Women's Health Wiki: How Has Your T1D Been Impacted By Different Female Life Stages?

Women’s Health Wiki: How Has Your T1D Been Impacted By Different Female Life Stages?

The following narratives have been collected from FUD women explaining how the different biological stages of their lives has impacted their diabetes and their self-care.

REPRODUCTIVE YEARS

I have been T1D for 20 years and am now in my reproductive years. I use pump + CGM.

From ages 16-20 I was on Ortho Tricyclin Lo birth control pills, and from age 20 to now I have had a Nexplanon arm implant. I personally have not gotten my period for the majority of the time I have had the implant, so I would have a difficult time correlating changes in insulin resistance to my menstrual cycle; the last time I had even slight spotting was in December. I can say that in comparison to my time on traditional birth control pills, my insulin needs are much more linear now than they were before. I will occasionally have about a week or two of increased insulin needs, randomly, and then it eventually mellows out back to where I was before. Interestingly, the difference tends to be in my ratios rather than my basal needs most of the time these days, where basals might get a slight tweak but my insulin:carb ratio will range from 1:10 to 1:14, and my ISF from 1:50 to 1:60.

When I was on the pill, I would have noticeable changes in insulin resistance/higher basal needs in the few days before and the first few days of my period. This would be combined with a noteworthy increase in hunger and food cravings, making the insulin resistance thing more of a problem. I never really worked out a totally successful way to manage this issue, and would end up just running higher during this time of the month. When I first got Nexplanon, and stopped taking the pill, I noticed decreased insulin resistance, and my total daily dose went from like 60 units of Humalog to 40-45ish.”

~~

“I’m 37, diagnosed at 36. I’ve not had kids, and am not planning any. Diagnosed long after puberty, and am too young for menopause!

I’m on the Nexplanon implant for birth control. I’ve been happy with it from a birth control standpoint, and realized after diagnosis from reading your women’s health/diabetes threads that I think it’s been pretty beneficial for me from a T1D standpoint as well. Since it’s a steady hormone release, it doesn’t have the week off, so to speak, like pills would, so it seems to keep things on a pretty even plane for me. It has stopped my periods entirely. As a result of all this, I suppose, I’ve not noticed any trends in BG management related to a hormonal cycle. (I do wonder about the possible health consequences of hormonal birth control, but it’s one of those things I felt I had to decide to just go with and not fret over at this point).

I believe I’m in still a bit of a “honeymoon” period as I think my pancreas is still smoothing things out a bit for me. I suppose it’s possible that as time goes by, and it gets more complicated for me, that any hormonal changes may become more noticeable.”

~~

23 years with D. MDI with cgm (Tresiba, Afrezza, Humalog). Diagnosed at age 8, currently 31. I naturally adjusted my basal rates as needed based on trends at night, but I didn’t realize that hormones might be contributing or that I should be watching for a monthly pattern until I read the experiences of other women with T1D. Once I realized I should be tracking this, I found the following basal pattern:

1st week immediately following my period: grading down from 27 or 28 units to 26 units/day
2nd week: 26 units/day. Least insulin resistance in this week at meals. Noticeably easier overall diabetes management. Consistently lowest average bg and standard deviation of the month.
3rd week: 26 units with a slow grade to 27 or 28 by the end of the week.
4th week/period: 27 or 28 units/day

Most of the time, I would peak at 28 units/day, but sometimes that was a little too much and I’d stick to 27 units through the end of my cycle. This was while I was on the NuvaRing. I’ve recently gone off the NuvaRing. My basal needs have changed, but I’m still in the process of finding monthly patterns.”

~~

“I’ve had T1D for 5 years. The pump did not work for me, but MDI with Humalog and Lantus (now Admelog and Basaglar) has worked just fine for me for 5 years and so far, I’ve not experienced too much difficulty with being a woman and a diabetic. I have had pre-existing period issues before my diabetes that were only slightly changed after my diagnosis and treatment. I only find slight changes with my blood sugar during my period such as having high blood sugar the night before and being lower through the entire period. So far I’ve only had male doctors since I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes though and it’s been somewhat interesting, but I’d say my endocrinologist was very respectful and paid attention even if he didn’t feel comfortable with advising me on anything for my period (outside of blood sugar control).”

~~

“I’ve had diabetes (LADA) for 2.5 years. I’m currently on MDI, though I also use Afrezza. I use a Libre as my CGM. I was diagnosed 4 months before I became pregnant with my second child, and unfortunately wasn’t clear on the diagnosis until partway through the pregnancy, so I don’t know what my blood sugar was doing prior to about 20 weeks when I started monitoring it. Once I did, I cut all simple/sugary carbs to try to minimize spikes until I could get access to insulin. I started basal insulin at 27 weeks (Levemir, 12u/day). I added bolus (Novolog) within a week, and stayed at a 1:5-1:6 ICR for the rest of my pregnancy. I still restricted my carb intake pretty heavily because of my ICR, staying around 100-150g carbs/day, and I chose more complex carbs and less simple/sugary carbs. I did notice a slight drop in insulin needs around 36 weeks along (went into labor at 38.5 weeks), but I didn’t even really have to change my ratios; my postprandial rises were just more flat.

After pregnancy, my insulin needs dropped to almost nothing - dosed only for sweets - for about 4 weeks, and then gradually my numbers started inching up again. I began mealtime insulin again, and was at a 1:25-1:30 ICR. That stayed pretty steady until my cycles returned, which is when things really started changing.

I began waking to higher fasting levels (100-120 where before it was 70-90) for 3 weeks of my cycle, from ovulation through the end of my period. That continued for several months, and then I did a round of progesterone pills because we discovered my hormones were basically near a pre-menopausal level (and I’m not even 30).

I started basal insulin, and that helped bring my fasting levels back to 90-100 and also blunted my post prandial spikes. I also noticed “the drop” more than I have before as I neared the end of my cycle.”

~~

“I’ve been diabetic for 35 years. I am still technically in my child bearing years although I’m getting a bit long in the tooth. When I was younger I noticed much more dramatic fluctuations from hormonal changes than I do now. I’m not sure if it’s age (43) or insulin pump therapy. Control is much tighter now than when I was a teen. I still notice a small rise in my blood sugars when I PMS (for me it’s two weeks prior to starting a period).

My first pregnancy was insane, I looked for a Dr. that specialized in diabetes and pregnancy and actually found one. She was from hell, a horrible, horrible woman. So I went to my regular GYN and he shared with me that he had a nurse that used to work with a Dr. that specialized in T1D and pregnancy. He was confident together we could have a successful pregnancy. I found ONE book at the time on the subject but it was basically about gestational diabetes. My first pregnancy they were extremely cautious, overly so, but my son was healthy and I was well throughout. He was born at 38 weeks, he was transverse so we opted for a c-section, which alleviated my worries about controlling blood sugar levels during delivery and risking a NICU baby. Back then health care was reasonable and wasn’t nearly as costly as it is now. I saw the Dr. once a week for the first two trimesters and twice a week in the third. I faxed (I said it was a while ago) bgs to the nurse daily. Tested my sugars fasting, pre & post meals and at bedtime. The pump was available but not suggested by any of my doctors during pregnancy. I used MDI and my insulin requirements increased so much I nearly exceeded my ‘normal’ 1/2 cc syringe so would need two injections each time or a bigger syringe. Thankfully that didn’t happen. I gained 60 lbs with him. I did get really sick once I was released from the hospital, I couldn’t eat for a month. It was frustrating because no one knew why and I didn’t have the energy to care for a newborn. Ultimately they decided it was a combo of diabetes and c-section - since our digestive track is slower and c-sections shock the intestines. They surmised my stomach acid was backing up and making me sick.

My second pregnancy was 8 years later but with a pump! They no longer considered me ‘high-risk’ and took a much more laid back approach. Appointments were basically the same as a non-diabetic. I live in a smaller town now and endos are really hard to come by, so I was pretty much managing my own with some help from my primary care doctor. I gained less than 20 lbs with this pregnancy and only had to increase my insulin a bit in the last trimester. My youngest came 6 weeks early with no explanation. They attempted to give me steroids to mature his lungs when my water broke. The steroids shot my blood sugar into dangerous zones and I went DKA for the first time in my life. My OBGYN was out-of-town and the on-call asked who managed my diabetes, I responded that I did. She said that the steroid would increase my blood sugars and I said I can compensate with insulin, but I need a ratio to do so. It was a challenge to find said ratio. The high glucose levels stopped my labor, but my water had broke 12 hours prior and they were worried about infection, my baby was also stressed from lack of amniotic fluid. It was a tense few hours and she came back with a syringe of an insane amount of insulin (like 30 units I think) she found a T1D nurse and he suggested the ratio. I told her she better have glucose ready (I couldn’t eat because he was going to be c-section) I was convinced she was going to kill me. She didn’t (yay!) and it brought my sugars down to normal. Someday I will learn to trust them. They gave me a second dose of steroid 12 hours later (this time we were able to compensate better with insulin). We waited another couple hours and then proceeded with the delivery. He was a healthy 5 lbs 9 oz and no issues with his blood sugar. He did go on oxygen after a day or so. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU.

I think pump therapy helps quite a bit with the hormonal changes. I’m now on a 670g which is marketed as an “artificial pancreas”, I haven’t personally found this to be true, I still have to “compensate” on my own some. It does help though with some of the fluctuations I think. I’m not sure yet how different it will be throughout pre-menopause and menopause.

Diabetes is something we can live with - obviously - but it does make every single thing a tiny bit harder. Being a woman with diabetes is even more difficult and to prove my point: My current PA/CDE (who is male and a T1D for 50 years) eye rolled at my last appointment when I mentioned hormonal shifts and blood sugars, so the struggle is real ladies.”

~~

T1D 13 years. MDI for 8 years. Pumper for 5 years. Use CGM. In my reproductive years still today.

While on hormonal birth control (Nuvaring), I did notice increasing insulin resistance as each cycle progressed. My Lantus dose would stair step up from 11-13 units each cycle. While on MDI without birth control, my Lantus dose would stair step up from 11-15 units each cycle. The hormonal birth control appeared to moderate my insulin resistance caused by hormones, but due to the complex migraines it caused me I can no longer use it.

Now with pumping (and no hormonal birth control), I use temporary basal rates ranging from -10% to +30% as the main way to manage insulin resistance and sensitivity changes that occur throughout each cycle. And each cycle is different, needing different adjustments. These basal rate fluctuations impact about 2.5 weeks of each of my cycles. I typically see spikes in resistance during the days leading up to and including ovulation, as well as during the increasing hormones through the second half of my cycle after ovulation.

I tend to experience ‘the drop’ in insulin resistance anywhere from a few days prior to my period to 12 hours after my period starts. I have to be ready for it because switching from running extra basal to needing less basal (plus considering any bolus insulin in my system for foods or corrections) can make for VERY scary drops and persistent lows. I keep my meals and snacks even more standardized than normal (and they’re usually pretty darn standardized) during this transition time so that I can identify the fluctuations as quickly and safely as possible. I’ve learned that the hard way…having to enlist neighbors to come sit with me as I was trying to drink my way out of an unending low one time due to ‘the drop’.

I have had two successful pregnancies. Both were done using MDI, and only one was done with CGM. My insulin resistance occurred as predicted in all of the diabetic pregnancy books out there. And the reduction in insulin needs at the end of pregnancy is very real. That happened for me before I even knew I was in labor with baby boy #2. I had to chug juice and Sprite all day long (due to my Lantus dose being completely mismatched now based on pregnancy hormone changes) before I even realized I was in labor. I also had to be really, really, really firm with the Labor and Delivery department at the hospital that if they were going to take my Sprite away from me, they’d better start a Dextrose drip ASAP. “We’re sorry, we’re not allowed to start an IV until all of your paperwork is completed.” Me, at 9cm, informed them, “If you don’t start this Dextrose drip NOW, you’re going to have a whole lot more paperwork to complete to explain why I’m dead.” Then the OB/GYN came in, I told her what I needed, and she overruled everyone and got me my Dextrose drip.

Advocate for yourselves, ladies!! In all things female and diabetes!!”

~~

About 10 years now as a T1D, I think. Pump (omnipod) and CGM (dexcom). In my reproductive years and maaaaaaybe perimenopause now. I haven’t noticed any BG changes due to hormones. I no longer use hormonal birth control. I was on Ortho for a long time and recently tried two new ones but the emotional side effects are just not worth it for me. I am not a cryer and I do not like crying 15 times a day!”

PERIMENOPAUSE/MENOPAUSE

I’m T1D and am currently experiencing perminopause.

I can no longer predict, based on BG values, what is happening, is going to happen, or has happened. It’s all…over…the place. During a 6-month period-free place, my BG’s were the most stable they’be been. Huge indication to me of other hormonal involvement (than during those times I was experiencing more regular hormonal pushes).

Last week I spent a few nights awake due to night sweats and general inability to sleep, as well as some emotional/mood swings.

That being shared, BG’S were crazy. Running 240-330.”

~~

“I’m T1D and I think I am falling into the perimenopausal phase. I most definitely find patterns of resistance and sensitivity that coincide with hormones. To the point of using different basal rates according to the estrogen/progesterone/testosterone levels-but that seems to be lessening as I am beginning to have less estrogen.
Diet - cravings are less so and that of course helps avoid the yo-yo effect.
Pumper with CGM is the only way I could possibly survive the flux of the human drugstore my body generates.”

~~

“I’m T1D and currently post-menopausal.

There is so much to say about my journey with D and hormonal fluctuations as they relate to my control and management of my BGs. During my reproductive years, I was on MDI, using Beef or Pork R insulin as well as NPH and Lente. There was no talk about ICR or Basals. Everything was guesswork. I even avoided carbs so that I didn’t need much bolus insulin.

But, most importantly to me, my greatest challenge was during peri-menopause and menopause. My BGs were up and down and all around. Management seemed unobtainable. My OBGYN put me on a low dose of birth control, but this just aggravated the problem.

I was just trying to get by one day at a time. I don’t know what was worse, the crazy BGs or the terrible sweats; I saturated everything. (And my poor poor husband was woken up in the middle of every night because I needed to change the sopping wet sheets.)

It was at that time that I tossed the syringes and went on my first pump. This was a gift from God. It was a life changer.

But the best news is that one day I began to feel better. Menopause had passed, and my BGs stabilized (and no more unbearable sweats).

I am 55 years old now, and I have been on the pump for about 20 years. I have been T1D for the past 30+ years. I recommend going on it to any woman going through hormonal changes. My pump (MiniMed Medtronic) has different setting profiles which can be changed with a simple press of one button. You can change your basal needs whenever needed. Currently I use these for my swimming/exercise days and nights. In hindsight, I wish I had gone on the pump sooner and was able to change my basal needs with that press of one button.

I hope that this helps someone. Just remember, that however awful it is while you are suffering through this period in your life, THIS TOO SHALL PASS. Just hang in there.”

POST-MENOPAUSE

I was diagnosed after menopause, for which I am grateful. Pretty consistent [basal needs] except for illness or stress.”

~~

I know hormonal changes had a pretty significant effect on my BG…I had children WAAAAYYY back in the 70’s and didn’t even have blood testing at the time and definitely wasn’t on the pump. And then I had a total hysterectomy at 45 in 1997. I do know that post hysterectomy I didn’t have the monthly swings (only the everyday swings lol).”

~~

“Diagnosed Feb 2017 early 1.5/LADA. Age at Dx 61, about 10 yrs into menopause. No insulin yet, but CGM because very insulin sensitive with reactive hypoglycemia. Can’t tell anything about hormones since well into menopause. Just know that I get huge spikes with anxiety/work and exercise."

End of wiki ---------- comments start here

9 Likes

Truly outstanding! I hope this wiki keeps on going for a very long time!

1 Like

I hope so, too! Anyone who would like to contribute, please feel free to add your narrative in the comments or message me directly so I can add you anonymously!

Thanks for your help, @Michel and all of FUD land!

1 Like

This is a great topic, but not much activity here recently which is unfortunate. I have recently started on a pump and been using CGM for 18 months, after MDI for almost 25 years. I am in perimenopause or possibly menopause, and I found the wild fluctuations of my insulin basal rates and sensitivities extremely difficult. The pump has been a game changer.

The big issue is there does not seem to be very much information or research on T1 and women’s hormones. Even my endo doesn’t have much idea.

I’ve recently started on estradiol pessaries, and although these are meant to mainly effect only the local area, I have noticed a very significant increase in my insulin needs. I don’t think this is a coincidence as other lifestyle factors haven’t changed. I have not found much about the effect of HRT on diabetes. This is surprising, given that half of T1 diabetics have been through or will go through menopause, unless they are LADA.

Please direct me to any other topics or posts on this. Thanks

6 Likes

Hi @Rasheedacoo – it is definitely a shame that women’s health issues + T1 are not more widely studied and discussed! Happy to share my recent experience with menopause. Sounds like you and I are in similar situations – T1 for ~30 years and longtime MDI, although I would love to hear more about your transition to the pump (I am still an MDI holdout!). I also use a Dexcom CGM.

I’ve been post-menopausal for two years now. Had hot flashes, joint pain, and brain fog and began estradiol patch @ 0.025mcg and am now at 0.075. Pair it with 100mg progesterone at bedtime. Estradiol (systemically) has pretty definitively been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, although if you are pairing it w progesterone, that can move you the opposite direction. When I began HRT/MHT, I started with the estradiol alone and had significant drops in blood sugar using my standard ratios. Once I added progesterone (decreases sensitivity), my ratios returned to where I had been originally.

One thought for you: as you might be moving from peri- to full-on menopause, your body could be moving to a dramatic decline in production of systemic estrogen. This could be happening at the same time that you are introducing the pessaries, which could possibly account for the increased need for insulin? (A net drop in systemic estrogen…). I’ll keep thinking. This must be so frustrating.

I think it’s so important that we have these conversations here, in the open; for us, now; and to lay a path for our sisters and daughters who will face the same issues down the road. I would love to hear more about what you have been going through and what you think! xo - Jessica

6 Likes

Thanks JessicaD,

I actually mistyped. What I meant to say is that I have experienced a definite decrease in my insulin needs since starting the estradiol. This is in line with what you are saying about estrogens increasing insulin sensitivity.

I have now worked out a new insulin pump program that seems to be working with this new situation.

I am currently near the end of a Mirena IUD (progesterone) so I wonder when and whether I need to add a progesterone supplement. I’ll ask my endo at next appointment.

I love my pump. I noticed a real lightening of my mental load since I have my tandem pump on control IQ. I used to check my BG 20-30 times a day, and I found the once or twice daily basal dose was nowhere near flexible enough. I see to wake up nearly every night, check by CGM, and then need to either eat or give myself a small dose of basal. Now that hardly happens. The most I have to do is press a few buttons to deliver an extra basal dose which the pump calculates for me.

4 Likes

Starting on estradiol .025 patch today. Let’s just say menopause has me cray-cray and not loving the BG roller-coasters. Amusingly, my gyno asked if I had found any info on HRT and diabetes, as she had found basically none besides that its a factor she had to put into her calculations for serious risks. :woman_shrugging:
Anywho, not expecting results immediately, but shall report any observations.

8 Likes

My wife is currently taking the same patches… we were concerned about side effects but they’ve only been positive

6 Likes

I have recently discovered that I am not a candidate for any kind of hormone replacement given my complex migraines on extremely low dose birth control back pre-kids.

This should be fun. Perimenopause has already started being a blast (sarcasm font).

Well…I definitely don’t want a stroke…so I don’t want to take anything that my body would not tolerate well…I’m just praying that the Menopause Gods treat me with mercy.

I hope the estradiol is helping balance things out for you!

7 Likes

…and I’ve also noticed that my resting heart rate fluctuates with my hormonal cycle.

My daily resting heart rate fluctuates about 8 bpm…it is lowest when my hormonal cycle resets, it is highest during the highest hormone days (which is also when insulin resistance is its highest along with carb sensitivity). I walk 5-6 miles every day so I don’t believe that fluctuating activity is causing the repetitive swing.

8 Likes

This thread is fascinating! I never even considered the way hormone shifts (currently have Mirena IUD) could be impacting my insulin needs… I don’t even know where to start to track those things together. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Any folks with things you wish you’d known regarding T1D and pregnancy? Read a few threads here, and going to check out the book recommendations too.

I’m 29 currently; still not sure whether we will try for biological children. We are in research mode and just considering our options.

My endo gave me a basic low-down on how she likes to manage. She said she requires her patients to have a 6.0 or lower A1c for 6 months prior to trying to get pregnant, then staying at 6.0 or less throughout trying/pregnancy. With my intro to sugar surfing and FUD, I’m feeling like that A1c goal might actually be possible for the first time in my life.

Endo also requires monthly endo appointments, regular ob/gyn appointments, and regular maternal/fetal medicine appointments.

I have a nondiabetic friend who just entered her second trimester with her first child. Her nausea in the first kinda freaks me out regarding what low BG treatment would look like…

6 Likes

You can micro-dose glucagon to treat lows for when you are nauseous.

As little as 5 units of glucagon brings me up about 20 points.

If you get a prescription to Gvoke (the injectable shelf-stable glucagon), and some empty vials, it’s very easy to do!

As for whether it’s safe to take glucagon during a pregnancy, consider that ever single non-diabetic woman on the planet takes glucagon throughout their pregnancy. It’s a natural hormone, just like insulin.

Talk to your doc about it.

7 Likes

I have had two Type 1 pregnancies…both went well without complications. These were 13 and 10 years ago.

My first pregnancy I used Lantus, Humalog and fingersticks.
My second pregnancy I used Lantus, Humalog, fingersticks and Dexcom.

I cannot imagine doing a pregnancy without Dexcom…or a pump…now. But I made it work and without a ton of actual help from any of my doctors! I had a high risk OB…and an endo…and I was still the most educated person on my team as far as blood sugar management and my body.

So if you have an actually engaged and supportive team…that’s great!

My endo did not want my A1C any lower than 6.0 and I would get finger wags for being in the 5’s. He said the frequent lows were not worth the risk. Everyone can have their own opinion about that on here. But I personally tend to agree with him given the volatility of blood sugar, hormones, and nausea.

One thing I would consider if I were doing it again (aside from having better tools than I had back then) would be consulting with Gary Scheiner’s group (Integrated Diabetes Services) for pregnancy support. Depending on your relationship with your endo…you may want someone else on your team who is really rooting for you rather than being stressed out about their medical liability with a high risk pregnancy. My team during my second pregnancy was a trainwreck for a couple of reasons. So…if your endo is not diabetic herself, I personally would add Gary Scheiner’s all diabetic team to my support team.

It is very doable. Fortunately, and I am trying not to sound too cynical here, the medical community understands the importance of good patient support during high risk pregnancy in a way that I typically do not see them behave in routine Type 1 adult patient care. That can be both good and bad…good in that you get additional support and attention which is great if your rapport with your doctor is good and they think and act like a human being overall…it can be not so great if you are doing your best in challenging circumstances and your doctor is being a robotic control freak with very little practical advice to offer (that happened in my second pregnancy).

There are a lot of appointments. With the endo, with the OB, and lots of imaging from the very start to keep an eye on the heart and the spine and all the things. But I ended up with a photo album full of awesome ultrasound pictures and my non-diabetic mom friends were jealous of how much I got to see my kiddos ahead of time.

You can totally do it. And it is to your credit that you are researching it ahead of time. It was a full time job for me when I did it…but the tools and support available now might make it less onerous than it was back then. I’m rooting for you, whatever you decide!

6 Likes

That’s great to know – and would definitely give peace of mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! This is all super helpful. :pray:

Now that I have a CGM, I also can’t believe I’ve been flying pretty blind for the last 20 years… and that would only be harder during pregnancy!

Fascinating that your endo gave the opposite A1c advice. I’ll have to ask mine about the reasoning behind her approach. I’ve really liked her so far, been seeing her a couple years now. But of course a pregnancy would be a much more intense endeavor than day to day adjustments. Integrated Diabetes Services sounds like a great resource if we get serious about proceeding.

Lots of other anxieties to work through before making any choices of course… but mostly ones that are not unique to diabetics. :joy:

Thank you again!

6 Likes

@T1Allison Boo! to not being able to use HRT for menopause. It has seriously changed everything. Some great, some meh, but I’ve decided that the meh is worth it. I’m at .0375 patch, and zero hot flashes, and only non-hormonal, regular crazies. At first I was super insulin sensitive sometimes, which was annoying to deal with. After 4 months, its evened out. Slightly more sensitive, and down 2 units of Tresiba a night.
The weird thing is, and my gyno swears its not the estrogen(bear with me, this is hard to explain) Warning, may be TMI!
My whole life, unless I’ve been basically starving myself, I’ve had some extra padding, especially in the boobs(C). When I went into DKA, leading to dx, I lost ALL padding. Think training bra, looking like a 10 year old boy. Skip ahead 7 years to like a year ago, I was back up to a smallish B, and perfect weight for me. After estrogen patch, I’m at largeish C, and getting a bit Rubenesque. I’m exercising, not eating any differently than a year ago. So, I asked my gyno and PCP, and they say no way is it the estrogen. I went off it for 2 weeks to experiment, and lost 10 lbs, and some boobage. But the crazies and burning up constantly came back. And now I’m back on it, and yup, hello padding!

Ok, that’s my story.

7 Likes

That is fascinating and is yet another data point in my theory that doctors have no clue how hormones functionally interact throughout all of the systems of the body. Western medicine and all of their silos are insane so much of the time…yet they tell us that WE are crazy bc we’re seeing correlations over and over and over across bodily systems that must be discussed in different chapters of their medical book…therefore they can’t interact or else it would be in the same chapter…duh, Allison!

Okay. Rant on pause for now bc I would be lying if I said, “Rant over.”

I’m glad you’re finding something that helps you. The only thing that my doctor could offer if I hit problems down the road is a pill…that she said the name of and described it as “a non-hormonal menopause pill”…but I’ve been around the block and I knew it was an antidepressant and I asked her about that. She said, “Well…yeah…but it works on a part of the brain that is located close to where the hormone part of the brain is…so it helps via proximity…”

Aside from the fact that I think that is a crock of shizzle…it brings to mind Wanda Sykes’ standup routine in which she discusses that menopause medical support STILL comes down to, “B!tch, you crazy, here’s some crazy pills!” [Wanda cannot use HRT bc of the type of breast cancer she had. So she’s SOL, too.]

And I’m not saying that antidepressants are crazy pills…but I would like the doctor to TELL ME that what she would prescribe is an antidepressant if that’s what it is classified as.

Okay…NOW rant on pause bc I gotta go do geometry homework…

5 Likes

To be fair Allison, you are crazy. /s

6 Likes

@Chris Awww…I feel so seen! And this kind can’t be fixed by pills! :joy:

6 Likes

Hahahaha – I am on the run, but did want to mention (through the magic of instagram targeting…!), there is a new non-hormonal, non antidepressant (as far as I can tell) medication for menopause / hot flashes at least. Veozah. It is on my screen at least 45% of the time I’m looking at it. Meta knows what it’s doing. Anyway, thought I’d throw it out there if you’re still looking at an option.

(Also, I do have chronic migraines and effectively use MHT, but if yours are hormonally driven, it may take that off the table. Female bodies are fun.) xoxo

4 Likes