Which would you change....Dexcom G5 runs 40 points low

Additionally, what will happen with aging on the sensors is similar to what happens with strips. i.e. you have some enzyme fixed into a matrix stored dry. This is a pretty robust system, so of course there will be some enzyme that dies over time, but it is not as bad as if it was stored wet when the enzyme would have more ability to easily move and can denature. It won’t last forever, but we know through the companies testing that it will last at least a year, so in the real world it will probably last much longer. But eventually enough of the enzyme will kick the bucket and the sensor won’t work correctly. (Note this assumes good storage conditions, improperly stored sensors will die faster, glucose oxidase is not indestructible)

3 Likes

Following Up: New G5 transmitter has worked beautifully in:

1. A sensor from the same box of my oldest shipment
  2. A sensor from the same box of my newest shipment

I was experiencing essentially the random number generator effect with the last transmitter with sensors from these boxes. Now the sensors (and transmitter) are performing as desired.

Just wanted to let people know how the experiment turned out. I’m almost positive I’ve seen this happen before and that a fresh transmitter ended up playing better with my batches of sensors than the last transmitter.

Just fyi.

4 Likes

I just scanned through this thread hoping to find some insight. Last night, after dinner out, I surged over 250 but my G5 missed it completely!! I knew I was running a little high post-meal (yeah, needed more insulin up front and as mid-course correction) but didn’t finger stick until I calibrated after the CGM leveled out…3 hours later. The reading lagged by 80 points!!! :scream_cat::scream_cat: I used a 4-unit Afrezza to deal with the high BG.

So after reading all this, I guess I will switch my next sensor to the left arm (have been using my right arm for the last two years) and finger stick more often for a while to figure out if scar tissue may be the problem. Hah, and fingerstick more often after meals out!

1 Like

@CatLady, Did you happen to have any alcohol w dinner? I’ve noticed that my sensor gets tricked into either missing climbs OR showing false drops about half of the time when I drink liquor. I now verify everything w finger stick before acting if I’ve had a drink. I assume it’s got something to do w chemistry but that’s clearly out of my depth.

3 Likes

Just one glass of wine, which usually doesn’t bother me until perhaps the next morning, when I might need more carbs or less insulin.

Gotcha. Just to super clarify, it seems alcohol impacts the accuracy of my sensor…which is totally separate from alcohol’s effect on my bg.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, no coffee yet this morning! :coffee:

But no, I have not generally observed that effect.

1 Like

LOVE THIS !!! Pong lives!! and it’s a perfect description in my feeble mind, lol

3 Likes