don’t get from the Omnipod app.

I can’t speak about using the PDM, but the phone apps definitely CAN be used at the same time.

1 Like

This is correct and the advantage of using one of the approved phones. Most of us are eagerly awaiting for the list to be expanded and iOS to be added.

OP is talking about using the G6 receiver. As @Eric mentioned the G6 receiver cannot be used with the OP5. 2 communication slots are allowed . . . 1 medical device and one non-medical. The Omnipod itself takes the medical device channel and the G6 app on the phone takes the other. The OP6 Receiver qualifies as a medical device so it cannot communicate at the same time.

Hope that helps.

1 Like