Ypsopump just approved in Canada

Dana pumps are already supported by AndroidAPS, too :slight_smile:

Out of pocket expense could be huge. I just renewed my Omnipod PDM warranty, which essentially is the same thing as purchasing a new PDM. Fortunately, my insurance covers all but 10%, but cost is $6K+! And now that I’m looping, I don’t really use the PDM, except as a backup.

So, this company is giving away free pumps to people who use pumps. Any brand and both in warranty or not. With the purchase of three months of supplies (which is covered by Pharmacare for me).

So there is a strong probability I’ll be switching to this pump, at least for the time being. (The warranty lasts a year for people who do not have an in-warranty pump.)

Also, my insurance coverage changed with regards to Libre and I now meet all the criteria, so I’ve put in an application for that.

It’s looking like Ypsopump and Libre will be my new combination, at least for the time being. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, I decided to go for it!

Since I’ve switched to the Libre, I decided to take advantage of Ypsomed offering their pump free to any current pumper with the purchase of three boxes of cartridges and infusion sets (that offer is until the end of August). I will be meeting with someone to see the pump tomorrow just to make absolutely sure but I’ve already submitted all my paperwork to get the process started, so here’s hoping I have a new pump by the end of the summer. :grinning:

The warranty on this new pump will be for a year (since my current pump is long out of warranty), and since my insurance also requires re-approval of the Libre every year, I’ll be able to re-evaluate everything in a year if I’m not happy with the setup.

5 Likes

Very cool! Also the 1 year warranty is super great. If you hate it at least you’re not stuck with it for 4 years! Looking forward to your updates :smiley:

1 Like

I just saw it and love it! Super, super tiny. Very bright and clear display. Large fonts (at least as large as Animas fonts, probably slightly larger). iPhone app that displays all the stats. I should be set up and trained by mid-August.

5 Likes

@Jen how are you liking the ypsomed so far? I thought I saw a write up you did about it, but can’t find it now. I am seriously considering giving it a try. Would you recommend it? I see they have a fantastic switch program similar to omnipod.

I posted something in @Nickyghaleb’s Facebook group, so maybe that is what you’re thinking of.

So far, my experiences with the pump after a month have been fairly positive. I love the pump itself, quite enjoy the app (it does take a rather long time to pair with the pump…hopefully something that will be fixed), and love the inserter that can be used with the infusion sets. The pump itself is a joy to use. I just love its user interface, its super clear screen, and really everything about its physical design. I also love how quick the cartridge change process is and the ability to pre-fill cartridges.

The infusion sets are just so-so. They do rotate 360 degrees, which is neat. But there is no anchor patch, and therefore I’ve ripped out two sets by catching them on clothing (and because there’s a 360 degree lip running around the circumference of the set, it doesn’t take a lot to pull it out). I’ve also have huge problems with occlusions—nine in the past month! Ypsomed has sent me a free box of replacement infusions sets, so that’s been great, but the occlusions are annoying and I haven’t been able to determine the cause. The only other annoyance is that, since the pump is so new to Canada, getting my pharmacy set up to order supplies has been a bit of a process.

I got the pump through the SWITCH program, and so there’s really no downside to it at all. It’s a free pump and some free supplies (at least in Canada) with the purchase of three months of supplies. So, if after three months you hate the pump, you can just go back to your old one. In my case my old pump is the Animas, which supplies are no longer available for, so my primary reason for switching to this pump was to be using a device for which I could still get supplies. Ypsomed has some exciting plans coming up (two-way communication between the pump and app, Libre integration with the app, integration with Glooko, loop compatibility for the pump). So it will be very interesting to see over the coming months and years what pans out.

1 Like

completely off topic, but I think I must spend about 88% of my life feeling this way. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you for the update! It looks like a really interesting pump. It seems like there are very limited reviews on it so I am glad you could provide some personal experience. I really like how small it is and that potentially soon will have two way communication with the app.

I couldn’t find much information in English, but there’s more in other languages. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

FDA submission of the Ypsomed Insulin Pump was initially done in late May 2018.

The FDA requested an additional study which will require the pump to be resubmitted to the FDA.

Ypsomed expects to submit and gain approval and presumably launch in the USA during 2020.

Insulin pumps in the USA are regulated by the FDA and require prescriptions from a Doctor. Insulin pumps may be FDA Class II, Class III, or “Class II with special controls” depending on the functionality within the pump and how the submission is made.

Yes - I saw one of the reps at a diabetes expo a month or two ago and I think she said something about applying for approval in the US. So hopefully coming soon!

2 Likes

One of the features I really love about this pump is the ability to prefill glass cartridges. I’m going on a 10-day trip over the holidays and won’t have to worry about filling a single pump cartridge, even if I get delayed for some reason. (The manual says you can prefill cartridges up to seven days ahead if unrefrigerated and up to 30 days ahead if refrigerated.)

2 Likes