What the Health

Don’t get me wrong. Just cause I might call something processed doesn’t mean I wouldn’t eat it. It is pretty hard to find something I won’t eat if it is placed in front of me.

Heck ya! That was gone quite a while ago. Best processed salmon I ever tasted. The halibut wasn’t bad either👍Thanks!

1 Like

Well if you didn’t get botulism from it maybe it’s safe for me to try myself. (Kidding)

2 Likes

I am with you on that. Like boneless chicken wings. Really? A boneless chicken? Where I come from, that’s called a squid.

Or the worst of the worst, the McRib!

Chicken breasts have no bones… well if they’re removed from the rest of the chicken anyway… pork loins… brisket, quite a lot of boneless cuts of meat out here but I get what you mesn. A boneless chicken breast isn’t really mystery meat like a chicken McNugget in my mind though

1 Like

But chicken wings! Those have bones!

1 Like

Boneless chicken wings are usually just strips of chicken breasts, not actual wings. They are just referred to as wings because they are fried and sauced similarly. I suppose they could also be made with de-boned chicken thighs, but I don’t think they usually are.

2 Likes

If you source your chicken “wings” from a fast food outlet, they might not even be breast meat.

The FDA says the MSP product is entirely safe. (As I shudder.)
I still eat anything (I am one step up from fighting the dog for food) but given a choice, I will pick wings with bones over the “other thing” every time.

"MECHANICALLY SEPARATED POULTRY
is a paste-like and batter-like poultry product produced by forcing bones with attached edible tissue through a sieve or similar device under high pressure to separate bone from the edible tissue . Mechanically separated poultry has been used in poultry products since 1969 . In 1995, a final rule on mechanically separated poultry said it would be used without restrictions . However, it must be labeled as “mechanically separated chicken or turkey” in the ingredients statement . The final rule became effective November 4, 1996 . "

2 Likes

It depends on where you are—I wouldn’t get random chicken bits from a fast food joint, but the ones I’ve had at pubs and such tend to obviously be intact chicken meat, which you can tell because you can see the fibers of the meat (vs reconstituted chicken nugget/patty stuff). It’s one of the reasons Chick-Fil-A’s chicken is tastier than almost any other fast food place (their politics aside)—their nuggets and chicken sandwiches are very clearly whole pieces of meat, not MSP.

1 Like

The reason I tend to do wings over strips these days has nothing to do with chicken integrity—wings usually aren’t breaded (since they have skin on them as a barrier in the fryer to get nice and crisp), whereas strips always are, so more carbs.

2 Likes

Very interesting, I had no idea.

I heard it was from all the MSG. :laughing: They May have changed their recipe since I heard that, though (and I am a huge fan of CFA, partially because it’s one of the few fast food places I can safely eat).

1 Like

Am I wrong for LOVING me some McRib? :laughing: I always get one or two when they release them occasionally. It’s been ten years since I’ve had one, but everyone I’ve had, I’ve loved? Don’t judge! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m cool with that—honestly, MSG makes food taste delicious and there’s nothing inherently unhealthy about it at all. If you’re one of the very small minority of people who have migraines in response to it, that sucks, but for most people, it’s a perfectly reasonable way to season food, and it’s also naturally occurring in many delicious foods. I’m annoyed that just because one guy decided to very publicly blame MSG for the reason he didn’t feel good after eating Americanized Chinese food, that MSG has been so vilified for no scientific reason whatsoever.

2 Likes

Amusingly, I think that people just aren’t educated. There is MSG in everything (see link below). When someone tells me they are allergic to MSG, I ask if they eat Doritos (almost all do) with no problem, and then I just laugh internally. Because when you take your first bite you can feel the milk solids and the msg just coat your tongue and then listen to your body demand another bite. Personally, I love the flavor boost of MSG, but hate the accompanied waistline increase.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

3 Likes

Oh, I’m not dissing MSG at all (I’m pretty neutral on the subject). I just think it’s funny that people consider CFA a step up in the fast food world, the “healthier” option, and yet would say MSG is unhealthy.

1 Like

I wonder if they contain the same addicting ingredient that’s in their chicken burgers. Once about 10 years ago I was leaving a doctor’s appointment and was low and hungry and there was a McDonald’s on the corner and it sucked me in like an alien spaceship and I came to eating a chicken burger, and I swear for the next eight months I craved chicken burgers 24/7, I’d wake up wanting a chicken burger and then think about them all day and I’d finish dinner stuffed to the gills but man what I wouldn’t give for a chicken burger. It was truly scary, and I’ve never been back.

2 Likes

Don’t stop with Doritos. Most people would be shocked to learn how many even high-end restaurants keep a shaker of Accent or Mrs Dash handy, for when the stock or the sauce just doesn’t have enough oomph. Funnily enough, no one ever complains of having MSG headaches after dining in such establishments.

2 Likes

Most of my friends who are big cooking/food nerds have and use MSG at home. It’s an amazing ingredient. If you’re comfortable adding salt to things, no reason inherently why you should balk at MSG. Naturally occurring glutamates are also why lots of particularly tasty savory foods are as good as they are. Anything that gives you that umami taste probably is full of glutamates.

Also, I think the reason people consider Chick-Fil-A “healthier” is what I said before—they use whole pieces of meat vs the MSP most fast-food nuggets/chicken patties etc are made from. It’s not healthy still, mostly bc of the absolutely insane levels of sodium in their food, but it’s clearly real chicken, if that’s your concern.

1 Like