My Fiancé Hates My Dexcom

I HATED those alarms! I eventually switched to the Libre 14-day CGM instead.

Problem with that 3:00am alarm, regardless of any type of correction, which is usually a glucose tablet, is time. The alarm rings and rings and rings because it added glucose doesn’t show up for a while. Sometimes that alarm keeps sending me an alert an hour later! Alright already. I took care of it. Now let me and everyone in the house go back to sleep.

Ever since I switched to the Libre, plus using Toujeo - not Lantus - plus night time check, (with a glucose tab nearby in case I feel wonky) I’ve slept the whole night through… As for me, I’d never, ever eat a candy bar before bedtime. That would be disastrous roller coaster: way too high +350, followed by an unpredictable response due to insulin. If I decide to eat a night time snack, I go for applesauce or a very small handful amount of salted pecans and almonds.

1 Like

I keep OJ by the bed. A container of the MinuteMaid unrefrigerated kind. And vegan gummy bears in the nightstand.

I think my husband woke up the first couple of times, he’s a light sleeper, but he literally keeps snoring through it now. It goes off easily during the day as I have it set at 80 to give me plenty of warning in case I need to do something about it.So I think he got used to hearing it and ignoring it.

I also have my Dexcom set so it doesn’t repeat the alarm for 30 minutes. That hopefully gives plenty of time for anything to absorb enough.

3 Likes

If I didn’t have a peanut and tree nut allergy I would definitely do that! I am unfortunately limited in that regard.

I had the worst night with my Dexcom ever last night. Lady cycle is on the way, and my BG dropped below 40 - so my Dexcom was just reading LOW for about an hour. I was able to get it back up to 92 for a very little bit with a handful of Skittles, but it plummeted back down to 55 about an hour and a half before I was supposed to wake up. 6 1/2 hours of sleep last night. I need to contact my Endo today. He’s either going to have to agree I split my lantus dose or put me on another basal. I’m so over this.

3 Likes

Girl same. I set it to 30 min intervals but my middle of the night lows are just SO persistent it seems. I shoot up about 20-40 mg/dl but it doesn’t last more than an hour before I start dropping again… Something’s gotta give. :tired_face:

2 Likes

Ever try glucose tablets?

2 Likes

If you haven’t already seen it, this is a pretty good thread, and if you search there are others.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to pick some up today. I was told on here that the fruit punch ones at Walmart are good lol.

You will also find 15 gram liquid glucose “shots” for those deep lows.

1 Like

No, the endo doesn’t have to agree to split your dose. It’s your body and your decision. The endo gives medical advice, and it is wise to consider it seriously. But a BG below 55 is considered medically significant, and must be dealt with, and you have both the authority and primary responsibility to do so. If the low is a repeating daily pattern rather than a 1-time fluke, it demands a dosing change.

If you were to mention to your endo that your BG dropped below 40 overnight I’m confident that you would get a significant reaction.

Just because the endo has been granted access to your CGM data, that doesn’t mean they are watching it or noticing problems. That’s not how it works in real life.

7 Likes

Also make certain to state that the low was verified via fingerstick, and not just the CGM reading.

5 Likes

Unless you’re sweating profusely, and hands are to shaky to get test strip out!

2 Likes

Absolutely. Always verified with a fingerstick.

That’s valid lol

I agree, I was making this statement for how you inform the Endo involved.
Not that doing a fingerstick at that low isn’t important on it’s own. But we all know how unreliable CGMs are when not in their sweet spot for BG numbers.
I don’t trust my CGM under 70 or over 250 (not saying its accurate above 140, but close enough to dose off of.)

3 Likes

@Necroplasm I also have cookies that are broken into quarters or halves for 8 carbs. Cookies aren’t as good for a fast acting response, but if it’s repeated low, they last longer to keep you higher. I run into that on my snorkeling days. I reduce my basal on those days, but sometimes it’s not enough if it was really a workout.

If you are dropping repeatedly at night your basal needs to be reduced. I never waited for a doctors input on changing any of my dosing. Lows can be very serious. If you feel more comfortable asking your doctor first, call him and leave a message and I bet you get a pretty fast response.

6 Likes

Maybe for some, but with over 55 years of diabetes, I’m pretty good at knowing when I’m low, and knowing a number has no value to me or endo.

3 Likes

There are also glucose gummies if that’s more to your liking.

4 Likes

Agreed, and I rarely test mine any more. But this is in context of someone that is just getting acquainted with managing their diabetes.

2 Likes

Do tell please? Is one brand better than another?

2 Likes

We haven’t tried them yet but a search for glucose gummies on Amazon will return quite a varying selection. Hopefully someone on FUD can review or point us to previous reviews of them.

4 Likes