What's your Covid skill?

I’m sure I’m not alone here in this skill but the Covid world has really helped me hone my barber skills. I used to be nervous and take a painful hour per cut (still with bad results) but now I get each head done in 10 min and I’m proud of them! Kids love them, mama loves them… Who knows maybe I’ll be the designated barber post covid and save that money. Lol. With so many heads to trim we spent over a hundred per trip Pre-covid.

What’s your Covid skill??

13 Likes

This is very impressive and a useful skill to have. How do I know? well I dont have any beautiful pics like yours, so you’ll just have to take my word for it: I, too, have become quite a skilled hairdresser. And, just like yourself, the beginning (its always that first time thats the absolute worst on the fear factor) was a challenge. I used a buzzer on my husband and old fashioned sheers on my father. Both turned out alright, and as I got better, I got bolder. Now I feel practically un necessary when my husband goes out to the barbershop and bypasses my hard earned skills. :rofl:

But, for you ladies out there: I learned how to wax the legs you absolutely refuse to shave. I practiced on myself first; of course this all ended after I had my back surgery…but as I heal, I can actually see a bright future in it for me. Perhaps I’ll hang up a shingle.

Thanks for posting the thread. Way to go!!!

6 Likes

@ClaudnDaye, can I get a 10:30 appointment for a haircut?

6 Likes

Actually, I haven’t been sheltering lately, but I did learn how to make Clorox wipes from back when those were impossible to get.

5 Likes

I’ve been watching Moonshiners…those guys know how to make anything from Disinfectant to wipes, to fuel for vehicles and don’t forget…Moonshine. Smart group of hillbillies. :smiley: I can say that since my family (and me) are all hillbillies.

5 Likes

Another passion I’ve taken back up (2.5 decades since I stopped collecting) was sports card collecting…I had forgotten how much fun that is. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Also, you can probably get some amazing sports card deals since I think we reached peak sports card collecting around the time you quit.

2 Likes

Yeah, I found out during Covid that my MASSIVE collection of late 70’s - 90’s sports cards were basically worthless due to overproduction. There are error cards worth money though and I’ve found myself going to that level in collecting of enjoying the researching part of each card.

2 Likes

As for my Covid Skill, I love cooking and so not being in a restaurant for 9 months wasn’t really a problem, but I did get to make my college aged son a simplified cookbook for his first apartment full of recipes that can be done quickly or in a crock pot but are still tasty. Turns out I didn’t go quite as simple as I thought, when my son thought a dutch oven was the liner to the crock pot and blew that up on the stove…Picture cookbook coming soon…

11 Likes

Great thread!
Not a new skill, more a remembering of an old one. I’ve always done some balcony gardening, but, due to Covid and restrictions, we were finally able to snag a spot at a community garden in 2020. I did spend part of my childhood on a farm, and organic growing tips started popping up in my head. Who knew that I had actually soaked up that much knowledge? Our little plot is shaping up nicely, and now I’m teaching some of the older gardeners new things!
20210620_071712

20210803_183513

12 Likes

Great thoughts @ClaudnDaye! If my family heard this they would most definitely laugh out loud at this but my newly refined Covid skill is house cleaning/organization! For me, working full time outside the house, raising kids and all the other day to day stuff used to take priority over house stuff!

Working from home during the pandemic has given me the time & focus to relearn the simple skills of doing things a little bit at a time (and not procrastinating) :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Ha! Fun question…I taught myself to knit, play piano, play guitar, carve soapstone sculptures and hone my paint and draw skills. I excelled at none but can now do all! Also started my Masters program because I had the free time not commuting back and forth to work. Still working on being able to do the splits, but at 41 I may have to let that dream go lol

4 Likes

@PP777 - Overachiever. :smiley:

That is awesome! I would love to be able to draw even a decent stick figure. Sad story follows…when I was a kid and Bob Ross was one of the only shows I was able to watch (long story), I tried doing what Bob did…he made it sound soooooo easy… Just put this little tree here, you decide, this is your tree…bla bla bla. His trees, rocks, creeks, mountains all looked like divine intervention. I would pause on every little thing he did to make sure I had the right brush, paint, stroke style, bla bla bla… No matter what I did, my landscape looked NOTHING like his painting. I would put them up beside each other when I was done to get my mom and dads opinion on it and they did one of those…“oh, that’s really good son” while trying to contain the laughter. Still to this day I don’t know how Bob made it look so easy…well, I do know - sheer talent…some people have it and other people wish they did.

Kudos on taking up so many new hobbies!!

Side Note - I do have a brother who is a phenominal artist…only catch? He can ONLY draw or paint when he’s going through one of his bipolar states…when he’s on his meds he can’t draw/paint a lick…well, he says he doesn’t have the desire to do any art when he’s on his meds.

5 Likes

That’s soooo sad:( I have heard so many stories of a single scenario that stopped people early on from ever trying again with Art. Very interesting about your brother, I’ve never heard of that before!

2 Likes

Liam is a really good artists! He’s constantly drawing things and now is into shading…he just drew a compass rose for one of his classes and shaded it really nicely and had me cut it out for him so he could “use it” like a compass. lol. I never gave up on art, though…I’ve tried many times throughout the years and have still sucked during every attempt. :laughing:

4 Likes