40 Years - Type 1

@CarlosLuis, yes, I really appreciate this forum here. It has been great support for our family, Team Diabetes, and a helpful source of information. Who knows, I might still get it myself, since it looks like my side of the family might be the source. My son’s fairly relaxed about it all and is dealing with it well, with the occasional ‘I hate my body’, but he gets to have that, no problem. We did look into a diabetes camp, but with Covid he didn’t feel comfortable doing it, despite all of us being fully vaccinated. Next year, maybe. He just joined a new school and found out pretty quickly that two more kids run around with CGMs … the secret sign :slight_smile:

Funny you should mention waiting on FedEx. We just had the same thing happening two weeks ago. Overnight becomes very slow when there’s a weekend in between. Once you have it, it’s hard to go back.

2 Likes

I have 40 minutes left on the warm up. Did a finger stick before lunch. Glad your kid found some kids in his club. The secret sign, I like that.

1 Like

In my son’s high school there were three other Type 1’s, but one was easy to spot because they had a diabetes dog with them. Not so secret there.

1 Like

Ha! This comment I’ll have to keep from him. He would looove that too much, and use it against me. He always wanted a dog, of course … and I never wanted to take care of one, of course. Since he heard of diabetes dogs, he’s been using it as an argument. Good to have such persuasion skills in life. Still no dog, we’ll stick with the tech.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. I only had to urine test for a year or two and then got the brick…lol

Welcome to FUD!

Don Muchow - T1Determined

3 Likes

Hasn’t been a better time to be dignosed. CGM is by far the real game changer for this disease.

4 Likes

Actually in the “old” days it was easy (once disposable syringes were available). One injection per day for me, through college. Occasional urine testing to log and bring to next dr appt.

In mid 1980s I started “mdi” using NPH am and before bed, REG for breakfast and dinner. At some point started Bg testing with huge lancets!

It was the DCCT results that initiated major changes in treatment, as it proved tighter control prevented/slowed complications. Thats when my doctor convinced me to start insulin pump and early sof-sensors cgm from Medtronics. And having problems with early cgm led me to find many great diabetes forums!

8 Likes

My favorite part of that story was the trip to dairy Queen. The Being at the fair was ok… But that diagnosis part… I could have done without that sheesh😁 congrats Timex

2 Likes

Lol…funny how you don’t think about that until 40 years down the road…why Dairy Queen??? But makes me smile.

1 Like

@jim26
Congrats! I was diagnosed in 1979, so I have many of the same memories you do. Thanks for recalling those times.

2 Likes

I remember my mom buying Tab - the 1st sugar-free soda that I ever had. It was awful. lol
62 years and loving all the great advancements.

4 Likes

@karen337 Ah yes, saccharin and cyclamate - those were the days :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the great article!

2 Likes

I for one kind of acquired a taste for saccharine especially in soda. I remember initially not liking the sodas with the new sweeteners. Kind of funny.

1 Like