Lifelong learning

I thought I would start this thread out of curiosity. I love learning new skills and knowledge and I am guessing that some others on this site might be the same. :slight_smile: My chellenge is that there’s too much I want to learn and too little time and energy.

Anyone else? What have you self-taught yourself or learned through taking courses out of pure interest? What’s on your to-learn list next? (Maybe I shouldn’t ask this question, I might get more ideas to add to my long to-learn list!)

4 Likes

I want to learn how to keep my Bg at 100 with an SD of 15. :smile:

5 Likes

This might sound odd, but I am trying to increase my awareness of exact amounts of carbs and proteins I eat so that when I need insulin I will be better prepared. Have already changed to Keto diet. Yes, I follow Dr Bernstein.

I read a lot and have a Libre to watch glucose trends. Future read will include Sugar Surfing, when I transition to insulin.

I would also like to go to a conference. I don’t really know anyone, outside forums and Facebook, that is Diabetic. The diabetic education group around me is pretty lame. Only 5 people, all retired and T2, showed up. The meeting I went to just talked about hurricane preparedness. (I’m in south Florida) Only useful information was that I could get extra supplies, 3 month instead of 1 month, due to potential hurricane. Did get some nice lotion samples.

My goal, normal glucose levels, two feet with 5 toes each, no dialysis, good eyesight, and total independence until the day God takes me home.

3 Likes

Ha, I actually had non-diabetes learning in mind when I posted this. :slight_smile:

But yes, learning how to keep my BG flatlined at all times would be nice!

3 Likes

Same for me. I plan to go to TCOYD conference next year, and possibly go to Joslin medal award.
In past I have attended Diabetes Unconference and may attend again.

I am increasing my Financial/Retirement planning knowledge and skills. Watching the stock market is often similar to watching my Dexcom-- no rhyme or reason to the ups and downs.:grinning:

3 Likes

I am learning how to forge stuff. I have a friend with a forge and it is blasted fun. So far I have a leaf and a letter opener that don’t look like a lump of crap.

6 Likes

That’s awesome! What a cool skill!

At some point, after I’m done with school probably, I want to buy a sewing machine and learn how to alter clothes. I get frustrated buying clothes when I can see that they would look so much better if they fit me just a little differently! Plus, the ability to add pockets to things would be so handy…

6 Likes

Something related to data collection/analysis. I’m in awe at the diligence of the community. Ultimate goal: to become less cantankerous arround all things diabetes. Also auto mechanics is a solid skill I need to improve.
Also, same as @glitzabetes. Hadn’t even considered more pockets!
The list is growing.

4 Likes

Taking yoga teacher training was a big step out of my comfort zone…and through a doorway to lifelong learning. :woman_in_lotus_position:t3:

3 Likes

First on my list of future learning is playing the piano and/ or guitar. I love music.
Second would be to find an adult ballet class.

As to others, I am always learning new things. I grew up with a cheap father. If I couldn’t figure out how to make it myself, then I could go without. So:
I have refinished furniture.
I have painted, plastered, stripped and hung wall paper.
I have laid tile.
I have designed, built, and installed bathroom counters and cabinets.
I have designed, built, and grew a huge raised bed herb and rose garden.
I can sew, I especially like heirloom sewing.
I used to make and smock all my daughter’s dresses
I have made soap truly from scratch, including rendering the fat.
I have made baskets, candles, lotions, makeup, herbal and essential oil concoctions.
I roast my own coffee beans.
I used to make all candy from scratch. Things like brittles, toffees, and truffles.
I used to make my own chocolates and still have about 100 vintage chocolate molds.
I have taken professional baking and cake decorating classes.
I used to bale all my own breads and pastries.
I taught myself pointed pen calligraphy and actually made some money doing it.
Basically, I was born in the wrong century. I love learning how to do things from scratch.

Just about the only thing I have never figured out is how to organize and clean a house. :confused:

BTW I agree that forging sounds very cool! Maybe after ballet class?

6 Likes

This is on my to-learn list, too! I took piano lessons for a few years as a kid, but I’d really like to re-learn the skill and go further. (And my brother is a musician, so musical ability is hidden somewhere in my genes!)

Did you just turn 30? Because when I turned 30 that fact of life was revealed to me and I actually cried about it. I was beside myself that I couldn’t do it all. I was in the middle of graduate school.

This is a great question though!

I’ve gone through a lot of phases in learning about things, I’m currently in the middle of medical research for some health stuff that is bothering me. And learning how to sew my own clothes - with tons of pockets!!!

Prior to this: raising chickens, gardening, art from watercolor painting to bronze casting (I teach art, but always want to know more about different things to keep it interesting), and computer stuff has been featured in my deep dive sessions.

I have a significant issue with follow through as life seems to get in the way of completing projects. But I’m trying to develop more grace towards myself about this. I remind myself I’m just really optimistic and a chronoptimist, and that tomorrow is a new day and I can try to get stuff done then. :grin:

4 Likes

I’m turning 37 next week. :slight_smile:

I was also in graduate school when I did turn 30, though.

My next big decision regarding learning is whether I want to do a Ph.D. and, if so, when I want to do it.

1 Like

I hope this improves for you soon. It seems quite a few of us are dealing with health struggles lately (I mean, aside from diabetes).

I think part of the reason for me posting about this topic is that in the past few days, I’m finally starting to feel more human.

My health has been really poor since the summer. There was a point where I literally could barely function. So, of course, when I finally see some light at the end of the tunnel, the first thing I think about is all the projects I want to work on now that I actually have a bit of energy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a bit off topic, but I recently found several documentary shows on Netflix that have been very interesting and learning many new things and refresher of historical events.

Some examples:
Follow This,
The Pixar Story,
The decades… Sixties, seventies,…
Inside Einstiens mind

3 Likes

I love these types of Netflix shows. I watch more shows like this than I do fictional shows. Same with books, probably 90% of what I read is non-fiction… Of course, some of that is just popular science fluff type stuff, but some is deeper.

YouTube is another good source of documentaries sometimes. I also just learned about a new service called CuriosityStream, which is like a Netflix for documentaries. I haven’t tried it, so no idea if it’s any good.

2 Likes

Same here. I quit after a few years and wish I hadn’t. But, I quit about 3 years before they figured out I needed glasses. I couldn’t see the music. LOL

1 Like

That would definitely make things more challenging.

I’m legally blind, and as a kid I took lessons with theory books large enough that I could see them if I wore super strong reading glasses to magnify the print and put my face right up to the page (they were the type of books where you’d colour in notes and such). But I was never able to see music while playing. As a teenager, I took lessons from a lady who was blind, so she was able to teach me some braille music (since I was already a braille reader). I’ve tried several setups to read print music in the past few years, from a head-worn video magnification device (JORDY) to using a tablet to enlarge music. But it’s challenging because by the time the notes are large enough for me to see, I’m zoomed in so much that I can only see one stave, and I have to count lines to figure out where the note is sitting. So I think braille music is the way to go, but there are no beginner materials available in braille. So that is something I will have to sort out whenever I decide to sign up for lessons (which might be the new year).

1 Like

As for going for your PhD, I will give you the same advice I gave my daughter.

Go for it as soon as you can. The older you are, the more things are tugging at you and the harder it is. Also, the longer you put it off, the more excuses you can make not to go back. If you are not sure you actually want/need a PhD, that’s one thing. If you absolutely know you want one, go with the momentum and get it straight away.

I got my MSN as a divorced, single Mom, working full time nights so I could go to classes as well as see my daughter. It was terrible. I slept in naps at the library, often getting only 3 hrs sleep each day for weeks on end. Don’t know how I didn’t kill myself or someone else on the highways.

My daughter went straight through for her Masters and then her PhD. She did get married in the middle, but it was so much less stressful for her than it had been for me.

3 Likes