Welcome, introduce yourself here!

That is true, what kind of tech do you currently use for your D management.

3 Likes

Thank you! Love the Netherlands, have spent a little time there and have some wonderful friends there. We lived in Norway for 3.5 years.

4 Likes

Currently a TSlim pump with Dexcom G6. I have always loved taking pump breaks but have to admit I’m getting pretty addicted to Control IQ shutting down my basal to diminish lows. So good overnight…

5 Likes

We use the same combination and I agree totally with you. Our overnight is perfect with Control IQ. Honestly, we use the overnight mode 23.9 hours per day since my son likes the results he gets with the lower target.

3 Likes

Oops I said Control IQ but meant to say Basal IQ! I was offered the Control IQ when I got it a few months ago but my “old school” ways of management felt a little terrified about a pump giving me boluses. (I also prefer syringes to pens lol!) Would love to make the transition at some point but want to learn more about it and hear others’ experiences. Glad to hear your son is having a great experience with it!

3 Likes

You have a lot in common with my son. He still uses syringes with his pump because he likes the speed of action when he delivers a bolus into his calf. So we go through a box of syringes a month even though he pumps. He is a bit of a control freak. When you get around to it, I think you can also give Control IQ a try, hopefully in the next generation of software they will allow you to go back and forth between Control IQ and Basal IQ if our survey answers have any power.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that Carrie is a women’s name, here is our Women’s Health Wiki, might be a good place to start if you haven’t already seen that.

4 Likes

Great, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Welcome, @jbcb03! I’m so glad to see you here. :heart_eyes: I meant to welcome you earlier, but couldn’t remember to do so when I was actually at my laptop. You have a lot of good wisdom and experience that will help others, so please feel free to share when the opportunity is right.

For anyone else, Carrie, is my niece, and I am her unbiased aunt. :wink: She was the first person I knew who used a CGM, and got me started using one. :sunflower:

7 Likes

Welcome @jbcb03,
I’m also a new Tandem convert this past July. As @Chris said, I use the “sleep” mode 24 hours/day, and still tweaking a bit. The zero basal segments get me in trouble sometimes, with rebound high see-saw. Feels like chasing my tail sometimes.

Do you use the T:Connect app?

3 Likes

What are zero basal segments? And no, I don’t use the app…tell me about it. Do I need it? I’m only using basal IQ - not control IQ - at the moment.

3 Likes

I started with CIQ, so not sure how its different for BIQ only, but hope it works for BIQ too.

Below is link to Tandem site for T:Connect. There is a web version and phone app version.
I set up phone app (T:Connect Mobile) on my android phone. Then linked it to my web account. Once set up, the pump/cgm data is sent to phone, and easier to see details vs drilling down in pump menus.
My doctor’s office has access to see once loaded to web. It shows various reports/stats from the pump and cgm data.

2 Likes

When cgm data is trending down, and it predicts you will go low, it first reduces basal. If still going low, at some point reduces to zero. Stays at zero until bg is heading back in range. But many times if zero for too long, bg goes up too high, even though nothing eaten.
I tend to be impatient, and add bolus, to get back down, rather than slower rise from increased basal when pump finally decides to increase.

3 Likes

Welcome Carrie! So glad to have you here!

4 Likes

Welcome Carrie! I love that this group is a family affair too!

Lisa

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,
My name is Rich from Sydney Australia. Type 1 for 34 years. Tandem T SLim X2 pump, Dexcom G5/6 with Xdrip. Love cycling, animals and healthy eating

11 Likes

Welcome, Rich, it is great to see you join!

3 Likes

Hi Rich, welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome, and wow, 34 years puts you in our “experienced” group here. Looking forward to learning more about you and your insights on the boards. Also, 16 years from now when move to our “really experienced” group of diabetics. btw - the groupings are mine and completely informal, it is amazing how many folks have thrived despite the lack of tools in the good old days of diabetic care.

6 Likes

Welcome to the group Rich!

2 Likes

I’m not saying welcome to anyone anymore. Not because I’m unfriendly but because whenever I say welcome, people are never heard from again, or they soon disappear. @Henrik, @Momofm, @finny1981 … It’s kinda scary. :skull:

3 Likes