Adapter to connect luer-lock infusion set to t:slim cartridge

So just take a link to that STL file from Thingaverse and contract to have 5 or 10 of them printed. It will be fairly cheap because they can fit all of them on one run of the 3D printer because they are so small. You should be able to find someone locally able to print them.

3 Likes

You might want to look for a “Makerspace” or similar around where you live. Our local ones in Leesburg and Purcelville, VA have several types of 3D printers, both solid filament and UV deposition. One of the members would probably be glad to build what you need for a small fee, particularly if you already have the g-code for the build and explain the reason for need. Many of the members at these places maintain small side businesses for printing parts for people.

4 Likes

Someone could make them and sell them, right? There is nothing illegal about making it, right?

Tandem may have a patent on their fitting, but I wouldn’t think they don’t have a patent on something that fits “into” it.

Just like all those people that sell pod stickers or Dex stickers, and pump cases and whatever else. Why not make these adapters? How big would the market be?

1 Like

Your right Eric, the thought of patent infringement didn’t enter my thoughts. Though if the parts are unique in design, i.e. fitting one patented part to another, infringement may not be an issue.

1 Like

I’m not so sure about that. I believe that a prime reason they changed to a proprietary connector when they were still a small company is that they were under tremendous financial pressure from Medtronic, who (I think) was trying to put them out of business. So Tandem needed to ensure that anyone who bought pump supplies for the t:slim had to buy both reservoirs and infusion sets that were sold exclusively by Tandem. It quickly became 30% of their revenue, and saved the company from bankrupcy.

So I suspect that they have strong patent protection on both halves of the t:lock connector, because they really really needed to be the sole supplier. I can’t guess how small a bootleg t:lock adapter maker would have to be to avoid getting a threatening cease-and-desist letter from Tandem, but I can’t imagine that some guy running off 5 would be in trouble.

3 Likes

Here is a very dumb question, but it seems like maybe an obvious question.

If people want to use the other types of infusion sets, why won’t Tandem make better ones that people will want? Make sets like the “other” ones people are trying to connect?

2 Likes

We hope they will. At present, they seem to work with only one manufacturer. I fear that the bad blood between Tandem and Medtronic might preclude a t:lock quickset. (When does that design come out of patent protection?) I’d be satisfied with a t:lock Smith Cleo, which also has a ring-over-post design for the tube-to-set connection, although I would prefer the quickset.

2 Likes

If one of their marketing people thought they can sell enough sets and make a profit, I am certain they would, but it would have to be a pretty big issue to go through the hassle of sourcing a new set and adding the connector. Additionally, some of the larger suppliers in the space I am sure have agreements that preclude sets similar to theirs to be sold to competitors out of the same factory.

2 Likes

I’ll stick some on USPS Monday 5/2 for you.

1 Like

@Chris , correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Tandem’s sets made by Unomedical (now Convatec) who is the big Gorilla in the market space?

1 Like

Haven’t looked into it, but if that is the case, then Tandem has probably picked the most used sets to create a group of infusion sets that would meet most needs but not have a lot of inventory left to expire. Because they entered the game relatively recently they don’t have a lot of legacy sets that the older players carry forward.

1 Like

I think so, since XCs were out of stock during Unomedical mfg issues. My supplier sent me autosoft 90s, which I later swapped back to XCs, direct with Tandem.

3 Likes

I would assume they make the sets to the clients’ specifications.

2 Likes

I agree with you, if the client has done the research and knows what they want, otherwise companies like Convatec are happy to have customers buy their solutions as well. They usually make more money that way since they are using their IP.

4 Likes

I finally received my new box of Luer- lock sets today (Thanks to Australia Post’s 8 day local delivery time :confounded:)
So they aren’t actually Quick-sets but very similar, in that the set has a separate, not integrated, inserter. It looks really good.
However Tandem did a great job of making connection impossible.
First I tried shaping the Luer connection with scissors, blades, and a small file,
It still wouldn’t go in so I dipped both ends in just- boiled water. It went in and felt like a tight fit but when I tested a bolus of 3 units in half- unit increments only one drop came through instead of the normal 6 drops. When I disconnected the two ends, there was insulin pooled in there.
So burned and cut fingers later :sweat_smile: no luck!
If any of you has someone who could make these luer- to- T- lock connectors I am happy to finance it, within reason.
In the meantime I will source the parts in the link given and start there.
Have we got enough clout as a representative group to be worth actually letting Tandem know that there are many of us wanting more infusion set options?
Oh, and yes, I am in Western Australia. I am a pensioner, and luckily as such, I get heavily subsidised supplies.

1 Like

I think I found a solution. It is pretty simple. It’s a press fit. When I was done it was very snug and seemed like it would last.

If you intentionally pull on it, yes you can pull it out. But with normal use, I believe this would work. Fluids take the path of least resistance. And the fit is very tight. So I do not believe it would leak or come off.

I have no way of testing this though, since I don’t have a Tandem pump. But I can send the parts to anyone (cough… @elver ) and see how it works in the real world.

Here are some pictures:

And this is the only thing you would need to buy, (besides the infusion sets and the Tandem cartridges). This is a medical device so it is already sterile for you. :+1: And you don’t need a prescription for it. :grinning:

Another thing to do would be to use some heat-shrink insulation. That would make it more secure.

I did not do that because I wanted the picture to show it. But I can do that real quick and take a picture to show what I mean.

EDIT:

You are secure, you are tight, you are leak-proof, and you are sterile.

Sit down fitting! You aren’t going anywhere!

3 Likes

My suggestion would be to use a marine heat shrink, It has a thermo-adhesive designed to keep water out of a connection. It would work well to give a strong mechanical connection.

2 Likes

Yep! Just gotta get the right size. :+1:

I dipped the end in boiling water for a few seconds, instead of using a lighter. A lighter would do bad things to the tubing.

Also, I held the smaller tubing side (the side with the Tandem cartridge) UP when it was in the water. That allowed the air to come out between the heat-shrink and the tubing.

1 Like

Here is a link to the adapter. Be careful, some places will charge you a crazy amount. At this site, they are only $68 for a box of 50, so only $1.36 per piece.

If you do a search, just look for Vygon 7" microbore ams-761.

Steer clear of that diabetes site, they want to charge you $50 for one.

@elver, I have some of these. Lemme know if you want me to hook you up.

Also, I only burned 2 of your cartridges. I can send the rest back, along with the microbore adapters.

Here is a link for anyone who wants to try this. There are some tricks to getting the tubing connected. How to hold it and feed it in, etc. I can give details if anyone wants to try.

6 Likes

I have ordered the parts in the link to tudiabetes, but would love to source some Luer lock Tandem cartridges if anyone has any they would sell me?

1 Like