What?!?!?

I know you are joking, but it’s interesting.

In its storage form, glucose is stored in long strands as glycogen. And glycogen does not activate the taste receptor for sweetness.

4 Likes

I know I will probably regret this, but how exactly do you know how glycogen tastes?

4 Likes

Easy, just search for it.

The gustatory system recognizes chemical stimuli that elicit 1 of 5 distinct perceptual qualities: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami (the savory taste of glutamate) (1). Stimulus detection occurs through specialized taste cells, clustered together in small groups (taste buds) found predominantly on the dorsal surface of the tongue and soft palate. Activation of these cells by taste stimuli releases neurotransmitters onto afferent cranial nerve fibers, causing transmission of taste information to the brain. The brain then processes this taste information, along with other sensory information (including olfactory, thermal, and textural), to elicit the perception of flavor and in the context of experience,

2 Likes

Somehow I believe that Eric might have more “experimental” and personal results than googling it.

3 Likes

Do you remember the attempt to insert the Dexcom sensor into my vein, to remove the lag? Hematoma fun-times! :joy:

4 Likes

If I’m too lazy to walk to the other side of the room, or reach under the couch, I’ll use a syringe sometimes.

Interestingly, never tried that in my first 25 years of blood testing.

2 Likes

Well presumably other animals’ livers play a similar role?

1 Like

You can get it on eBay for like $5. It is incredibly beneficial for me, though I have a bit of a unique set of circumstances. I have raynaud’s syndrome and have poor circulation in my hands. The vacuum on the genteel never fails to get blood, even when every other device I have would.

3 Likes