2 Days after Christmas - how did everyone cope?

Most know I have been doing chemotherapy. I had the last round on the Tuesday prior to Christmas. I experienced longer fatigue and queasiness than the other infusions.

Well, I feel good on this Wednesday. I am going EAT some tamales, because, well that’s what we do. Some for lunch and some for dinner. Wish I had some Afrezza.

Did everyone do well controlling their BG without snaking, stacking, sliding up and down on the BG roller coaster?

9 Likes

Hi @CarlosLuis!
Enjoy the tamales, that sounds great!

I did fine. I had goose and potato dumplings and red cabbage for Christmas dinner. And cheesecake for dessert, courtesy of @daisymae.

I’ve been working on the table full of Christmas treats whenever I have been low. This time of year makes the lows much more fun!

6 Likes

I did fine, too, over Christmas, and even had Christmas cake. But today was pretty bad, a high of 259 mg/dL (13.9 mmol/L) after G6 sensor warmup which took nearly 2 hours to come down. This is not unheard of for me on a sensor change day :frowning: I need to be more strict on sensor changing day - a New Year’s resolution!!

7 Likes

Or maybe the cake had something to do with it? :man_shrugging:

:joy:
Just kidding ya, @Trying!

4 Likes

But that was 3 days ago now! Those 2 hours of warmup are probably more mentally disastrous than anything physical for me. I probably need to upgrade to the G7 with no warmup!

5 Likes

Here’s a thought for you.

I don’t do this, but I think @JessicaD told me this. If I am remembering it correctly, I think she said that she does the change before she goes to bed. So that she does not have to deal with the warmup time. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

That’s a great tip! I do mine around noon not the best time!

2 Likes

I ate waaaay too much, about 16 oz prime rib early afternoon, various fatty sweets later afternoon and evening, which led to a steady climb all night, up to 360 mg/dl. ! I’m pretty sure I only needed to eat about 1/3 of the food I ate…

Also, I need to change my high BG alarm tone, too easy to sleep through.

3 Likes

Ha! So I do do this, BUT it’s a little risky bc if you’re off when the warmup time ends (usually around 2am for me), then you’re dealing with middle of the night nonsense! It’s worth it for me, though, bc I can’t stand watching the blank space for two hours! (I’m nervous about switching to G7 so will stick w G6 for now, but the no warmup time is by far the most compelling thing about it!)

4 Likes

Ha, me, too! I’m okay dealing with BGs at night as I’m used to it!! I think this will work much better for me. I am also nervous about switching to G7!

3 Likes

I had a pretty hectic time with 5 grandkids and families all together for most of the celebrating from Friday through Tuesday. I did reasonably OK during the Christmas Eve and Day meals, snacks, drinks etc. That included a Christmas brunch feast for the families that required bolus guesswork over about a 2 hour brunch duration followed by barbecuing for fajitas, chili con queso, guacamole, beer all afternoon. Anyway, survived all that without any PITA high excursions.

Tuesday night the farewell meal was a mountain of pizza, enhanced by the discovery that the local pizza restaurant also delivers six packs at a decent price…pizza high excursion starting about 5 hours later and lasting most of Tuesday night!

5 Likes

Although i dont exactly celebrate Christmas, we have a tradition in our home that every Christmas we order in Chinese Food and watch a movie. I went whole hog on the dinner and sky-rocketed in the middle of the night Strange bc all evening my sugars were in perfect range. I have Chinese food from now and then and have not had any problems with it. I just bolus heavily. But i did pig out and i know that all that starch and sugar on board didnt help any. I actually gave myself a shot instead of bolusing through my pump to bring the sugars down and i put on a TB of 120% for a couple of hours. I think doing those both helped bc when i woke up my sugars were fine.

7 Likes