A low fat/fiber spread for my bland low fat/fiber diet

I was in Kroger looking at nut butter labels when I found powered peanut butter. It is both low fat and fiber, but what to do with it.

Into the caldron in my mind, I concocted a potion that might be tasty.

I bought the PB powder and a carton of Chiban low fat Greek yogurt.

I used 4 tablespoons of powered PB, 1 tablespoon of Splenda and a bit of cinnamon. Whipped it all together with a fork. Not bad, fairly high protein, low fat and little fiber.

I can certainly believe it’s not butter or peanut butter, but we do what we have to do.

8 Likes

That truly doesn’t not sound terrible. And for something savory, leave off the Splenda and add some interesting herbs, maybe some smoked paprika, garlic powder … I’m sure others will have interesting ideas, too. It would make an interesting drizzle over roasted veggies (if we’re going low fiber/low fat again: regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, avocado, maybe corn (can’t remember fiber?))

4 Likes

How much fat and fiber are you allowed?

Avocados actually have quite a bit of fiber. :frowning:

@Michel’s approach to cooking rice reduces the glycemic hit a lot…

1 Like

So crazy – avocados were on my “low residue” colonoscopy diet and I ate a couple a day!! Wonder what they have that other fibrous foods do not to make the list?! (And I’m happy to hear that they have fiber – one of my favorite foods!)

@CarlosLuis what about your newly-invented drizzle over a baked tofu? That sounds pretty good, too!

2 Likes

Well, that’s a good question. Looking at the recommendations for post ileal resection surgery bland diet is really running the gamut. I suppose I will learn more hopefully from a dietician. The idea is to not overload the gut too fast after a major interruption of function. (A major assault on the bowels :joy:)

Easily digested proteins and low residue carbs are recommended. Peeled and cooked soft vegetables and fruits, no berries, no skins, not seeds or nuts. Foods that cause excess gas such as coles, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.

At some point I will get to slowly add fibrous foods to see how it goes.

I just don’t have any figures on how much fiber and fat is allowed.

2 Likes

i just tripped over this thread snooping around while i sip my caffeine: i don’t know if this is still relevant, or even if it would be helpful for you, but when i want to add pizzazz without materially changing the nutritional profile i get a TON of mileage out of premade seasoning blends! and they’re great because they’re zero extra work, just shake the bottle and go. maybe they would work for your situation if you still have these constraints?

here are some of my favorites:

everything bagel: i mix this into egg bites or scrambles, shake it onto cottage cheese, and use it to season meats. a lot of companies make a version of this, they’re all about the same, i happen to have einstein bros right now. it has more substance than some of the others so you might want to check fiber etc since it has some sesame seeds etc.

trader joes 21 seasoning salute: this makes things taste like thanksgiving without all the heaviness! i mix into grain/salad dressings, and use it to season meats. if you shake it on toast, it’s sort of like stuffing!

elotes: many brands make seasoning that imitates the flavor of mexican street corn. jazzes up everything from vegetables to meats!

penzeys spice blends: penzeys has a wide array of options!!! many are also low salt or salt free. i really like revolution, outrage, buttermilk ranch, sunny paris, fox point, tsardust dreams, and singapore curry for savory, and their pie spice or cake spice blends are great dessert-leaning choices. so many ways to use all of their options, and they often have really good sales going at penzeys.com - many of these would work in a variety of spreads or dips.

do you have an NO2 canister, like for making whipped cream? you can use that (or the old-fashioned way with a whisk or beaters) to aerate things like yogurt, to make it more like a mousse or dessert. penzeys baking blends in something like this can be close to decadent! and personally i have a sensitivity to cocoa that causes a rash, so no chocolate for me, but i bet it would work great if you aren’t allergic!

5 Likes

This is great, maybe repost in

1 Like