Anyone in cicada territory?

The 17 year cicada brood X will be appearing soon !! 17 years ago was my first experience, and was quite noisy!!

6 Likes

I lived in Kansas for a while, and the hordes of cicadas some years was deafening. And crunchy underfoot.

Sidenote: Did you hear about the 2020 zombie cicadas?

2 Likes

No, but just read article. That’s bizzare !

About 5 years ago we had a small appearance of cicadas, that had messed up calendars.

I usually get carpenter bees around now, maybe there will be some interesting interactions.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for the birds, squirrels and pets, the predators!

3 Likes

Friends in Maryland have an outdoor wedding planned for mid-May so are more than a bit concerned about the cicada emergence!

2 Likes

Fried cicadas are delicious. I :heart: when they come out to play. It’s a delicacy only able to be enjoyed once every 17 years. Brood X should be especially tasty.

If you like shrimp, asparagus or almonds then you should try them.

2 Likes

Silly overachiever cicadas! They figured they’d get a head start! :rofl:

2 Likes

PBS Newshour has a very humorous and informative piece on the “invasion”!

4 Likes

A fairly well known homebrewer/manufacturer in Cincinnati talked about brewing a beer made with cicadas some years back, in a homebrew forum.

2 Likes

Fun story. We’d moved to VA, never having been in Cicada territory. We were at Fort Belvoir (commissary run…think grocery store) and heard what I could only describe as jet engine running, something akin to a C5 (very distinct military cargo plane). Drove around trying to locate the airfield, but the sound kept sounding like a different direction. Finally figured out it was the Cicada’s!!! It was everywhere! Experienced the last brood x appearance after buying a new house with young trees…the young tender limbs were decimated! But, we had fun picking up the Cicada’s and feeding them to the ducks and geese that frequented the pond in back of our house! They’d buzz going down those long necks and even continue to make noise for few seconds once all the way down!

5 Likes

To us the sound reminded us of a non-stop whirring Star Trek transporter beam! :smiley:

Update: In the last couple days I’ve heard a low distant hum, but not actual cicadas on ground or trees in my yard yet.

2 Likes

Different broods of cicadas have different periodicities. The 17-year one is pretty big in some places, but others come out every 3 years, every 5 years, etc.

And interestingly, the periodicities that produce significant numbers of cicadas are all prime numbers! (Because math!)

4 Likes

I think that must be because it’s a mathive event. :roll_eyes:

Dave

2 Likes